RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
It gets a little annoying in areas with rolling hills (small hills), though. I want to slow a little getting up the hill and let is gain a little speed going down. In the tow/haul mode it changes to a lower gear too soon, and then wants to use the engine brake on the down side of the hill. For me, the drive is a little more enjoyable when I turn it off in those conditions, especially on the down side of the hill.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012
Get the 5 star tune, you'll love it.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
IMO, the only thing that solves the shifting issues is the 5 Star tune.
There is no issue with the transmission shifting. It is doing exactly as it is programmed to do. The transmission just follows the directions the PCM is telling it to do. The Ford engineers decided to write the shift calibration that way so the PCM will perform that way.

Quote:
You don't need to use the Tow mode for the cruise control to keep a steady speed going downhill. The only time you need the Tow mode is when you have an extra 5k lbs back there.
An F53 chassis is already heavy. Adding 5K to back pretty much makes no difference. My coach performs the same towing or not.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #17

Here is the description and operation of Tow/Haul in the Workshop manual.

Tow/Haul Switch
The tow/haul switch is located on the end of the selector lever and is a momentary contact switch. The tow/haul switch provides a signal to the PCM when pressed by the driver, resulting in a change in shift scheduling and TCC operation. When the tow/haul switch has been pressed, the indicator light that is located in the Instrument Cluster (IC) will illuminate "Tow/Haul - ON". When the switch is pressed again, tow/haul will be deactivated and the Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) will turn OFF.
When tow/haul mode is activated, the following occurs:
  • All forward gears are available.
  • Shifts occur at higher vehicle speeds to improve vehicle acceleration, reduce shift frequency and increase coast braking capability.
  • TCC operation occurs at lower vehicle speeds to improve transmission cooling and efficiency.
  • Upshifts are temporarily delayed during hill cresting to reduce transmission ratio hunting and to prepare for possible downshifts while descending a grade.
  • Engine braking is provided in all forward gear positions, D, 3, 2 and 1.
  • A PCM strategy, know as grade braking downshift automatically provides increased coast braking to assist the driver in maintaining a desired vehicle speed while descending a grade.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #18

Also do a search on this forum for a post that 5 star posted. I found it rather amusing because they showed an uphill test towing a 5th wheel using cruise control. The comparison was a factory calibration and their tune. Their tune did not downshift and it slowed down more than the factory tune. The time back up to speed was faster on the factory tune than theirs. But as they advertise it doesn't downshift as much.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
There is no issue with the transmission shifting. It is doing exactly as it is programmed to do. The transmission just follows the directions the PCM is telling it to do. The Ford engineers decided to write the shift calibration that way so the PCM will perform that way.
Well duh! Problem is that me and thousands of others think that the Ford engineers didn't program it properly. For some reason, they forgot to include 4th gear while downshifting. Have you driven one with the tune? If you were to drive my coach with the original tune and then drive it with the 5 star, on the same road, you will be Wowed.

IMO, The 5 Star tune, CHF, and Koni shocks are a must have for the F53 20.5k chassis.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Well duh! Problem is that me and thousands of others think that the Ford engineers didn't program it properly. For some reason, they forgot to include 4th gear while downshifting. Have you driven one with the tune? If you were to drive my coach with the original tune and then drive it with the 5 star, on the same road, you will be Wowed.

IMO, The 5 Star tune, CHF, and Koni shocks are a must have for the F53 20.5k chassis.
It hilarious that you put "well duh" when you are the one that said it is a shifting issue when it is not, it is doing as it is commanded. Exactly. So you just basically "well duh" yourself with that comment. Holy epic fail on your side.

They didn't program 4th (for the most part) because the ratio of 5th gear is so close. However during some forced downshifts the transmission will be commanded from 6th to 4th but it is not very common. Usually you have the 6-5 or 6-3 forced downshift. And yes, I have driving many torqshift equipped F53's. From the 18K chassis up to the 26K chassis. Personally it really didn't bother me. It did everything I needed it to do. If the engineers didn't perform the transmission calibration the way it did you would get more complaints about it not downshifting to maintain speed (like the 5 star video). So instead of programming it to have a large speed variation they opted to have the drivetrain perform the way it does to maintain set speed.

Now im sure the torqshift 6 will be used in the F53 in the next few years and they will change everything. They have the select shift feature so you can manually keep the transmission in 6th gear. It would be nice to have that feature in the torqshift5 but unfortunately Ford did not utilize that programming in the calibration.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #21

My Motorhome has the upgraded 26k Chassi. I use the Tow/Haul mostly on the major downhills where my speed exceeds what i am comfortable with. That is usually a 6% downhill grade. I touch the brakes lightly to bring down the rpms every so often depending on the distance of the downhill. As soon as it levels to a comfortable degree I push the Tow/Haul off and continue on. The only time I use the cruise control is when we are on a relatively flat road and the transmission is not shifting to maintain the speed. I have found that I get better gas mileage controlling the speed myself.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #22

Quote:
It hilarious that you put "well duh" when you are the one that said it is a shifting issue when it is not, it is doing as it is commanded. Exactly. So you just basically "well duh" yourself with that comment. Holy epic fail on your side.
You are obviously well rounded with this programming tuning issue. I must be dumber than I know because I'm still looking at it as a shifting issue. It shifted like crap with the factory program, and with the 5 star, it now shifts perfectly.

I stated "well duh", because you were stating the obvious.

Holy epic fail....nice!
Old 06-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #23

Quote:
I must be dumber than I know!
At least we agree on one thing.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #24

Quote:
At least we agree on one thing.
Wow, you are something else. Hope to meet you one day.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using tow/haul mode ?

Let's knock off the personal comments. It's not allowed here . Get back on topic or find another thread to post on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I posted before in another thread but will repeat here. After CHF and Koni Shocks on the front and 5 Star Tuning it has become the best driving coach I have owned over 35 years. My son who has also driven many of my motorhomes Ditto's the same. I wish that I knew about 5 Star Tuning and CHF at least three V10's back.
Now of course Many of our cars , trucks etc. drive and handle better today than they did 35 years ago.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #27

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have driven the mountian passes and the extra revs keep the tranny a lot cooler.

narampa is offline   Reply With Quote