Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Triton V10 started with key but won't turn off

2002 fleetwood bounder with triton v10 started it today and wouldn't shut off with key had to pull wires on altenator. Turn key off pull key out heater shut off but dash stayed on as did the engine
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If some things shut off and others don't I'd almost bet it's a relay.

When the vehicle is running relays are energized to keep things powered. When the key is turned off the power is removed and the relay opens. If the contacts get dirty they can weld together and stay closed after power is removed.

If you can get it to do it again try tapping relays under the hood inside the fuse box's. If tapping does not work just remove one at a time. Many of those relays are interchangeable. If they look the same and have the same number of pins then they are probably the same.

Another thing to look for are relays that are overly warm or hot. That just means that they are still allowing current to pass through.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

Thank you will check that out, I have hooked the battery back up but haven't hooked the alternator back up but I will to see what happens.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy way is to.pull relay for PCM or fuel pump either one will kill the engine
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #5

It may also be a faulty starter switch. If it's like the pickup trucks of that era the actual switch is on the steering column near the floor. It's actuated by a rod from the key cylinder.

I had the same thing happen in a mid 90's pickup. In this case some of the wires in the switch overheated and melted the plastic. Several of the wires fused together and the engine wouldn't shut off even though the key had been turned to the lock position and removed.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2.0 View Post
2002 fleetwood bounder with triton v10 started it today and wouldn't shut off with key had to pull wires on altenator. Turn key off pull key out heater shut off but dash stayed on as did the engine
Fusible link between alternator and distributer is toast.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #7

Rexhall Owners Group
I think what "Hikerdogs" called a starter switch, Ford calls an ignition switch. Mine malfunctioned twice on a trip last year. Only on mine everything just suddenly quit while driving at highway speed. Everything else checked out OK, and we replaced this "Ignition Switch" and symptoms have gone away. As Hiker said, it's on the steering Column just below the dash. Heat had loosened a supposedly captive nut, and it was a B@!*& to get apart. If you ever want to pucker up, be driving down the interstate, at 65mph, and have all systems stop.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm trying to look at this based on the fact that with the key off and removed the engine was still running.

We know he's getting current when he does not want to get it and with the switch off he's still getting it. It can't possible be a fuse of any sorts. WHY?? Blown fuses signal an over current situation then an open circuit with no current flowing.

We all know that the starter cranks when the starter solenoid is energized by turning the key (ignition switch) it to the CRANK position. It stops cranking when we release the key.

The starter is not still cranking. So no solenoid issues. The engine is still running even when the key is off therefore electricity is still getting to the ignition and fuel.

How can electricity still be flowing to the ignition and the fuel pump with no key??? With the key on current flows to either one or maybe two relays which will energize those systems. How likely is it that both relays are stuck on??? Not to likely IMHO. Anything is possible but how likely?

So what electrical connection can still be made to those two circuits?? Maybe one relay sends current to the fuel pump and the ignition system.

I don't know that answer because I don't have the schematic in front of me. I can tell you what might be happening on the older vehicles but these days it's not a guess but one has to search the schematics or just get lucky.

The electrical connection very well could be getting through to those systems by way of the keyed ignition switch. The keyed switch is where it begins so it may be defective allowing current to flow when it isn't supposed to be flowing.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
I think what "Hikerdogs" called a starter switch, Ford calls an ignition switch. Mine malfunctioned twice on a trip last year. Only on mine everything just suddenly quit while driving at highway speed. Everything else checked out OK, and we replaced this "Ignition Switch" and symptoms have gone away. As Hiker said, it's on the steering Column just below the dash. Heat had loosened a supposedly captive nut, and it was a B@!*& to get apart. If you ever want to pucker up, be driving down the interstate, at 65mph, and have all systems stop.
You are correct. The add I was looking at calls it:

Ignition Starter Switch MOTORCRAFT SW-6158

Here's a link to the add:
https://www.ebay.com/i/401376420677?chn=ps

I have no association with the seller I just did a Google search and this was the first to pop up.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My guess would be the switch circuit directly associated with the key. Everything starts and stops thru the action of the switch. Get it fixed as soon as possible. Today you can't shut the engine down, tomorrow you might not be able to start it.

Next time to shut the engine down just cover the air intake to the filter housing to suffocate the engine. Then use the chassis battery disconnect to kill power.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #11

Hope that dont happen ever So I will check that out supposed to be maybe 45 degrees tomorrow good day to check out
Old 01-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #12

thanks

Tags
v10