Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
isa

Triple E Owners Club
Transmission gear shift column out of alignment

Recently I noticed that when I went to shift the transmission lever into drive that it was one notch out. I initally thought that I had lost the power to the transmission only to find out that I was actually in Neutral and not Drive.

Does anyone know how to fix this so that the column indicator will show the correct gear selection?
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

ISA

I was told that it is adjustable, but it takes a Gumby person to adjust it. The detent for my Drive is just to the left of "D". I am just going to live with it.

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

ISA,

Not sure what model year your chassis is, but it's a similar procedure for most years.

Take a look at page number 7 of the "2016 Ford F-super duty basic (stripped) chassis Incomplete Vehicle manual." So the manual the body builders use when working with the F-53/F-59. https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...-19A268-AA.pdf

On the bottom of page 7 is the procedure the coach builder should have followed when the dash was put on to dial in the needle. You might get lucky and be able to somehow reach the thumb wheel without removing the steering column shroud, but I'm 99.9% certain you'll have to remove the shroud and then be able to get to the thumb wheel.

You can find your year chassis' Incomplete Vehicle manual at: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/incomp.html
dereed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa View Post
Recently I noticed that when I went to shift the transmission lever into drive that it was one notch out. I initally thought that I had lost the power to the transmission only to find out that I was actually in Neutral and not Drive.

Does anyone know how to fix this so that the column indicator will show the correct gear selection?
Jump on youtube and checkout ford f series transmission linkage fix. I have had a few ford trucks that require the 2 torx bolts tightened up under the column.

PM for the link as this is my first post and I have no clue how to imbend link.

Sonny
sbirring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbirring View Post
Jump on youtube and checkout ford f series transmission linkage fix. I have had a few ford trucks that require the 2 torx bolts tightened up under the column.

PM for the link as this is my first post and I have no clue how to imbend link.

Sonny
That's the fix had to do it to a 2000 F150. Screws were close to falling out.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
isa

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks fella's, I saw the video on u-tube now I just have to find that adjusting screw on an F-53 motorhome and at the same time ensure that the torx screws/bolts are tight. Appreciate the info.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission