RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

Valve Stem Stabilizers

I have a 2019 Jayco Alante 29s, on a Ford F53 ch‚ssis with 19.5 in tires, and Iím going to install the Eezrv TPMS system.

Itís recommended to either have metal valve stems, or install stabilizers if you have rubber valve stems.

Has anyone installed valve stem stabilizers? If so where did you get them and what brand?

Thanks

Okanagan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

here's a few https://www.amazon.com/s?k=19.5+valv...ref=nb_sb_noss

Old 09-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most semi truck shops that sell tires will also have a good selection of brass tire stems. Yes the tire has to be deflated to install but when it's done that's it.

Flexible stems can have issues if they flex to much and get loose and allow air to escape. Running a tire low for just a few miles can cause internal ply damage. The more joint you have for air to leak increases the chances it will.

I had 180 degree stems installed on the fronts. They only are on the front. If they are rotated the stem will work on either side.

The same for the rears. I installed a SS flex extension but reinforced it with three layers of heat shrink tubing to stiffen them to reduce movement. When I rotate/swap tires the inners are swapped side to side along with the outers. The outers have another either 45 or 180 degree brass stem installed. They can all be reached easily with a standard air tool.

Some advocate never to rotate tires. I understand that thinking but!!. I swap fronts and rears side to side for three reasons.
1. I use 305 rubber treatment in the spring on both sides. The inside is done while swapping tires.
2. Rotating/swapping the tires puts each tire in the opposite rotation as before. If there are wear differences it will tend to even the wear pattern.
3. I can't change front to back because of the brass valve stems.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

Metal valve stem extensions

Click image for larger version

Name:	VALVE STEMS TIRE.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	260827
19fisherman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
NXR

I got my 22.5" Alcoa grommets from these folks: https://www.finditparts.com

Ray
Old 09-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #6

I don't recall seeing any rubber valve stems in 19.5 rims. Not sure rubber is rated for the pressure. I'll have to look and see if I can find any specs on the valve stems.

I did find some info on rubber valve stems. The type typically in a car and light truck are rated to 60 psi. There is a stronger snap in rubber valve with a metal barrel available in 2 sizes, .453" good for 80 psi and the .625" good for 100 psi.

Didn't deal with many 19.5 wheels at work, mostly 22.5.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd just go with Borg solid valve stems and bypass possible problems on the road. Too many things already happen to allow something more that you easily prevent.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a set of Dually Stems and never have to worry about leaking extensions.

John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve