Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Appointment this Thursday for vibration fix: RV and Light Truck Service shop. Owner's been doing this since the early 70's and says "it's the tires". Won't even consider other remedies until we change the GY 670RVs out.

So Thursday - and no, this isn't a ploy to sell me tires. He knows the history - and before I even told him about it, he had driven it after the alignment and told me what I was feeling " is all tires".....
here's how I did it... when I went to the tire shop.. I had them spin the tires on the machine.. also had them check the run out on the rims,,... and the tires

one other thing... the tires have to be aired up lay'n down or you will get tires mounted out of round..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
Dave-Oh,
OK, I can understand it is the rear wheels that vibrate.
1. So, is it the tires that are off balance or out of round?
2. Is it the wheel that is bent or out of round?
3. You say that when Wingfoot balance your tires, it was normal and none was out of round or wobbly? Were you there in the back watching them for yourself? Did you see the tires spin on the machine and checked to see they were spinning true with a tire guide?

Good Luck..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
here's how I did it... when I went to the tire shop.. I had them spin the tires on the machine.. also had them check the run out on the rims,,... and the tires

one other thing... the tires have to be aired up lay'n down or you will get tires mounted out of round..
Yep, I agree with you LVRVLUVR. I said and meant the same thing when I said did they use a tire guide. Good info to air the tire when it is laying down.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
LVRV,

Where do you get 6 tires/wheels to swap????

Kind of simple I believe!!! A guy buys an RV and it has a vibration that neither the dealer nor Ford can fix. They've messed around with this for 6 to 8 or more months. It's been to 2 or 3 ford dealers and a tire store or two. Nothing is working and they have quit. Goodyear even changed his tires (I think all 6) once and road force balanced them I believe twice. Still no improvement.

So there's a $100,000 + RV that the owner can't drive because it vibrates. I would think between FORD and the original selling Dealer they could find some wheels/tires from another unsold coach on the lot for the swap. You don't even need 6. Just take two from the front (that we determined are not vibrating) and move them around until the vibration goes away. How simple is that????

The owner has not had the use of his coach for 6 to 8 months. I dare guess I could have swapped two good tires/rims around that unit in one morning and had his problem solved the first day he brought that coach to me. I even offered to do it for him but we live to far away.

That's how I'd do it.

As far as always laying a tire flat to air it up. That's a new one on me. I have never heard that before and sure can't see why it makes any difference how it's setting. Does anybody have a reason for doing it flat??? I do know tire lube of some kind is very important for proper seating onto the rim.

TeJay
Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
LVRV,

Where do you get 6 tires/wheels to swap????

Kind of simple I believe!!! A guy buys an RV and it has a vibration that neither the dealer nor Ford can fix. They've messed around with this for 6 to 8 or more months. It's been to 2 or 3 ford dealers and a tire store or two. Nothing is working and they have quit. Goodyear even changed his tires (I think all 6) once and road force balanced them I believe twice. Still no improvement.

So there's a $100,000 + RV that the owner can't drive because it vibrates. I would think between FORD and the original selling Dealer they could find some wheels/tires from another unsold coach on the lot for the swap. You don't even need 6. Just take two from the front (that we determined are not vibrating) and move them around until the vibration goes away. How simple is that????

The owner has not had the use of his coach for 6 to 8 months. I dare guess I could have swapped two good tires/rims around that unit in one morning and had his problem solved the first day he brought that coach to me. I even offered to do it for him but we live to far away.

That's how I'd do it.

As far as always laying a tire flat to air it up. That's a new one on me. I have never heard that before and sure can't see why it makes any difference how it's setting. Does anybody have a reason for doing it flat??? I do know tire lube of some kind is very important for proper seating onto the rim.

TeJay
when you air the tire on a newly mounted rim,it needs to be lay'n flat on the ground to get the tire centered on the wheel... the weight of the rim will let the rim mount off center if it's standing up...lots of tire busters don't know this and that where the viberations come from..

there is a mounting ring that runs around the edge of the tire..you look at the revile and can tell if the tire is mounted proper..

I'm an expert at tire mounting and balance and see no need to have another set of wheels to see if they are bad... I can "LOOK" at them and tell if they are bad

for the coach to have a vibration,... some thing has to be wrong some where

if you go to a tire guy that says it doesn't matter if you seat the bead with the tires up or lay'n flat...... find another tire guy..

I still wanna know the name of the dealer that is gonna drive a new coach over to the tire store... and let you take the wheels off of it..
Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 AM   #19

I wanted to add this,... ive had a vibration that was fixed by taking all the tires letting out the air... poping the bead..while they were lay'n flat re setting the bead....vibration gone
Old 04-07-2016, 04:10 AM   #20

tejay...

just for you...look at the 7:14 mark if you don't wanna watch the whole thing..

Old 04-07-2016, 04:38 AM   #21

TeJay and LVRVLUVR:

good stuff and just in time! heading to the shop shortly.

now we'll see if I can put this issue to bed.....
Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
One fix is not a fix for all. Solving problems takes diagnosis and not skipping steps.

Dave has had his rig to a GY tire store. Wing foot I believe. They changed his tires and balanced them. No change. Did they do it all correctly???? Our guess is no!!!! That still does not solve his problem.

Why do you not believe a dealer would swap a known good set with possible bad ones????

An RV is delivered to a DEALER. Ford has a responsibility to see that the chassis they delivered to the RV manufacturer is good. The RV manufacturer sells the product. They have to rely on Ford and Ford has to rely on the dealer. If Ford can't fix the problem and the RV dealer says well that's Fords problem not ours then is does become an issue. Nobody wants to own up and do what's right. Yes swapping a set of tires has to be a mutual agreement but it is my belief that any reasonable dealer would do it to solve the problem. If not then back to FORD. Then get the lawyers involved.

That's what Dave has dealt with all this time with no good results. So FORD and the original selling dealer who have an obligation to follow through with their warranty on the chassis and RV should swap a known good set of tires (only two needed) until the vibration is found and fixed. Nobody stepped up.

What can a guy do when he has tried all the issues, spent time and $$$$$ going to the places that Ford says to go and nothing works?? It's great that you solved a problem with a simple deflate and inflate. What do you do if that does not work????

What do you do when no fix works?? I guess if I had sold that RV I would have gladly offered two good tires and rim from my dealership off a coach that is new and drives well just to solve the issue. Then I'd contact FORD and tell them that the rims, tires are causing the vibration and have them take care of it as they should.

Did you read Dave's post where he told us that he had to buy a run out gauge because nobody had one or could use one if they had it???

As Dave said on the post above. He's headed to a shop that says that they know how to fix his issue.

One other point for Dave. He's in MD. My Son just moved from there and both of them told me that there are few truck shops big or small in the area. Choices for getting things done are few and far between. If you have limited choices that also limits a places where one can get quality work done as Dave has noticed. I'm not sure where he's headed today. We'll see and hope for the best.

Another point. Much of what Dave has learned over this journey has been from these forums. There's a lot of knowledge and talent available and he has taken advantage of it.

TeJay
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #23

Quote:
One fix is not a fix for all. Solving problems takes diagnosis and not skipping steps.

Dave has had his rig to a GY tire store. Wing foot I believe. They changed his tires and balanced them. No change. Did they do it all correctly???? Our guess is no!!!! That still does not solve his problem.

Why do you not believe a dealer would swap a known good set with possible bad ones????

An RV is delivered to a DEALER. Ford has a responsibility to see that the chassis they delivered to the RV manufacturer is good. The RV manufacturer sells the product. They have to rely on Ford and Ford has to rely on the dealer. If Ford can't fix the problem and the RV dealer says well that's Fords problem not ours then is does become an issue. Nobody wants to own up and do what's right. Yes swapping a set of tires has to be a mutual agreement but it is my belief that any reasonable dealer would do it to solve the problem. If not then back to FORD. Then get the lawyers involved.

That's what Dave has dealt with all this time with no good results. So FORD and the original selling dealer who have an obligation to follow through with their warranty on the chassis and RV should swap a known good set of tires (only two needed) until the vibration is found and fixed. Nobody stepped up.

What can a guy do when he has tried all the issues, spent time and $$$$$ going to the places that Ford says to go and nothing works?? It's great that you solved a problem with a simple deflate and inflate. What do you do if that does not work????

What do you do when no fix works?? I guess if I had sold that RV I would have gladly offered two good tires and rim from my dealership off a coach that is new and drives well just to solve the issue. Then I'd contact FORD and tell them that the rims, tires are causing the vibration and have them take care of it as they should.

Did you read Dave's post where he told us that he had to buy a run out gauge because nobody had one or could use one if they had it???

As Dave said on the post above. He's headed to a shop that says that they know how to fix his issue.

One other point for Dave. He's in MD. My Son just moved from there and both of them told me that there are few truck shops big or small in the area. Choices for getting things done are few and far between. If you have limited choices that also limits a places where one can get quality work done as Dave has noticed. I'm not sure where he's headed today. We'll see and hope for the best.

Another point. Much of what Dave has learned over this journey has been from these forums. There's a lot of knowledge and talent available and he has taken advantage of it.

TeJay
did you watch the video's
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #24

did anyone watch them?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I watched the video's. Good information. I do not have training in the area of heavy truck tires. At this stage of the game I don't want to become trained but the information is good to have. I was aware of probably 60% of the information but I thank you for posting them.

I'm a bit slow responding because we are doing what we should be doing which is out camping.

TeJay
Old 04-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes I watched the video's. Good information. I do not have training in the area of heavy truck tires. At this stage of the game I don't want to become trained but the information is good to have. I was aware of probably 60% of the information but I thank you for posting them.

I'm a bit slow responding because we are doing what we should be doing which is out camping.

TeJay
Enjoy
Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
did anyone watch them?
If only the actual folks we PAY to do this stuff would watch the videos and review the problem solving steps and advice laid out on this site......sigh

I did watch. Good, solid tech advice.

I'll be taking my safe-t-plus over to the shop later and will check on the progress. I'm hoping to be able to catch a few of the roadforce tire setups as they work on it this morning....if I can out of work in time. They said they got in the tires not too long ago and have started the swap.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #28

Stopped by the shop - discussed the new tires -Michelin XZEs, discussed how they mounted them, "laying down" - like in the video. Owner actually DID drive it - "we have a starting point, the vibration starts at 38 and goes on up". He feels between the hunter road-force balancer, the new tires and the centrimatics, I'll have a really good ride. Agrees with the install of a steering stabilizer and (if I still think I need it) a track bar on the rear.

His final comment: "I like the challenge".....

What's not to like?

Tags
vibration