Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Undercarriage nuts & bolts...

got sage advice on updating our '97 Rexhall to CHS as well as 6 new shocks before any other fixes in need of done.

So when I was surveying under our beastie I saw clearly I have to replace all the original bushings...the old rubber ones are beyond rotted or as good as not even there anymore. Our inspection tech never mentioned it and to be honest I overlooked it for a couple years now.

Thanks to a post somewhere in this chassis forum I found a complete set of new urethane bushings...ordered and will. be here over the weekend...storm due in of course... Murphy is a putz!

Anyway I also used the shocks as my justifying buying a dandy new Ingersoll-Rand 231C air wrench. Since the bushings need done even better excuse. Already have 10gal air tank and a compressor to keep up.

sigh, to my purpose...what am I going to find underneath Metric or SAE nuts & bolts? I just don't wanna buy both sets of 1/2" sockets if I'm never going need one of them. I've long ago nabbed one of their basement compartments as my tool crib but want to try and add only what I'm actually going to use. Or will I encounter a mixed bag and may just as well grab a complete set of the deep well sockets now?

Oh, I've been soaking all of the bolts I can find on I know I'll have to remove with PB Blaster in anticipation of the big day when she gets her new shocks and bushings installed.
Brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Metric..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is a company called Metwrinch. They make wrenches and sockets that work on metric or SAE and even work on rounded bolts. Their tools apply pressure to the flats of the head, not the points. I have a set for the smaller stuff, 1/4 to 7/8 and their metric equivalents, but I bet they make larger sockets and wrenches as well. They're not cheap, but well-made and one set does both metric and SAE.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
There is a company called Metwrinch. They make wrenches and sockets that work on metric or SAE and even work on rounded bolts. Their tools apply pressure to the flats of the head, not the points. I have a set for the smaller stuff, 1/4 to 7/8 and their metric equivalents, but I bet they make larger sockets and wrenches as well. They're not cheap, but well-made and one set does both metric and SAE.
Have those. Work great. Never had a rounded nut[emoji177]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #5

for big bolts, just get two cheap sets from Harbor Freight. Big bolts you don't need the high precision because as a percentage, the tolerance is minor. And they are so strong, it will be hard to break them.
For small bolts (under 1"), get a better set minimum Craftsman.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Metric..
Hey Waiter,

thanks a bunch. get to hit my two fave toy stores tomorrow,... Harbor Freight and Home Depot..
Old 01-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Reallly? That I'll have to look into. Great as a bit of a weight savings but more so extra room.

Thanks so much
Old 01-08-2019, 01:46 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
for big bolts, just get two cheap sets from Harbor Freight. Big bolts you don't need the high precision because as a percentage, the tolerance is minor. And they are so strong, it will be hard to break them.
For small bolts (under 1"), get a better set minimum Craftsman.
I like HF's hand and small tools. Not a mechanic and won't use the sockets all the much. Other than a socket shattering or somehow breaking on a stubborn nut they should last me until I croak.

My spiffy Ingersoll Rand 231c is due in tomorrow... I wanna hear 'that sound' hahaha
Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Harbor Freight and Home Depot..
Heres what I have, metric stuff:

1/2 drive impact driver socket set
1/2 torque wrench
1/2 breaker bar
3/8 drive socket set (the color coded ones, surprisingly has held up for several years}
1/4 inch torque wrench (use for spark plugs and other small torque requirements)
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Heres what I have, metric stuff:

1/2 drive impact driver socket set
1/2 torque wrench
1/2 breaker bar
3/8 drive socket set (the color coded ones, surprisingly has held up for several years}
1/4 inch torque wrench (use for spark plugs and other small torque requirements)
nice assortment...i might act like I have yo hide my "toys" from the wife but she loves seeing me have fun with them and saving us as much as possible doing what I can without taking rig to the shop.

I was thinking I should add a breaker bar, decent torque wrench but never dawned on me that a smaller 1/4" should be part of it so I'll definitely add one given the problems if they aren't quite right in the 460v8. to be honest I just haven't had the motivation to replace them yet. betting they are the original plugs.

I have a great set of Craftsman sockets I've have been building since I was about 14...plus my grandma bought my first set if tools and I've used them the entire time.

Otherwise got my sets of 1/2" today at Harbor Freight this AM. I still and going to hunt down one of those metric/SAE combo sockets.

I also added a set of ratcheting combo wrenches in a larger size series today as well. I've used the heck out of my smaller set.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I did find a cool set of dual size sockets that had two sizes and you flip the socket around to use the next size option. That was interesting. I am picking up a set of metrics at Harbor Freight this weekend. I still might grab that other set at HOME Depot but thought the $70 price was a bit high, can't help being stupidly frugal over like $10-$15.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #12

The problem with the "flip around for the next size" is that they are physically larger than what is needed for a given bolt, which means the socket itself gets in the way of the job. And, if you need both sizes (one for each end of the bolt / nut), then you need two sets.
At the end of the day, if you do DIY, you will pay for BOTH sets of metric / SAE in your first DIY job. Tools make the job easier and safer. You just IMHO don't need to overspend by going to "boutique" tools like SnapOn and MAC pricing. Ok, for the most common 3/8 set, maybe. But definitely not for the large 1/2" and 3/4" drive tools. I think at some point it's more about pride of the toolbox, and not what they fixed.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
DavL,

That makes big sense. I never even noticed they are physically larger. As you point out they have to eventually make some job harder. THE dedicated SAE & Metric sets together are not much more.

Weather here has been in 70s the past three days so I am honing to use that as a excuse to buy a few toys. Since my nifty Ingersoll-Rand 231c hot here, I grabbed a bigger compressor, gas this time, all I need are the sockets to start replacing the suspension bushings. The 22yr old rubber has just fallen apart.

First I'm going to try another whack at the rear lights thanks to Subford's help with tracing the correct wiring and the pinouts on the connector plugs.

Had to put off a lot of maintenance past year getting thanks to hip replacement. Bonus is no more MRI's and I can have fun at airports.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #14

Try to get 6 point sockets....they don't round off nuts or bolts, especially when using an impact gun....and a 3/8' hose will deliver a lot more power than a 1/4" coiled plastic hose....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote