Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #1

V-10 with Magnaflow muffler, K&N air filter

Earlier this year, around April I think, there was a thread about replacing the stock muffler on a V-10 with Magnaflow to improve power & MPG. Well, I replaced my stock muffler on my 2006 motor home with a Magnaflow, P/N 14261, my Ford air filter with a K&N and since I was going on a long motor home trip I changed the oil and used Amsoil.

In 2007 we made a trip from Florida to near Rapid City SD and back. This year we are making a similar trip to near Rapid City and now are continuing westward and are currently in Coram MT, near the west entrance to Glacier National Park.

Here are the MPG data I’ve compiled. In 2007 the round trip mileage was 4897 miles and I used 727.7 gallons of gas for an average of 6.73 MPG. This year, the miles from one way to near Rapid City Sd was 2474 and the gas was 347.7 gallons for an average of 7.11 MPG.

So, I gained about 0.4 MPG. I wish it would be more but that’s what the numbers say. I sure would like to gain more MPG, maybe some of those magic magnets would do the trick and give 10+ MPG.

On both trips I used the dash air, and generator at lunch stops as needed. I did not keep exact records of how long each were in use.

Since leaving the Rapid City area there have been more hills and I have been driving faster to build up momentum for going up hill and there has been a lot more time in a lower gear as I go up hill. I thought I would see a drop in MPG but we have traveled 723 miles and used 101.4 gallons of gas for an average 7.12 MPG. That surprised me.

As far as power increase, what I notice is that the motor home can pull small grades without the down shifting as often as it did before the changes and seems to accelerate faster when in overdrive and on a level road. The motor home currently has 14,867 miles and 337 engine hours.
Jack
barbicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #2

You could check out Brazel's RV in Centralia Wa, as you are heading in that general direction. Their web site is quite informative and they offer a performance upgrade to ECM's for your V10. As an iRV2 subsciber, you recieve a discounted price on there products. I had the "Ultrapower" ecm upgrade done, and I'm impressed with the total overall increase in performance and power. I will be adding Magnaflows soon.
Goodturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Jack, Welcome to iRV2.com!

I have a couple of questions:

Is your chassis 2006 with the 3 valve 362 HP engine and Torqshift transmission with Tow-Haul mode button?

Before your mods when using the cruise control, did your coach downshift on the little "grades" that overpasses cause in FL (I'm thinking the I95 corridor which is pretty flat except for these "grades"). If so, does it do so after your mods in the same conditions? That alone would make it worth it for me.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Hi Stewart,

Yes mine is a 2006 chassis with the 3 valve 362 HP engine and Torqshift transmission with Tow-Haul mode button.

Whne we left this time we took I-75 north to I-10. It's hard to give one answer about downshifting and overpasses. In truth there was no downshift over many but ther were some where it downshifted. I really can't be much more specific than that.

I am happy I made the changes, overall I feel it is am improvement in driveability with a slight improvement in MPG.

Jack
Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #5

jack, i was just wondering what kind of sound difference you saw using the magnaflow
Old 07-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #6

billyb wrote: "what kind of sound difference you saw using the magnaflow"

I hear the most increase in exhaust note when the engine is at low rpm and the transmission is in a high(er) gear. However, I don't think anyone really notices when I go by. Haven't seen a dog howling yet. At normal speed, I would consider the increase in sound to be negligible.

Jack
Old 07-23-2010, 04:57 AM   #7

I travel the Fl I-75 with a E450 V-10 pulling a loaded Malibu. I do have the tow/haul tranny. It rarely have downshifts on I-75. Occasionally, if I am driving in a fairly strong head wind, It will down shift, 95% of the time it does not.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #8

That may be true for your E-450.

In my case I have a National RV SurfSide, 32 ft and tow a Pontiac G6

JAck