Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Triton V10 misfire the million dollar question

Just bought a 2001 Georgie Boy cruise master with the triton V10. It had set up for many years before I bought it 2 weeks ago. When I bought it I drove it home about 200 miles and only had one misfire. After cutting motor off, letting it sit for about 5 minutes, I started it back up and it ran fine. When I got it home I had new tires put on it and had them do a tune up with new plugs, wires, boots, and fuel filter.
This weekend was our first trip out in it and it ran horrible. Would misfire whenever I tried to go up a hill. Started spitting and sputtering. I would pull over, turn it off and back on and be good for about 5 or 6 miles and it would do it again. Very frustrating����
I wouldn't think it would misfire with new plugs but it did. What is causing this??? Do I have bad compression in a cylinder? Maybe picking up water in the tank???
It just seems odd that I can turn it off and back on and it runs fine for a minute.
Oh, it only has 20,230 miles on it
LVFISHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel filter?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Mechanic said he replaced the fuel filter.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Would a bad fuel pump cause this issue?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Oops, sorry, saw that you had them replace the fuel filter. Did they do it? Is there a nice clean filter where the old dusty one was? It seems like a fuel filter, misfire at high fuel flow; sat for years; Ford;
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Wet air filter? Water ingestion is know issue. It can ruin the airmeter too. You can do a crude check by unplugging the airmeter. If it run ok, it's a airmeter issue.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like junk (rust) in the fuel tank to me. Time to drop the fuel tank and clean it out and have a lining sprayed into it.

You need to put a fuel gauge on the fuel rail and check the fuel pressure when it does it.
You can rent a fuel pressure gauge at most auto part stores and get your money back when you return it.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Others may be correct but I just have one question. You stated in your original post that they changed plugs, (OK) wires, (Not OK) The Triton V-10 does not haves park plug wires. It has the coil over plug or COP design so there are no wires.

Maybe they actually changed the coils instead of the wires??? That should be listed on the bill. What you seem to be experiencing is exactly the symptoms of defective coils would give you.

TeJay
Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #9

I meant coils. Sorry.
I just don't see why, they a brand new and don't have but about 10 miles. I understand that one might be bad but what is the likely hood of that? Is there something else causing it to go bad?? Mechanic mentioned that " I could" have low compression on a cylinder. Will that cause it to misfire and destroy a coil? They didn't do a compression check. After replacement he took it out, with me in it, and it ran just fine. Didn't seem to lose power at all. The motor only has 20,000 miles on it.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did your mechanic hook up a scanner on it to give a place to start troubleshooting?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #11

I would go with Subford on the fuel pressure check.

If it drops under load, check that they actually changed the filter.

If it's new, take it out and pour the gas out of it, and see if it's full of rusty looking derbis.

If it's full of junk, you may need to clean the tank. You could keep changing the filter and hope it clears up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #12

Just a shot in the dark, but that is a lot like a LD vehicle with a bad ignition control module. I have no idea if your motor uses a stand alone ICM but if it does, take it off and swing by Advance Auto / Carquest / O'reilly Auto and they can test it for free..
Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Just a shot in the dark, but that is a lot like a LD vehicle with a bad ignition control module. I have no idea if your motor uses a stand alone ICM but if it does, take it off and swing by Advance Auto / Carquest / O'reilly Auto and they can test it for free..
A 2001 F53 does not have an ICM.
It has coil on plugs (COP) that are grounded by the PCM.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #14

Thanks for all the info. I will check fuel filter hen I get home. I sure am hoping that is what it is.

Tags
fire, v10