Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #1

Waterpump replacement

Any one ever replace the waterpump themselves on a 1997 Southwind with the Ford 460 engine. Should I go at it from the front, top, or bottom?
txrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrv2 View Post
Any one ever replace the waterpump themselves on a 1997 Southwind with the Ford 460 engine. Should I go at it from the front, top, or bottom?
You can do it you will use all 3 positions to get at it. Some times you can gain access through the fender wells as well.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #3

460 waterpump replacement

I changed my pump on 94 bounder 460 last year.ninety % i did from inside.this job was extreamly diffulcult mainly i was very concerned with breaking bolts off.thankfully thanks to pb blaster penetrating oil i got them all out safely.most work was done with a mirror and feel.keep very carefull placement of all bolts.good luck.
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

All of the above. Most work will be from above if you haven't changed your belts lately now would be a good time to get that job over with too as you'll already have it apart. I also changed my alternator at the same time but that was because it looked like it would be next. If you put a piece of carpet over the back of the engine it's easier to lay across the engine to reach.
Good luck take your time and try not to skin your knuckles too bad.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #5

I would do it as much from the top and sides. Unless you live in Australia where they are upside down (just kidding) you have a great chance of getting nice an wet from coolant. Nothing like a mouth full of coolant to brighten your day.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement, water