Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Transmission cooler

I have a 1996 Damon Ultrasport 36' with the Ford 460 and E4OD transmission. I would like to replace the smallish air cooled transmission cooler with one with more capacity. The ones I've seen either quote the number of cooling plates, or dimensions or BTU's but most show different specifications or one like the dimension that don't tell you anything about it's ability to perform. If they all showed BTU's it would be easy to compare. Anyone know what I should be looking at?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

I would be looking at the larger cooler I could fit in there with the largest cooler fittings. The big thing is to not have smaller than stock cooler lines and fittings.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

trans cooler

Ended up buying a Tru-Cool 4590, stacked plate cooler ($99) which is about twice the size of the stock cooler currently in there. I also purchased a fan and controllable thermostat. Will install next week when it comes in and will post the results.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

As you sensibly got a thermostatically controlled electric fan, i would suggest that you don't replace the original cooler, but that you add the new one in series, after the old one. The original in a few circumstances might provide most of the cooling requirement, that circumstance being that it gets enough airflow. The coach builders never pay any attention to this.

If you plumb the new one in series after the original one, and if you do NOT give the new one ram air, then it won't overcool in winter, but the thermostatic fan will be able to supplement the cooling as required. this way, you will also find it very much easier to find a location to mount the fan as you can turn it sideways, as the electric fan is providing all the airflow.

This what I did, and the fan only comes on at walking pace or stopped, once the transmission is up to temperature, so i now suspect this is when most of the overheating happens. Just don't make my initial mistake, which was to fail to notice that air leaving the cooler had an easy path into the cabin heater air intake. I made the AC much less effective, and had to add a duct later.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a previous coach I added a ~8" 12vdc fan at the existing transmission cooler wired in parallel with existing aux radiator fan. Worked well, easy to do.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious what temperatures you are seeing with the current cooler.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
As you sensibly got a thermostatically controlled electric fan, i would suggest that you don't replace the original cooler, but that you add the new one in series, after the old one. The original in a few circumstances might provide most of the cooling requirement, that circumstance being that it gets enough airflow. The coach builders never pay any attention to this.

If you plumb the new one in series after the original one, and if you do NOT give the new one ram air, then it won't overcool in winter, but the thermostatic fan will be able to supplement the cooling as required. this way, you will also find it very much easier to find a location to mount the fan as you can turn it sideways, as the electric fan is providing all the airflow.

This what I did, and the fan only comes on at walking pace or stopped, once the transmission is up to temperature, so i now suspect this is when most of the overheating happens. Just don't make my initial mistake, which was to fail to notice that air leaving the cooler had an easy path into the cabin heater air intake. I made the AC much less effective, and had to add a duct later.
I had something similar added as well. The thermostat brings the additional cooling only when needed. A good solution.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

If you get to see both, it's remarkable how much bigger the transmission cooler is on the V-10 chassis compared to the V8.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
If you get to see both, it's remarkable how much bigger the transmission cooler is on the V-10 chassis compared to the V8.

yes, when the E4OD was updated to the 4R100, there was many changes to make it stronger and the bigger trans cooler was one of them. A big plus that is for sure. The E4OD can use a bigger cooler. Cant hurt anything that's for sure.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Trans cooler

I got the new cooler in a few days ago and installed it in line with the original cooler which turned out to be a stacked plate cooler as well. I also have a thermostatically controlled fan. I addition, I moved the temp sensor from the inspection port and using a device I found on line, attached it to the outflow line coming out of the transmission. This resulted from my last trip, which was the first one with the temp gauge. 30 miles in the trip, my gauge read 250 degrees and I pulled into a shop to see what was wrong! The mechanic checked different spots with a digital gauge and told me that where the sensor was located was not a good one, picking up engine and road heat but temps were still reading over 200. After my work today over about 10 miles and 90 degree heat, the temp gauge did not get above about 185 degrees. Whew!! Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes you should not use the outflow line coming out of the transmission. If you do you will read the TC temp and not the transmission temp. The TC temp will be much higher then the transmission temp.
Always use the inspection port on the drivers side of the transmission for the transmission temp.

subford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission