Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think the Torque App will run on a windows laptop. It should run on your droid tablet.. it should connect to the scanner I mentioned via bluetooth.

I believe P0300 is a general misfire, P0301 - P0310 is a cylinder specific misfire i.e. P0301 is cylinder 1, P0302 is #2, etc.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
In 40 years as a heavy duty mechanic, we always followed one rule. Verify the problem!
Did you ( the OP ) clear the code and try it again?
It could be an old code that was logged and not cleared.
Thinking that way, have a look at cleaning your MAF, as suggested.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #17

Without a scanner, I don't know if there is a code, so can't clear it. I am ordering the scanner today . Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
Old 07-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buy your self a ScanGauge2 Then you can read and reset codes and also monitor a lot of information while driving, read your trans temp etc. and get end of day travel information.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #19

I'm getting one of those Bluetooth OBD2 dongles today and paired with my Android tablet app, should give me most of what I want to know.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any CEL codes can be erased just by disconnecting the engine battery ground wire. Or if you can find the ECM 10 amp fuse and pull it out that will erase any stored codes.

Remember (generally speaking) no code will tell you exactly which part to replace if in fact a part has failed. The codes were never specifically meant to do that. They mostly are just symptoms of a problem much like your blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen saturation level and body temperature.

Yes I realize the codes can point to a specific cylinder that has misfired. It still may not tell you if it's the COP, spark plug, a failing fuel injector or the device controlling the injector firing. Usually following the codes, symptoms and further testing will point in the proper direction to solve the problem.

I also recognize I have been away from this for several years so things may be getting better as far as diagnostic codes. IMHO symptomatic analysis is still the best diagnostic approach.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #21

OMG! I want to thank Ford for putting the OBD2 port in a place that requires an hour to get to it......Good job engineers! To get to it, had to remove the bottom cover on the steering column. Three plastic push on clips and 2 screws nicely hidden that required you to remove them by feel.

After I finally got to 'see' the OBD2 port, Gulf Stream thoughtfully had placed a dash support bracket in front of it, that made the port impossible to plug anything into it. I then removed the port, mostly by feel, and finally got to plug in my new OBD2 scanner. I will find a new place to mount the port.

It connected easily to my phone via Bluetooth and in a minute or so started getting data. I checked the existing fault codes and it showed 4 different cylinders had misfired at some point in time. Those were the only fault codes. I reset them, fired up the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes. No new codes appeared, plus the engine seemed to be running smoothly.

BTW, I did get the BADX scanner recommended by Waiter21 and used the free version of Torque. Will be getting the Pro version shortly.

@ TeJay.... There is a way to check the COP to see if it is defective. If not, then it is the plug.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out so far. I will continue to investigate further.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:05 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagrv View Post
OMG! I want to thank Ford for putting the OBD2 port in a place that requires an hour to get to it......Good job engineers! To get to it, had to remove the bottom cover on the steering column. Three plastic push on clips and 2 screws nicely hidden that required you to remove them by feel.

After I finally got to 'see' the OBD2 port, Gulf Stream thoughtfully had placed a dash support bracket in front of it, that made the port impossible to plug anything into it. I then removed the port, mostly by feel, and finally got to plug in my new OBD2 scanner. I will find a new place to mount the port.
Don't blame Ford for this. Ford provides a 2 ft lead on the port so the body manufacturers can move it to clear the dash. It is attached to the steering post by Ford and is meant to be moved to a clear position by the motorhome manufacturer. Some manufacturers do a good job and some just do nothing. They just leave it where Ford put it. Fleetwood did a fair job on my Pace Arrow, but I moved it to a more accessable position. I can plug in within 20 seconds.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #23

My apologies to Ford.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #24

Update: First, I moved the OBD2 port to a new and easily accessible location. Second, I have run the engine for short periods of time (15 to 20 minutes) over the last few days and have not logged any fault codes. Third, I do have an exhaust leak which I suspect is coming from the exhaust manifold. However, the noise/leak stops after a few minutes as the engine warms up.

A bit of a disappointment with the OBD2 port. The port has 16 pins, but Ford uses only 7 pins. So can't get all the info I would like, like trans temp, for example.

It has been too dang hot in this part of the country for an old man like me to crawl around under the motorhome checking for a possibly bad U-joint or center carrier to try to find the vibration problem. As soon as it cools down a bit, I will do just that.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #25

Its not the pin count that sends transmission temp data, you need to assign codes into the ScanGuage that represent your engine.

Read the book that came with it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
like trans temp, for example.
You should be able to read trans temperature with the Torque app..

On my android running th Torque App.. Select SETTINGS > Manage extra PIDs/Sensor > PID 2211bd

This is Method three of transmission temperature. Assign it to a gage or dial and your reading transmission temperature.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:15 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get an OBD-II code reader from $20-$60 on Amazon, some work bluetooth w/ Apple, some w/ Android phone, some with wired screen.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
You can get an OBD-II code reader from $20-$60 on Amazon, some work bluetooth w/ Apple, some w/ Android phone, some with wired screen.
Already got one.....see earlier post.