Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Westway Ford in Irving (DFW Area) F-53 Ford Chassis Service

I took the coach over Saturday morning to Westway Ford in Irving off 183 and MacArthur for the inspection on the coach. (Shame on me it was due in May)

You can drive your motorhome in the service bays, they are high and wide enough, three of them, just like a car service center.

Johnny is who took care of me. He is the RV go to guy there.

They said it might be up to a couple of hours but had me in and out in 45 minutes!

I was so impressed with their facility, the courteous staff, the waiting area, restrooms, all are even nicer than the Cadillac dealer in Dallas!

Don Davis couldn't get to me, when I called him he said it would be at least a week, and he suggested I take it to Westway Ford in Irving. I did just that and probably won't be back to Don Davis despite them being closer to me than Westway Ford.

I highly recommend Westway Ford. And talk to Johnny. They are set up for motorhomes and don't treat you like a different class of people. Great service. Great dealership.

http://www.imakenews.com/westwayford....cfm?x=b11,0,w

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you had a good experience. I found it difficult to get RV service, even in DFW with 10+ Ford dealers around.

I'm never down on dealers who give a realistic vision of wait times (IE - "at least a week") - their service back log is what it is and it's much worse if they say they can get to it, then can't.. Or don't refer you to someone else who can take it.

I also found one other thing - if your RV won't drive, it's subject to the availability of an "RV class" wrecker than can tow it to the dealer, and then place it in the bay when it's your turn, so it's especially frustrating.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Good for you Kent !

Westway must have changed a LOT since I was last there then

Having owned a BUNCH of ford's we've tried them all !
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #4

I was wondering how inspection went
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was dismayed at first because I swore I talked to a guy named Mike, who told me to bring it on in Saturday and no problems. But when I got there, there was no such person.

Made me wonder if I called the wrong dealership in my old age.

But even though I was unannounced and unreserved, they did fit me in and did a heck of a quick job for me. I was at first very resistant to a 2 hour wait time, but as the conversation developed, I may not have found any other dealer to do it at all and I wanted it completed.

I do remember Don Davis charged me the 39.95 for a full smog inspection and it was only a safety inspection for 14.95. Anyway, confusion abounds.

I had a great experience with those guys at Westway, that was on Saturday morning July 5, which who knows, maybe everybody was in a great mood....

Here's a pic when they were through, I had to take this picture because she looked so pretty there in the drive through.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140705_110837_193.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	67225  
Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is for state inspection? I thought Dallas (county) required emissions testing (smog) on all vehicles registered there. The cost of the inspection is per state law and depends on which county the vehicle is registered in...

I understand why waiting 2 hours for an inspection might bug you... Locally (we have smog too) I take it to one of those 15-mintue places. Finding one big enough to park the RV is the hard part.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
This is for state inspection? I thought Dallas (county) required emissions testing (smog) on all vehicles registered there. The cost of the inspection is per state law and depends on which county the vehicle is registered in...

I understand why waiting 2 hours for an inspection might bug you... Locally (we have smog too) I take it to one of those 15-mintue places. Finding one big enough to park the RV is the hard part.
Yes, I agree. I just looked up the information:

Quote:
Motor homes and RV’s with a gross weight over 4500 pounds are required to have annual safety inspections. Motor homes in EMISSIONS counties are also required to have the appropriate emissions test performed.

If the motor home is 1996 or newer and OBDII capable, then your motor home will receive an OBDII test. Not all motor homes in this age category come equipped with OBDII compliant plug-in; therefore, if your motor home or RV is not OBDII ready, it will require the appropriate tailpipe emissions test.

If the motor home is 1995 or older it requires the ASM emissions test. The ASM equipment in the Dallas and Houston areas have an 8500 pound limitation. Therefore, if your motor home exceeds this weight limitation, it will be switched to the TSI testing mode.

It is recommended that you make contact with the station prior to arrival to ensure their equipment can accommodate your vehicle. Vehicles too large for standard inspection bays need not be inspected within the inspection building if the analyzer is housed close enough to the bay opening. The analyzers come with a 20 foot lead; and this will determine whether or not a station can roll their machinery outside the bay to conduct this type of inspection.
The sticker is the same as on the car so maybe they did do an emissions and mis-charged, but that wouldn't make sense either. At any rate, it was performed at a qualified and obviously well versed in motorhome inspection station and if they don't know what they are supposed to do then we are all up the creek.

I do know at Don Davis when they found that my coach does not have the OBDII plug in and keyed in the VIN, the state inspection system automatically brought up that it knew it did not have the OBDII plug in and they did the standard safety inspection and the sticker was the same color and type as on the car then too. Interesting. I need to go look at the emissions/safety inspection report they left in the coach to verify emissions was or was not performed on the coach.

Tags
rving, ford, service, chassis