Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

I have a 1999 34' Dutch Star motorhome that I have performed many upgrades

I own a large auto repair bussiness and due to my cost of upgrades I may have gone a little overboard

Not an upgrade but replaced fuel filter and all 6 tires, Goodyear g670rv , Serpentine belt , replaced all hose clamps, power flushed and used Ford new premium long life coolant, replaced parking brake fluid, repacked front wheel bearings with redline synthetic grease and lubed sliders, power flushed brake fluid with Purple ATE dot 4 brake fluid, changed oil and lubed all 9 zerk fittings before any upgrades

The first upgrade after research was from Brazels an Aero trubine 3" muffler
and after driving made a nice increase in power and noise was only a little louder on hard acceleration nice and quiet at speed

The second upgrade was a Banks Trans Command to firm up the shifts again firmer shifting helped acceleration, this upgrade does not effect actual hill power

Third upgrade I added a Banks air box and plumbing I purchased seperately from Brazels
test drive only a slight increase in noise and felt a little more powerful
Brazels is almost ready with there own air intake kit

Fourth upgrade was an ecm specific Custom Motorhome Diablo chip from Brazels, this chip has remapped several items proven with dyno runs
test driving the motorhome compared to stock has power to spare (I tow a Saturn)

(note) on hill climbing the v-10 pulls the hardest at around 3,500-4,500 rpm
this chip for my application as I ordered for max power had a pinging concern requiring premium fuel, Brazels current chip I believe is a 2 program with a toggle switch to allow regular fuel

Fifth upgrade was a custom Mass Air Flow Sensor from JR

Sixth upgrade was 10 Granatelli Performance coils with special boots

Seventh upgrade was 10 Denso Iridium plugs IT16

Eight upgrade was installing Gibson headers

Ninth upgrade was a trans temperature guage and deep trans pan with cooler tubes

Tenth upgrade , actually 4th was a ScanGuage II , really trick shows numerous functions including estimated fuel mileage

Eleventh upgrade was a MagHytec deep rear end cover with synthetic fluid My chassis has a Dana 80

The next upgrades for handling were performed earlier
1) came with Billstein shocks and a front trac bar
2) installed a rear track bar (cured tail wagging the dog)
3) rear air bags, still a little low
4) added a special leaf spring
5) added front and rear Hellwig Hellwig sway bar kits

Upgrades to interior

1) 20" sharp lcd
2) passenger side view colored camera
3) Alpine 6.5 flip out head unit
4) Bose AM5 Home speakers
5) Garmin g52 navigation (new "black box" ) ties into existing monitor's
6) In dash digital compass / temp guage
7) Wi-fy antennae/card mounted on t/v antennae
8) Hot - rod for water heater
9) Insulation kit for dog house
10) replaced rear tv 14"

(note) alpine head unit tied into Ipod, XM, Side camera , Garmin navigation

Navigation also tied into viewing on 20"lcd and alpine screen at same time, lcd for tv or dvd viewing is also tied into alpine/bose surround

Navigation voice tied into radio mute to override sound , (seperate speakers hooked up to black box
cartex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #2

I have a 1999 34' Dutch Star motorhome that I have performed many upgrades

I own a large auto repair bussiness and due to my cost of upgrades I may have gone a little overboard

Not an upgrade but replaced fuel filter and all 6 tires, Goodyear g670rv , Serpentine belt , replaced all hose clamps, power flushed and used Ford new premium long life coolant, replaced parking brake fluid, repacked front wheel bearings with redline synthetic grease and lubed sliders, power flushed brake fluid with Purple ATE dot 4 brake fluid, changed oil and lubed all 9 zerk fittings before any upgrades

The first upgrade after research was from Brazels an Aero trubine 3" muffler
and after driving made a nice increase in power and noise was only a little louder on hard acceleration nice and quiet at speed

The second upgrade was a Banks Trans Command to firm up the shifts again firmer shifting helped acceleration, this upgrade does not effect actual hill power

Third upgrade I added a Banks air box and plumbing I purchased seperately from Brazels
test drive only a slight increase in noise and felt a little more powerful
Brazels is almost ready with there own air intake kit

Fourth upgrade was an ecm specific Custom Motorhome Diablo chip from Brazels, this chip has remapped several items proven with dyno runs
test driving the motorhome compared to stock has power to spare (I tow a Saturn)

(note) on hill climbing the v-10 pulls the hardest at around 3,500-4,500 rpm
this chip for my application as I ordered for max power had a pinging concern requiring premium fuel, Brazels current chip I believe is a 2 program with a toggle switch to allow regular fuel

Fifth upgrade was a custom Mass Air Flow Sensor from JR

Sixth upgrade was 10 Granatelli Performance coils with special boots

Seventh upgrade was 10 Denso Iridium plugs IT16

Eight upgrade was installing Gibson headers

Ninth upgrade was a trans temperature guage and deep trans pan with cooler tubes

Tenth upgrade , actually 4th was a ScanGuage II , really trick shows numerous functions including estimated fuel mileage

Eleventh upgrade was a MagHytec deep rear end cover with synthetic fluid My chassis has a Dana 80

The next upgrades for handling were performed earlier
1) came with Billstein shocks and a front trac bar
2) installed a rear track bar (cured tail wagging the dog)
3) rear air bags, still a little low
4) added a special leaf spring
5) added front and rear Hellwig Hellwig sway bar kits

Upgrades to interior

1) 20" sharp lcd
2) passenger side view colored camera
3) Alpine 6.5 flip out head unit
4) Bose AM5 Home speakers
5) Garmin g52 navigation (new "black box" ) ties into existing monitor's
6) In dash digital compass / temp guage
7) Wi-fy antennae/card mounted on t/v antennae
8) Hot - rod for water heater
9) Insulation kit for dog house
10) replaced rear tv 14"

(note) alpine head unit tied into Ipod, XM, Side camera , Garmin navigation

Navigation also tied into viewing on 20"lcd and alpine screen at same time, lcd for tv or dvd viewing is also tied into alpine/bose surround

Navigation voice tied into radio mute to override sound , (seperate speakers hooked up to black box
Old 01-15-2007, 05:41 AM   #3

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
How much was the Banks air box setup for v-10 ?And are you using K & N air filter with it?
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #4

cartex

Noticed you said you put a wi-fi-antenna on your tv antenna.Can you tell me which one you used and how you mounted it and how it hooks to computer.

Thanks
2001 Dutch Star
2001 Gas Dutch Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #5

Wow, great upgrade job.

Us...

(4) 130 watt solar panels
19" LCD in the bedroom
EVDO Wireless setup with booster and antenna
Goodyear G670 Tires
SmarTire monitoring system
Lots of maintenance items - trans service etc.

Sure would like to have the Banks System and some handling upgrades.

Devin
driley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
driley welcome to irv2 and the Ford forum.
Does your 99 coach have new shocks you may fine the OEM's pretty well short.
That was one of the first items I changed on my Fords.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job cartex1 you must really have that 99 Ford Huummmming.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #8

In response to 2001 Dutch Star's question
The antenna I used is a Radio Labs that has the card built into antenna housing. I mounted it on my t/v antenna. check out there sight to get a visual
www.radiolabs.com It uses a usb cable to the computer I ran the cable through refrigerator vent and was able to drill a hole and route through a cabinet that drops to to the kitchen table, I used 2 usb cables and sealed connection at antennae and splice with heat shrink and silicone

In response to George Henrys question I think the Banks air box was around $300 and I am using the K&N filter, the Brazels air box kit should be ready I do not know the cost
they should be able to sell you either one
Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! That's alot of upgrades. Must be really nice.
Since I have a Workhorse now and am very scared of WH's electronic parking brake, 'the autopark' which I will never buy again, could you elaborate on the " replaced parking brake fluid" statement? I thought Ford had a manual cable parking brake and also a park pawl in the transmission.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #10

Max, we are holding a space over here for you.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Since I have a Workhorse now and am very scared of WH's electronic parking brake, 'the autopark' which I will never buy again, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, No need to worry, by the time you are ready to buy the J72 system (electric over hydraulic) will be discontinued on over 24K GVW chassis and a new Arvin Meritor WABCO hydraulic over hydraulic HPB auto apply brake will be in use.

One other modification that I am told will also be in the mix rather quickly is that that "all" Allison automatic transmissions that Workhorse uses except the 3000MH will now feature a parking pawl. So equipped the parking brake would then be the mechanical foot operated drum brake unit like the one I have.

If you're looking at getting into a 16K or 18K GVW W-Series chassis with the GM transmission these units may still be using a J72. GM hasn't said that they will install a parking pawl in their transmissions at this time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
Max, we are holding a space over here for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have another Ford question but I'll start a new thread.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Cartex1,

We installed our first V10 cold air intake at Quartzsite,looked great!We are waiting for more customer feedback,his first impression was good. He siad the power(chip,CAI & muffler) was phenominal,so I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #14

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Cartex1,

We installed our first V10 cold air intake at Quartzsite,looked great!We are waiting for more customer feedback,his first impression was good. He siad the power(chip,CAI & muffler) was phenominal,so I'll keep you posted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike , I am very interested in your Air box. Got the 06 Ford V-10 362 hp 5 speed in a Thor Hurricane. Does it come with the K&N air filter? How do I order this kit?
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote