RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Unhappy with Ford

We just lost our top gears for the 3rd time in about 4 years. This was in Sept and our warranty ran out in Aug. Even though this is the same problem repaired by Ford dealers 2 other times. Ford says it is not there problem. The MH has 60,000 miles on it. So about every 20,000 tranny top gears go. Would think they would be standing behind there product better than that.

goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #2

My 2008 Monaco's trans went out at 22000 miles. Ford builds the cheapest chassis possible because that's what the motor home manufacturers want. I added about $2500 in suspension parts just to get it safely down the road. Never will i buy a Ford again.

Dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #3

IMHO ! if I had lost that many transmissions not matter who made them
I would try and ask myself is it something I am doing to cause this to happen .I have a 2005 with 140,000 miles, Ford 4speed just pulled a jeep 4000 miles through the north west, with some very hard climbs down to 20mph on some , never had any trouble.I have only changed the fluid 1 time in those miles ,just my experience .
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
We just lost our top gears for the 3rd time in about 4 years. This was in Sept and our warranty ran out in Aug. Even though this is the same problem repaired by Ford dealers 2 other times. Ford says it is not there problem. The MH has 60,000 miles on it. So about every 20,000 tranny top gears go. Would think they would be standing behind there product better than that.
What year and what trans?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If last repair was 12 months ago its suppose to be covered for the same issue. You could have a internal leak in the case. I would installed ford reman, has a good warranty a complete reman some times is cheaper than a rebuild
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:59 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 99 has over 70,000 on Trans never a problem.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Obviously the core problem has not been corrected. Escalate to Ford corporate. Good luck.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:15 AM   #8

It depends, if he is one of those folks who works at keeping then engine RPM's low he may be cooking the transmission. The setup reportedly needs the engine speed kept up under heavy load to keep the cooling system happy. That would stress the higher gears.

I'm not saying he may not have another problem but that that issue needs to be understood. Given that we don't hear a lot about transmission problems in that drive train then a Ford reman transmission sounds like a good way to get rid of whatever else is going on. If it was an obvious problem the rebuilder should have found it.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:17 AM   #9

Have you weighed your coach and toad? I looked up some info on the 2012 Itasca Sunova and Cadillac SRX. Have weighed my coach and post that for reference if you do not have actual weights on yours.

Assuming the info I found on line is correct, you may be overloaded.

My 30' F53 coach when loaded ready for travel weighs about 17K or 567lbs per foot. At 34.5 feet yours might be in the 19.5K range. Add 5K for the SRX with tow bar and base plate for a total of 24.5K. Specs I found show the GCWR for your coach at 22K.

Some current Winnys 35.5 length are on 26K chassis.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It depends, if he is one of those folks who works at keeping then engine RPM's low he may be cooking the transmission. The setup reportedly needs the engine speed kept up under heavy load to keep the cooling system happy. That would stress the higher gears.
nothermark - Could you elaborate / clarify exactly what you mean here please?

Because...
When were running down the highway usually at around 63mph, towing our toad, we're in tow haul mode and are always purring along at around 2,100rpms. Now to me, that's running at low rpm's and my scan gauge usually reports I'm in the 175 - 185 degree range. So how could that possibly hurt the high end gears? And a better question would be, I'm in tow haul mode so what could be done about it anyways?

My thoughts on OP's problem...
60K miles in 6 years. That comes out to about 10K/year and in RV terms, that's putting on some miles. OP is traveling quite a bit. Traveling that much makes me think he's probably carrying quite a bit of gear too. And he's towing a heavy Cadillac.

I think it's very probable that he's over loaded and the tranny can only make it for about 20K miles or so and then gives up the ghost. His coach is rated to tow 5K—IF—his GVWR is <21K. I looked it up...his toad weighs 4,500 and that's empty with nothing in it. No camping gear, no nothing. I wonder if the OP has ever done an accurate 4 corner weigh without the toad to see what his actual GVWR is?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Obviously the core problem has not been corrected. Escalate to Ford corporate. Good luck.
I would have to agree. We put on over 100,000 miles on our 2001 motorhome. There was never a problem with overheating the transmission and we generally kept the engine in the 3,000 rpm range when climbing the steepest grades. I'm surprised the repair shop rebuilt the transmission a second time when it incurred the same type of damage as the first.

This reminds me of a problem my father in law had with a 1980 Oldsmobile. With 3,000 miles on the odometer the transmission failed. It was determined that the vanes in the torque converter had broken and spread shrapnel throughout the transmission.

A local dealership rebuilt the transmission and sent him on his way. About 5,000 miles later the same thing happened. Once again the transmission was rebuilt.

At about the 15,000 mile mark it happened for a 3rd time. This time the dealership refused to rebuild it and sent him to an independent shop. Knowing this was the 3rd failure in 15,000 miles the shop did a more extensive diagnosis.

What they found was incredible. Apparently the wrong crankshaft thrust bearing had been installed in the engine when it was built. The improper bearing allowed the crankshaft to move forward and backward slightly. On the rare occasion all the parameters fell into line the crankshaft would move to the rear causing the transmission input shaft to bind against the torque converter impeller and break the vanes.

The engine crankshaft thrust bearing was replaced, the transmission was rebuilt one more time, and it never suffered another problem as long as they owned it. My FIL asked GM for reimbursement and was successful. Fortunately the shop saved all the parts that had been replaced. The factory rep inspected them and agreed with the diagnosis and repairs.

Moral of the story is that being persistent can pay off. Just because the first shop didn't find the root cause of your problem doesn't mean it can't be found given sufficient time and expertise.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #12

Root cause has not been identified in the prior rebuilds IMHO.
It's not how you are driving it based on your description.
Rebuild every 20K is ridiculous.
Did they flush the cooler each time? Replace the torque converter?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #13

Per the Winnebago brochure archive, the Sunova 33C has a GVWR of 22,000 and a GCWR of 26,000. Towing the 4,500 Caddy would reduce the allowed max weight of the coach to 21,500.

I'd get the coach and Caddy weighed, fully loaded, to be sure. Only takes a few minutes and it's inexpensive. Two tranny failures is rare.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
There should be a warranty on the rebuild. If you are still with in the rebuild warranty period then it is Fords problem not yours.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford