RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Valve Stem Extenders

Guys: Curious what you are running on your F53 with steel wheels and beauty caps? I find this one of the more frustrating aspects of my rig. When I bought it, it had braided inner rear extenders and these on the outer rear (http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Dualie...stem+extenders).

The inner braided leaked and the outer solids came loose (and leaked). I had the inner replaced by the RV dealer and they seem OK so far, but I can see the braiding wearing, likely where it hits the beauty caps. The outer was re-installed by the RV shop and they came loose within the first drive. There are now removed, but putting air in the tire is a pain in the butt. I also am running monitors that serve as caps, which make it even more of a pain. I have tried the U-shaped and 90 degree shape solid extends with the bolt ends (from camping world) for the rear outer, but neither fit properly with the beauty caps.

The fronts are not ideal either.... What do you guys run???

I did an on-line search and some folks like the ones below, any thoughts?

DV Kits with Front Stems

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

We originally had braided extensions on the inner duals of our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. When we added the TPMS we were advised by the manufacturer to either install them directly on the steel valve stems, or use solid steel or brass extensions.

We replaced the original steel valve stems on the front wheels with some slightly longer so the sensors were outside the beauty ring (hub cap). We added 6" brass extensions to the inner duals to put the sensors within easy reach through the rear beauty rings so they could be removed if the tires needed air.

Our 2013 Adventurer didn't come with extensions on any wheels. The fronts and outer duals are easy to reach so we haven't done any modifications. The inner duals are a bit of a pain. Rather than add extensions, I get the tire in a position where I can get my hand between the inner and outer tires to install or remove the sensors.

To air up the tires I modified a Milton 506 air chuck to fit through the outer duals and fill the inner ones. The chuck I modified looks like this one.

Milton Dual Chuck Tire Inflator With Gauge

All I did was replace the brass tube between the hose and shoe with a piece of 5/16" brake line. I then bent the brake line so it would fit through the outer wheel and contact the valve stem on the inner wheel. If you decide to go this route all the parts should be available at any auto parts store. It takes a 12" piece of 5/16" brake line and a couple adaptors from SAE threads to pipe threads

Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 AM   #3

I have braided extensions on the duals and have not had any problems with them for 8 years and 20K+ miles. When I bought my TPMS, I was unable to get the sensors on the front without valve extensions because the angle of the stem left no room for the sensors. I initially bought Pacific Dualie extensions and found them to be pure junk. I then bought what I believe are the same extensions you bought, Wheel Right, from camping world. They don't have the "floppy joint" with the rubber o-ring and they have worked great. No leaks and stay in place. I found the 135 degree angle was what worked best to clear my beauty caps.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

When I put the valve stem extenders on mine I put a round of teflon pipe tape on the valve stem threads before I put the extenders on and I haven't had any leaks and they haven't came loose. Also if the braided extender is wearing, get a rubber hose that is just a little bigger and put it over the extender and that will take care of that problem. Works every time.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post

I did an on-line search and some folks like the ones below, any thoughts?

DV Kits with Front Stems

Thanks!

Those stems from Borg are the ONLY ones I will use and recommend. They are the very BEST!

Trust me you won't be disappointed.

I have had them on all of my six wheels since new tires were installed in April of 2010.

Not one problem. Solid valve stems are the only answer.

BTW, any braided or valve extenders are an accident waiting to happen.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

I have had braided extenders on 4 MHs over 23 + years and no problems. But I tighten them good when I put them on. No loosey leaky

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote