Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Also helps keep the road noise down.
Ever notice that factory and well built aftermarket suspension parts have bushings on the ends of the components and DIY components do not. Why would the OEMs spend the $$ if the bushings were not necessary? Those that advocate DIY non-bushing track bars are uninformed.

Richard

No...Tell us how you really feel.

I have put 100,000 + miles on New and Used MH.
Road Noise is part is part of the package.
I am too busy having fun on vacation listing to the family having a great time, We love RVing too much to let road noise keep us from enjoying our time together.

When I am driving a Caddy that is a different story.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
Also helps keep the road noise down.
Ever notice that factory and well built aftermarket suspension parts have bushings on the ends of the components and DIY components do not. Why would the OEMs spend the $$ if the bushings were not necessary? Those that advocate DIY non-bushing track bars are uninformed.

Richard
OEMs have to satisfy all picky types, we as DIY ers know what we will put up with. Not that we are uninformed, but willing to sacrifice a little to achieve a given goal to save some money.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
cwit,

It matters not what some folks report regarding success we have had with some MODS. Back in 2010 when John posted about the CHF there were many naysayers. Today they are either just silent regarding the speculation on the impending disasters or have joined others with the CHF and are not telling us.

I don't believe those of us who have used a tractor top link for our DIY TB without bushings on the ends are uninformed or scary either. We just tried something slightly different and guess what it worked.

It is possible that we will have issues?? Well we'll see down the road. Would the TB be slightly better or more safe with bushings?? Maybe!! How much? Who knows.
So you feel you are as informed as all the engineers and designers of proper suspension components? Again, why do OE manufactures use bushings on the ends of all their suspension components?

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Answer...........Cheaper than bearings!!!

Mike
Old 03-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #19

They use nylon or rubber bushings to absorb the impact of movement.
Just like any part that connects the sprung weight to the unsprung weight. Look at the sway bars.

The tractor links are surviving because something else is absorbing the impact.
Either the chassis bracket or the differential bracket is flexing. Over time something is going to fail.

Imagine one wheel hitting a pothole. The wheel, first goes down, compressing or tensioning the track bar. In the instant it comes up, that force is reversed.
Something has to absorb that impact.

Remember the track bar is mounted above the rotational center of the rear axle, unlike the front track bar that is level with the axle, so its also working like a sway bar.

The OE manufactures don't want to have their bars fall apart, down the road.

To prove the sway bar effect, of the high mounted track bar, unhook one end and watch it, as someone pushs high on the side of the MH, to make it sway, side to side.

You'll see the movement, because it is triangulating the diferential mounting points.

Enjoy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard,

First, you must not have read what was written. If you did it was not reflected by your recent comments.

"It is possible that we will have issues?? Well we'll see down the road. Would the TB be slightly better or more safe with bushings?? Maybe!! How much? Who knows."

Secondly you have posted on these forums over 300 times and should have read some of my other posts. Of course I don't pretend that I know more than the engineers who design suspension upgrades and NEVER stated that fact. I am always open to what others know and willing to learn from those with more experience and knowledge.

I am investigating the cost of and sources for links with bushings. Anytime I can improve a design I'm open and interested. As already stated in post # 18 the top link was used because it's cheaper.