Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

Tranny Fluid "Leak"

Noticed some wetness on the bottom of my tranny pan. Only four years old and about 50K miles. Took it into a truck shop and turns out fluid was splashing out the vent on top of the tranny, eventually making it to the bottom and dripping onto the garage floor. Told there was about a half quart too much fluid in from the factory and not a problem other than cosmetic. Had the tranny fluid and filter changed anyway while it was in the shop (about 10K miles early). Interesting. Anyone else seen this?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happens all the time, as a retired ford field engineer, the driction from engineering was, if used for heavy duty,near or over gvw, reduce trans level.
Procedure was get trans oil temp to 190f , then with trans in park adjust level so that it is in the middle of the hash marks, which is above the add line, but below the full mark.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Happens all the time, as a retired ford field engineer, the driction from engineering was, if used for heavy duty,near or over gvw, reduce trans level.
Procedure was get trans oil temp to 190f , then with trans in park adjust level so that it is in the middle of the hash marks, which is above the add line, but below the full mark.
Thanks. I was hoping you'd respond. But I'm not sure I understand your response. If procedure was to fill to above add line but below full mark, why do you say my overfill situation happens all the time? And why the open vent that lets fluid splash out?
Old 04-21-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

The overfill happens because no shop takes the RV out and drives it hard enough to get the fluid to 190°.

In a standard duty truck the fluid rairly gets above that, while a motor home can build lots of transmission heat.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When the trans is built in another plant, they do not know what is being installed in, could be a e450,f450,or even a f650 commercial, normal driving will not get the trans oil hot enough to expand, i used to tape off the oil to air cooler and run it hard to 190+ trans oil temp, then adjust as needed. The 5 r 110 is used in a lot of applications that the consumer never sees. We even had tags that were made up for lube techs stating "trans level is correct if within hash marks."
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

While on this subject, I am looking to buy a new transmission filter for my 2000 4 speed trans
There is a choice for a "shallow" or "deep" pan filter.
How can I tell which pan I have?
Spdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
When the trans is built in another plant, they do not know what is being installed in, could be a e450,f450,or even a f650 commercial, normal driving will not get the trans oil hot enough to expand, i used to tape off the oil to air cooler and run it hard to 190+ trans oil temp, then adjust as needed. The 5 r 110 is used in a lot of applications that the consumer never sees. We even had tags that were made up for lube techs stating "trans level is correct if within hash marks."
Wow - thanks. I bet you just solved my problem. Climbing a couple thousand feet tomorrow with rig at 26K max load should get temp up. Will check fluid at next stop. Always amazes me the depth of knowledge on irv2
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdstr View Post
While on this subject, I am looking to buy a new transmission filter for my 2000 4 speed trans
There is a choice for a "shallow" or "deep" pan filter.
How can I tell which pan I have?
All 1999 and newer four speeds (4R100) have the deep pan.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Noticed some wetness on the bottom of my tranny pan. Only four years old and about 50K miles. Took it into a truck shop and turns out fluid was splashing out the vent on top of the tranny, eventually making it to the bottom and dripping onto the garage floor. Told there was about a half quart too much fluid in from the factory and not a problem other than cosmetic. Had the tranny fluid and filter changed anyway while it was in the shop (about 10K miles early). Interesting. Anyone else seen this?
Yep- I kinda had the same issue and posted here also. Got a lot of good info back from many of the same folks. My link:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/2016-...at-375983.html

I've calmed down a bit now and am living with some dampness around the vent. Don't like it but it seems to be tolerable?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

Thanks for that link Joe. Same issue and you got more detailed information. Is this forum great or what! Two different Ford guys and one of them specifically a transmission guy. Wow!

Tags
fluid, leak