Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Using tow/haul mode ?

I know this has been discussed on various RV foums. The mosre I drive my coach the more I think about the Tow/Haul mode. I understand what it does and the purpose of using it. When ascending a grade sometimes it seems to keep the transmission in a lower gear longer than necessary. Then descending a grade (mountain driving) and when the tow/haul mode is engaged and the brake is applied it seems to downshift too much causing the engine to rev quite high, higher than I like so I'll turn it off then turn it on again if needed in the descent.

I'd like hearing other opinions about the tow/haul mode. By the way, I am not towing a vehicle. I've had four corner weighing done, it's well balanced and well within limits.

Thanks for any and all thoughts and advice.

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

IMO, the only thing that solves the shifting issues is the 5 Star tune.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Sounds to me like your tow haul mode is doing exactly what you need it to do. Keeping the engine in it's power band when power is needed and using the engine to help control speed so you don't overheat your brakes when descending.
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #4

You don't need to use the Tow mode for the cruise control to keep a steady speed going downhill. The only time you need the Tow mode is when you have an extra 5k lbs back there.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tow haul is good in City Traffic and up and down steep grades. It cost you 1-1 1/2 miles per gallon when used.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #6

Yes I know it's probably best not to use tow/haul mode while using cruise control, and I don't. Mostly I'm wondering if it's really necessary when not towing or hauling and unusually heavy load. It seems that especially when ascending a hill it's simple enough to give it enough throttle to control what gear you're in and for how long. With tow/haul "on" I reach the top of the hill and am on flat ground but the tranny is still in a lower gear with the engine revving more than it needs too.

Makes sense that gas mileage would suffer a bit.

Interesting discussion we're having ... keep the thought and comments coming. I'm sure others who haven't chimed in may find it informative.

Ken
Old 06-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Assuming you know more about the road than your transmission you can use the button to stay in lower gear when cresting a hill or to turn it off if leveling out. It is often handy downshift before the engine gets to lugging or jumping up and down in gear on the uphills or using engine braking on the downhills. All there with smart button pushes.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tow a horse trailer and live in western Nevada. We are up and down the Sierras all the time. Tow/Haul works very well for me. Not much of a noticeable difference up hill, but down hill, it's a brake saver.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

I haven't used the tow/haul mode uphill, just downhill. As I am about to crest the hill, I let off the gas and push the tow/haul button. If its a long downhill, I'm set if the engine doesn't hold the speed down. The important thing I've learned so far is to lightly touch the brake pedal initially. If more down shift is needed, apply the pedal with more pressure. Remember, the harder you apply the brakes in the tow/haul mode, the more it downshifts.

From previous posts on the tow/haul mode, I was told the V-10 will not over rev.

I don't worry about the traffic behind me, I want to make a safe descent.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
I haven't used the tow/haul mode uphill, just downhill. As I am about to crest the hill, I let off the gas and push the tow/haul button. If its a long downhill, I'm set if the engine doesn't hold the speed down. The important thing I've learned so far is to lightly touch the brake pedal initially. If more down shift is needed, apply the pedal with more pressure. Remember, the harder you apply the brakes in the tow/haul mode, the more it downshifts.

From previous posts on the tow/haul mode, I was told the V-10 will not over rev.

I don't worry about the traffic behind me, I want to make a safe descent.
What year is your F53? On ours, if you set the cruise control at a certain speed, it maintains that speed no matter what. It's like it activates engine braking. I was really surprised at how good it works...never have to touch the Tow mode.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #11

al2ride,

Our Vista is a 2013. I've never used cruise control, probably due to all those years of flying old helicopters which didn't have auto pilot. The engine braking also works without cruise control, possibly not quite as well as cruise control from your comment. Maybe this old dog (I think I would prefer old pilot) needs to learn a new trick.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Tow/Haul all the time around here, Way too many hills to have to pull and descend to not use it. Without Tow/Haul means burnt out brakes the only other option would be to get a DP
Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the TOW/HAUL mode, in conjunction with Cruise Control always. Hills, flat doesn't matter. The V10/Transmission is all computer controlled and works to perfection. You just need to get used to that high winding motor. And I see no difference in fuel mileage that amounts to anything.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It gets a little annoying in areas with rolling hills (small hills), though. I want to slow a little getting up the hill and let is gain a little speed going down. In the tow/haul mode it changes to a lower gear too soon, and then wants to use the engine brake on the down side of the hill. For me, the drive is a little more enjoyable when I turn it off in those conditions, especially on the down side of the hill.

2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE, 2014 Honda CRV with Roadmaster tow package, RVing on weekends and vacation since June 2012