Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water in Air box and wet air filter

I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar (F53) that has a 2” space in the front grill that lines up with the air filter intake. If caught in a heavy rain at highway speeds it sucks in rain water, enough where there is water in the bottom of the filter box and the filter is soaked.
2 questions:
1- Is the filter still good after it dries?
2- Has anyone modified their intake to prevent it from sucking in water?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would get a new filter they seam to loose something when they get wet. Are the drains in the bottom of the air box working?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW!!! We had the same problem with our 1999 F-53. You mean to tell me that Ford still hasn't figured out how to stop water from entering the air filter???? I thought locating it up where they did would stop that from happening but I guess I'm wrong. From your response it seems that their solution is to put in drains. If they get plugged up then it gets soaked.

Have others experienced this problem as well???

TeJay
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Think I would be getting the intake opening away from that 2" gap.

PVC pipe, or dryer vent .
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a cold air intake that pulls air directly in from the open grill. No problems because I use a gauze air filter (K&N type). Oil in filter will not mix with water. I driven in many pouring rains. And have never had any problems in over a million miles using gauze filters.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Banks has a solution to this issue with their replacement air intake snorkel/horn. Has a specific cutout that lets water blow through without going into the intake tube (since its heavier than air) while maintaining the correct air intake into the tube.

While this was part of our Banks Power System kit for our 1997 F53 chassis, it can be purchased separately.

Previous owner removed all the air intake system back to the air cleaner housing in an attempt to correct the wet filter issue. Not a good idea since it changed air intake flow and of course it didn't prevent a wet filter!!

BTW you can only get the air intake hose connector to air cleaner box from a salvage yard, and it's only sold as part of the entire air cleaner, connector, hose and snorkel assembly (and its not cheap!!). Go ahead, ask me how I know

Cheers!!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
WOW!!! We had the same problem with our 1999 F-53. You mean to tell me that Ford still hasn't figured out how to stop water from entering the air filter???? I thought locating it up where they did would stop that from happening but I guess I'm wrong. From your response it seems that their solution is to put in drains. If they get plugged up then it gets soaked.

Have others experienced this problem as well???

TeJay

Im not sure it is really a Ford issue. Im sure they tell the body builders to plan ahead so to not allow water to get into the air filter. They just supply a chassis with an engine. The body is up to the body builder. All production cars and trucks have the air intake in a spot to prevent water from rain from entering (aka inner fender).
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I extended the intake hose about 30" to the corner behind the wall in front of the passenger side taking it away from the direct flow of water coming through the hood area. I am also thinking of replacing the filter with a K&N type filter to compensate for the loner intake hose. I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We took a trip to Utah years ago and as we were leaving AR and heading into OK we hit a bad storm. The 1999 F-53 sucked in the water and it started missing bad. We were close to our dealer in Claremore and went there. They installed a 4" flex hose well above the grill and away from the incoming rain. That solved the water problem but later when we encountered some hills we couldn't get the unit over 35 MPH. Since that was the last thing done it had to be the flex tubing that was restricting the air flow and reducing my HP and MPH. I stopped and took the tubing off and fixed the HP problem but we still had to fix the water ingestion problem. I don't think it rained the rest of the trip so I fixed it when we got home.
I still can't believe they are still having the water problem.

TeJay
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar (F53) that has a 2” space in the front grill that lines up with the air filter intake. If caught in a heavy rain at highway speeds it sucks in rain water, enough where there is water in the bottom of the filter box and the filter is soaked.
2 questions:
1- Is the filter still good after it dries?
2- Has anyone modified their intake to prevent it from sucking in water?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.
ford changed the filter on your model. The early models 99 to 04
were bad to pick up water. There is a repair for the early models with a completely new intake pipe. On your model, the only ones I have seen get wet is the ones where the blue shipping plug was not removed from the filter box. As you face the filter, the air intake is on the left, On the right front bottom is the water drain. Make sure the blue shipping plug has been removed.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the blue plug info gaTraveler. As mentioned maybe it's the coach builder that is not taking the time to assure that the grill is actually directing water into the filter intake instead of deflecting it away from the intake? I guess I'll inspect and see if a small screen to break up the incoming water would be a solution. Maybe a simple metal fin to deflect the water away from directly entering the filter. Since I had that episode on our 1999 I did look at the air filter location and briefly looked at the design arrangement on the F-53 chassis when we were on the factory tour last month but I didn't examine it that carefully. We will take delivery the end of July.

TeJay
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On ours the intake is facing towards the passenger side of the engine compartment and not straight on but the drain is facing a 2" gap in the cowling....go figure.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Filter WET?

Just saw and re-opened this post.

When I took the coach in for maintenance last week, they told me the air filter was "wet".

We drove in rains all the way back from Louisiana on I-20, although soft rain, it was still wet and definitely with a west to east tilt on the rain, so I'm assuming from this thread that is how this happened with my 2003 Ford Chassis.....

I thought this was a great find so I re-vitalized it regarding a wet air filter....and the rain....
Old 05-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
ford changed the filter on your model. The early models 99 to 04
were bad to pick up water. There is a repair for the early models with a completely new intake pipe. On your model, the only ones I have seen get wet is the ones where the blue shipping plug was not removed from the filter box. As you face the filter, the air intake is on the left, On the right front bottom is the water drain. Make sure the blue shipping plug has been removed.
The early models 99 to 04
were bad to pick up water. There is a repair for the early models with a completely new intake pipe.

Is this something expensive Ga Traveler? This repair??

Tags
water