Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
transmission temperature gauge

I am interested in installing a trans temp gauge in my 1997 Damon Ultrastar with the Ford 460 and the E4OD transmission. Where would I install the sensor for this installation? Any recommendations?
jluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The sensor should be installed in outlet from transmission to cooler. Could be a place for sensor to be installed, or put a 'T' fitting in the outlet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

When I had one installed on my 97 460 with E4OD the shop sent the pan out to a good welding shop and they put it in the pan. Worked like a champ.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Accutemp Transmission Temperature Adapter for 1/2" Lines

Most installs require mounting the sensor in the trans fluid pan or cutting a transmission line.

I used this device for an easy install. The manufacturer claims the difference in temperature from accurate is five degrees. I can't substantiate that but I can say with this device and an autometer guage the reaction time is very quick to temperature changes. After a few miles in different driving conditions you can sense the relative temperature extremes and it is easy to tell whther of not your transmission is showing anything irregular.

Some folks I'm sure consider this rinky dink but I have found it reliable I think accurate (relatively speaking) and easy to install w/o cutting or drilling or removing the trans pan.

Works for me.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to mention they are made in differing diameters to accomodate different makes.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Accutemp Transmission Temperature Adapter for 1/2" Lines

Most installs require mounting the sensor in the trans fluid pan or cutting a transmission line.

I used this device for an easy install. The manufacturer claims the difference in temperature from accurate is five degrees. I can't substantiate that but I can say with this device and an autometer guage the reaction time is very quick to temperature changes. After a few miles in different driving conditions you can sense the relative temperature extremes and it is easy to tell whther of not your transmission is showing anything irregular.

Some folks I'm sure consider this rinky dink but I have found it reliable I think accurate (relatively speaking) and easy to install w/o cutting or drilling or removing the trans pan.

Works for me.
I like that idea, it looks simple enough to duplicate on my own. Is it aluminum ?
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer who help engineer the E4OD says that the best place to install the temperature sender is on the drivers side at the test port.
It screws right into the transmission and no cutting or welding.

Do not believe the hype from the temperature gauge manufacturers.
Do not believe what the Transmission shops say.

For more information read the post by Mark Kovalsky in the links below:

Trans Gauges - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Inline transmission temp sender question? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Is 240 to hot???!!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Inline transmission temp sender question? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
how about an OBDII bluetooth transmitter and an android phone or tablet running the Torque Pro app? that would let you see lots of different "gauges" and also see and clear any check engine codes.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
how about an OBDII bluetooth transmitter and an android phone or tablet running the Torque Pro app? that would let you see lots of different "gauges" and also see and clear any check engine codes.
The above will not work with the OBD-I System that jluke posted about.

By the way here is the gauge I screwed into my test port:
Amazon.com: Auto Meter 3357 Sport-Comp 2-1/16" Short Sweep Electric Transmission Temperature Gauge: Automotive

/
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
In 1995, all passenger cars were required to move to OBD-II. However, trucks over 9,000 gross weight were not included in the requirement. As such, at least the 1997 Ford 460 F53 remained an OBD-I.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their help, looks like a fairly easy install. Will go check on my rv in day or so to see if I can find a test port, if not I will plumb it in the trans cooler line. Thanks again, great site!!
jluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
The test port is on the drivers side of the E4OD Transmission.

/
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wow, i knew the heavier trucks were delayed by a few years, but i didnt realize it was that long. my bad!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
I like that idea, it looks simple enough to duplicate on my own. Is it aluminum ?
Yes the device is aluminum. If you are a basic machinist you can make this easy I'm sure. The sending unit is stepped as I recall every thing else is just a hole (or half a hole) easy enough. I'm not metalugist but I think the key is that this is a highly conductive aluminum ( aircraft? if that means anything). I installed mine at the outlet for the out tubing of the transmission as close as I could get to the pan.

At any rate it transfers heat rapidly and the change is recorded on my digital guage in real time. If I approach a hill or the ambient tenperature changes it is recorded almost instantly on my guage. As to how far from actual temperature it measures I haven't a clue (the claim is five degrees) but like I say a few driving experiences and you get the relative values in your head and can tell if your transmission heats up abnormally.

It seems to me some other comments have suggested there is a port already in your transmission for a sending guage. That may be easy as well and would measure fluid temperature. To my knowledge my Allison Tans. has no such port. I could be wrong but to late now I am happy with what I have.

In the meantime I have the codes to load trans temp in my Scanguage II; so if I want I can just remove the device from my tubing and be done with it.

That is if I can get my fingers to type fast enough to load the codes. So far no luck.

Tags
transmission