Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
V-10 Stopping

2002-2003 model Ford F53 V-10. Last Friday, Dec.31, I was driving our motorhome on I-10 across the Florida panhandle. All of a sudden, with no warning, the engine simply quit. I was able to get the coach to the shoulder before steering and brakes were gone. Immediately attempted to restart, cranked, but no start. I turned the key off, went back for a relief break, and sat down and said a couple of prayers. Turned the switch, and it started, all gauges looked fine, so down the road we went. About an hour later the same thing happened. We stopped at a campground, and Jan 1, continued our trip ( about 4-1/2 hrs.) to southern Florida with no trouble. I now have access to the internet, and am trying to figure out what was going on ? Ideas??
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you drive through heavy rain if so check your air filter.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The idea of the driving rain refers to the V-10 ingesting water. It might be the problem but I don't believe so. It won't just stop. It will miss fire first but most times it won't quit completely. Ask me how I know??

For something like this to happen is more likely an intermittent open perhaps in the fuel or ignition system allowing them to just stop working but restart later when things cooled off a bit. That would also refer to a loose or corroded ground in those same systems.

We just experienced our steps coming out as we drove. My DW stood on the inside step which made them go back in. She stayed there until I could get off the road and pull the plug. The problem was a broken wire in the door switch which would lose connection when the coach frame or steps would flex just driving down the road or standing on the inside top step.

These type of intermittent electrical issues are difficult to duplicate and find. If/when it stops again then you or someone can determine if you've lost fuel or ignition. That will help to narrow it down. Sometimes, if you know where to look just wiggling wires and wiring harnesses can make it fail so you can work to isolate the issue.

It won't fix it's self so keep us informed as you travel. It will probably get worse then it may be easier to isolate.

TeJay
Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks for the responses. The air filter is an oil soaked Banks permanent filter that I recently had serviced. I have driven through torrential rains this week. What would I look for?? It wasn't raining when this happened.
Would these events be likely to register on the OBDI system, and should I have it downloaded and checked ?
Bob
Old 01-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Fuel pump could be getting hot and stopping.

Were you low on fuel when it happened. I understand that fuel cools them.

In any case, you need to track how, when, and where each occorance happens.

Anything that is the same, each time it dies, is a clue.

Time to play detective.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #6

Along with what Tejay said, when I still had the Hurricane (Chevy) I'd be going along and everything would just die. Stop, move around a bit checking this, checking that and low and behold it would crank back up. Sometimes in a pouring rain, sometimes on a nice sunny day. Finally was diagnosed as a loose battery ground cable.

When it quits, do you have dash lights or other indications that your chassis battery is still connected?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's not water in the intake. If it were it won't register in the CPU. You have not described anything that leads to that idea. When the V-10 acted up with rain it was torrential rain. Yours did it when it was not raining. Check banks filter for water. You won't find any. My 1999 V-10 would miss fire when raining and work great when it wasn't. What else can I tell you???

Every part has a job to do. When it fails it will exhibit symptoms, symptoms, symptoms. One diagnoses using the symptoms. You have to follow the path the symptoms take you. You have an intermittent issue with either fuel or spark. We don't know which yet.

As stated before. Drive it and when it does it again check for fuel and spark. That will narrow down the search. Getting an intermittent issue to act up is always a pain in the butt but either wait or wiggle some wires and check for some loose or bad grounds.

One more thing to try. I don't think this is it but it's worth a try. The next time it won't start take a dead blow hammer and give the fuel tank a few good smacks on the bottom. Don't dent it. Hopefully you'll hit it somewhere near the fuel pump. Immediately try to start it. If it does start your fuel pump is becoming sluggish because of rust and dirt.

I've seen this happen several times but most of the time when this is the issue once it is running it will keep running. If it is going bad because it's old who's to say how long it will stay running?? It's worth a try.

TeJay
Old 01-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
TeJay, thanks for lending your expertise to my problem. A few other clues. Several months ago I had a tune up done. We changed the plugs, cleaned and re oiled the air filter, changed the fuel filter, and changed the transmission fluid. When the engine quit the first time there was about 3/4 tank of gas, and it quit with no stumbling or hesitation that I associate with running out of gas. I've been on a lawn tractor when it ran out ( always at the far end of the yard ) and you could kind of feel it happening. This happened so suddenly and without any fanfare that it made me think it might be a loss of electrical power. Also the service engine soon light came on, but after turning off the ignition key, and then back on, the service engine soon light went out.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

Ignition switch. .particularly if you have a large amount of heavy keys possibly turning Ing switch off slightly. Just a guess. When they cut off without hesitation ....ignition / electrical.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
Also the service engine soon light came on, but after turning off the ignition key, and then back on, the service engine soon light went out.
Use a scanner and check for any stored codes.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
You're welcome. Just follow the symptoms. When it happens again you have to determine the source. Either no fuel or no spark. Once you figure that out you can troubleshoot. Until then it's just a shot in the dark.

Now when it does just stop will it still crank???? If the answer is yes then it's not an ignition switch unless for some reason the switch is not allowing power to the fuel or ignition system.

There's also a lot of relays that have to function but until you determine fuel or ignition again it's just P***ing into the wind.

Unless things have changed it has to turn on the MIL (maintenance indicator light) and it has to stay on to store a code.

TeJay
Old 01-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I mine 1999 v10 pending codes do not turn on the MIL.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #13

Rexhall Owners Group
Tejay, again , thanks for your input. The first time it stopped, as soon as I was on the shoulder, I turned the key to start, and it cranked but would not start. After I turned the key to off, ( after a brief visit to the restroom ) I attempted a start and it started immediately and the service light went out.
Do I understand you to say that I won't get a code from the OBD if the service light went out by itself ?? I was thinking about buying one of those OBD things.
Bob
Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb.25 View Post
2002-2003 model Ford F53 V-10. Last Friday, Dec.31, I was driving our motorhome on I-10 across the Florida panhandle. All of a sudden, with no warning, the engine simply quit. I was able to get the coach to the shoulder before steering and brakes were gone. Immediately attempted to restart, cranked, but no start. I turned the key off, went back for a relief break, and sat down and said a couple of prayers. Turned the switch, and it started, all gauges looked fine, so down the road we went. About an hour later the same thing happened. We stopped at a campground, and Jan 1, continued our trip ( about 4-1/2 hrs.) to southern Florida with no trouble. I now have access to the internet, and am trying to figure out what was going on ? Ideas??

It sounds like you have multiple problems. Your F53 chassis should be equipped with Hydromax brakes. It's a secondary system to insure you have braking even if the engine shuts down. If the braking system looses pressure you should hear a whining sound when you step on the brakes. That's the sound of the pump running to provide pressure to operate the brakes.

This pump should run anytime the brakes are depressed if the engine is not running. If the pump does not run when the engine is off and you step on the brakes you have either a wiring, pump motor, or battery, problem.