Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
The previous post is a demonstration on how to make a gasket or template and I was using an air compressor that blew up on me for the demonstration.

TeJay
What you got left of that air compressor ?. Reed head maybe ?.
Neil
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #16

For anyone thinking this is a cheap way to add to the "CHF", this solution would serve to inhibit some sway, particularly when winds push the coach body laterally against the leaf springs. It will not inhibit rocking. For that, you need an antisway bar (as described in the CHF thread), which is a front antisway bar. You could possibly add a junkyard rear antisway bar off of a dually pickup. The second rear antisway bar would further inhibit rocking more than just the front.

Cool tech, good job on the writeup, especially how to do the template.

It will be interesting to see if you have any long-term wear issues with the solid linkage. A rubber or urethane bushing is often used for one or both ends both for minor misalignment, as well as cutting driveline/axle/road vibrations from being transmitted up into the frame/body.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #17

i made a head gasket for my air compress using the paper from a 8 pack of beer 30 some years ago the same way and its still working.good write up and pictures we need more of this thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #18

I have never dismentled much of any mechanic parts, so I wonder, is there a seal or gasket between the cover and the housing of the DF?

If so, wouldn't it be simpler just to buy such gasket from Ford and use it as a template for bolts location?

This way, there would be perfect hole alignment for the steel plate... just a thought!!!
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tricolor, yes there is a gasket between the DF cover and the DF housing.

That's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that??? That's a truthful statement by the way. I never did think about buying a gasket to use as a pattern for the plate. Why didn't I think of it??? Well the first thought that went through my head was making a template using the gasket cutting method that I have done hundreds of time before and can do quite well. But your idea would work for anybody who can't do as I did or simply does not want to try to do as I did.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a gasket for the template. You just have to make sure the metal will set flat against the flat part of the differential. In other words the edges of the plate that are close to the differential housing can't hit any raised areas or the plate won't set flat that won't provide enough pressure and the DF gasket will leak fluid.

I'VE BEEN GIVING THIS SOME THOUGHT !!!!!
Think about it this way. You make a plate that fits but it has no holes. Or you make a paper pattern that fits but has no holes. In either case you have a metal plate or a pattern with no holes. Now you have to transfer the hole pattern over to the plate/paper pattern so it will bolt the plate correctly located on the DF housing.

To do that you'll have to cut those 4 bolt holes off the gasket. Stick them to the plate with some grease. Then using some double sided tape carefully put the plate in position. The double sided tape will pick up the gasket which was just stuck on with grease. The four bolt holes should be correctly placed onto the already made plate ready for drilling.
If you make a paper pattern with no holes you'll still have to transfer those holes over to the pattern. In either case it won't be to easy.

I personally think it's easier to make the template and cut the holes into the gasket with the peen side of the hammer. But what ever works for you.

TeJay
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tricolor - GREAT IDEA;

I've been putting off climbing under mine to make a template. the template just got easier.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #21

No gasket... no pattern

I just called Ford. Traditionnal gasket is repalced by silicone. No luck.

I know I don't have the skill to make myself a hard paper patern, so... I am willing to "subsidize" whoever makes me a patern for my chassis: a 158" manufactured in august 2012 (but registerd as a 2013) on 19.5" wheels, axel ratio 4.88

Anyone?
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well,
If the spirit moves me I could remove my plate and make a copy of what I built. I've got a lot of irons in the fire but you're the second person that has asked to have one made. Your DF is only one year older so I'm sure they are the same. The other guy's coach was 6-10 years older and I'm just not sure of the design changes if there are any.

On that gasket idea. I'd try some aftermarket parts houses. Just because Ford does not make a gasket does not mean that somebody else won't make one.

TeJay
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
I have a copy I made of my bracket I can send you a paper pattern. Not saying the shape of the bracket is what you want to use but the location of the holes will work if it is a Dana 80 rear axle.

PM me your address and I will mail a copy to you. My copier is only big enough to get the pattern of the rear end so the rest you can figure out what will work for you

Here is what my bracket looked like
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any reason for using 5 bolt holes??? Some of the ones that I've seen use 3 and I thought I was being extra careful using 4.

Buying that bracket at the tractor store saved you a little time building one. I never wandered around and looked at any of that stuff. After you told me about I did find them. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Were you able to use any predrilled holes in the frame?? I did. Drilling those can be a job so I avoided at least one.

TeJay
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Any reason for using 5 bolt holes??? Some of the ones that I've seen use 3 and I thought I was being extra careful using 4.

Buying that bracket at the tractor store saved you a little time building one. I never wandered around and looked at any of that stuff. After you told me about I did find them. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Were you able to use any predrilled holes in the frame?? I did. Drilling those can be a job so I avoided at least one.

TeJay
No particular reason for 5 other than I was making it out of a piece of metal that I could either use it or cut it off. An extra bolt takes a percentage of load off the others. I was able to use one hole in the frame and had to drill the other but it was pretty easy as I used one of those unistep drills.

ON the bracket I did have to ream out the hole a tiny bit as it was not for a 3/4" bolt. Probably for a 5/8 as it was oversized to 11/16.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 AM   #26

I called a truck repair shop and an auto part supplier: neither use an already made gasket and suggest using silicone
Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
PM me your address and I will mail a copy to you.
Sure will
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #28

How about tracing an aftermarket diff cover, or go down to your local NAPA and ask them if you can trace a factory replacement diff cover. Explain what you're doing and patronize them by buying some other parts.

The more bolt holes the better.
The farther apart your outside two bolt holes the better.

Tags
chassis