Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Trick to remove serpentine belt on Ford v10??

I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser with a Ford V10. What's the best way to get the belt off and on? I can't do it from the front, as there is a full shroud around the radiator and coolers. If I try to get to it from inside the doghouse, I can't see what I am doing to get it back on.

You guys make it sound like this is a snap to do, but I must be missing something. Thanks,

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just thread the belt down, through and around the fan and rotate the fan as needed to get the belt on the back side of the fan.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you tried to change the belt from under the rv? I believe a half inch rachet is all that is needed to loosen the belt tensener enough to remove and install the belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INSPECTORBOB View Post
I have a 2000 Itasca Suncruiser with a Ford V10. What's the best way to get the belt off and on? I can't do it from the front, as there is a full shroud around the radiator and coolers. If I try to get to it from inside the doghouse, I can't see what I am doing to get it back on.

You guys make it sound like this is a snap to do, but I must be missing something. Thanks,

Bob
Jbmsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #4

Bob, although I'm pretty much a DIY person, when it comes time to change the belt, I'm taking it to a Ford HD service facility spend the $$$ (ouch) and let them do it.

Good luck, be careful and have fun,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the suggestions. I am a dyi kind of person myself, but I didn't want to be lying on my belly over the engine to get to the belt. I did check with Ford a while back. My local dealer won't work on motorhomes, and the only Ford Truck service center in the area wants $1,200 to change the belt and coolant hoses, which I think is highway robbery!! No way will I pay this. This is the same place that put the wrong fluid in my tranny as well so I will not go back there again.

I think I will try JBMSR's suggestion to go from under the rig.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was on top and bottom when I did mine. bottom to take the tension off, top to help get it on pulleys back under to put it back on the tensioner.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I was able to change mine from the top. I found that relieving the pressure on the tensioner was the most difficult part to accomplish. Once the tensioner is levered to it's max position, it was easy to rethread the belt over the pulleys, there seems to be just enough slack to get the belt over the final pulley. The whole procedure only took about 5 minutes. $1200 for belt and hose replacement, huh!!! I was obviously in the wrong business before I retired.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a belt from NAPA, and it was to short. after about an hour going from top to underneath I took my vin # to Ford got the right belt and had it on in 5 minutes. I thought getting to the tensioner from underneath to be the easeist. also look in your breifcase with the manuals that come with your rig and you should find the belt diagram that is usually under the hood.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Often the upper Tension (part#F65Z8678AAA List price $37.00)should be replaced or at least checked. After I removed the belt and spun it I heard a slight squeal. The bearing was on its way out. The belt # for my 2001 was JK81107A and list was $64.31. It is much easier to change with 2 people. One in the coach and one under. Using a longer 1/2 pull handle on the springed tensioner to remove the belt works well. I took pictures first to use as a reference to re install. Remember that belt goes from the top of the passenger side through the springed tensioner then around the ac compressor. Having a diagram would be best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00179-20101214-1416.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	7238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00182-20101214-1503.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	7239  

Jbmsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't help with belt but upper and lower radiator hoses with new clamps cost about $100 from NAPA and takes about 2 hours to change. Lower hose has diverter for coach heating.

The original clamps Ford uses is a joke. One of mine had rusted through but was still stuck to the hose, others was in really bad shape.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote