Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
V10 cold start issue

Hello all.
I have a 2003 F53 V10 that just developed a cold start issue.
Has started great all summer.i have owned it sense March of this year.24k miles
When it starts it has a slight stumble then its ok.
This has happened twice sense Monday.
It ran great from home to here about 75 miles,tank is full..
I have not checked anything as of yet.no check engine light.
I've read a few posts on this site and others and people are all over the board.
Some say plugs,air filter,maf sensor, cp sensor,fuel filter,fuel pump.
I agree some what on the fuel pump maybe cp sensor but that should set a code.
I worked at a ford dealer prayer to the V10.asumming it's the same as the v8
I don't have the tools any more to ck fuel pressure.
I don't mind working on it but I don't want to throw parts at it.
Any ideas?
Thank you
41pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy an economical pressure tester at harbor freight, one thing you might try is cycle the key from off to on back to off and back on pausing 3 seconds while in the on position then crank it. If this resolves your problem then it could be the pressure regulator is dumping fuel. But you need a gauge to test and see what the pressure is and then how long it can hold the pressure after shut down. This is just one of the many issues that could cause your problem. Battery voltage while cranking is also important but Give us more info after trying this..
Davidjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With the engine cold what is the air temp the ECU thinks it is? Same for engine coolant. A low cost code reader should provide live data with the key to run but the engine off to allow checking of pre start conditions. If the ECU thinks it's warmer (engine or air) if might not command a choke condition and limit air flow and fuel volume for operating conditions.

Try cleaning the idle control valve and the exhaust gas valve. Might be stuck open letting in too much air with a cold start rather than choking the engine as a carbureted fuel system would. Not sure if it would thru a code like a fly by wire throttle if the valve movement was incorrect. I think if the EGR is stuck it would, just not sure. You could also try a top end Sea Foam cleaning. Do a You Tube search for what and how to do it. Just don't over do it and hydrolock the engine. That would be bad and a winter rebuild project you don't want.

Many of the usual suspects as mention I would expect to also cause problems at operating temps or under load which wasn't mentioned. Think more along the lines of a cold idle problem.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool make a much better friends than Snap On if you're on a strict tool budget. Same with Rock Auto for parts unless you need something today rather than next week.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
turn the key to ON, but don't crank, wait 5 seconds, then turn the key OFF. Repeat this one more time, then on the third try, attempt to start the engine.

During this time the fuel pump should run for a couple seconds to build up pressure. If the engine starts right up, you have a bad fuel pump.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Possible it's the TABV (throttle air bypass valve) sticking. It will open normally to give air for starting, then when engine starts, it closes to allow just enough air past to maintain idle speed. When you shut your engine off warm, it requires very little air to maintain idle speed. If it sticks there when cold, and doesn't open next time you start your engine, it will try to start, but not until you give it a little throttle will it go. Or sometimes it will open and then start. Next time it does it, try just pressing down on the throttle a small amount as you crank it.
As you are probably aware, if the TABV is sticking, it will not throw or log a code.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
V 10 cold start

I drove about 80 miles Monday with no issues at all. Pulls grades fine,idle is normal. Just the cold start issue. Last time a drove it,about 4 weeks ago on a 500 mile trip with no issues.
If there was a air by pass valve issue. I would think there would be a erratic idle or a hunt for idle.
I have a Mac scan tool at home and will ck for pending codes when I get home and will see what cold air temp is before start.
I will keep you all posted.
I leave in the morning.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

I had a stumbling issue on cold start as on my 98 intruder with the triton V10. I had good fuel pump, so changed the fuel filter. That seemed to make the problem a little better. It actually ended up being a bad coil.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41pu View Post
I drove about 80 miles Monday with no issues at all. Pulls grades fine,idle is normal. Just the cold start issue. Last time a drove it,about 4 weeks ago on a 500 mile trip with no issues.
If there was a air by pass valve issue. I would think there would be a erratic idle or a hunt for idle.
I have a Mac scan tool at home and will ck for pending codes when I get home and will see what cold air temp is before start.
I will keep you all posted.
I leave in the morning.
Thanks for all the input.
I had a bad bypass valve and had similar symptoms as you, only no start after a while. Swapped it out and no more problem. Just saying worth a look. Easy to check at start-up.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check your starting battery. Battery dont work as Well when cold.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
ALSO - You may look at this. Cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor

I doubt the MAF sensor has ever been cleaned on my 2001 F53 (70k miles) So before this trip, took it apart and cleaned it. The engine seems to run smoother with less misfire and hesitation.

The MAF sensor is located in the air filter assembly.

Clean the MAF sensor on 2001 Ford F53 V10 | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #11

Chain auto parts stores "rent" tools , get the fuel pressure gauge there
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
V10 cold start

I haven't been able to get to this start issue.
Had some minor Back surgery.
Will up date soon. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:39 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
41pu I hope you recover soon and all is well. You really need to get back to RV'ing because it just does wonders to the human body and mind.

When was the last time the plugs were changed? Yes I know they say 100k miles but I wouldn't go longer than 5 years.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #14

I had a similar problem on my 1999 V10 it wasn't starting smoothly ran rough for a few seconds then I changed out the plugs last summer a 4 hour job btw , it has 53000 k im sure they were plugs from the factory , as Ford has changed up these plugs to be a the silver look as the old one were not on it I used the correct dielectric on the plug boots and in changing the plugs there was a lot of dirt dust even a few very tinny stones blew out of the spark plug compartments you do this before removing the plugs a very important step .
Its a straight forward job but you need a torque wrench that measure 15 lbs , runs fine and started fine since
There are a lot of good articles on line for this job
Regards
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10