Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

what motor oil do i use

i had my 1997 windsport with a 460 ford engine serviced at ford yesterday but when i got home i noticed that ford dealer used 10w30 superduty diesel motor oill in my gas engine.did the dealership screw up?
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2

My dad used diesel rated oil in gas engines starting in 1956 and never had a problem, in HD application like a M/H or tow vehicle I do the same , stronger detergents and better particulate suspension properties in the oil formulation.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

If that is actually what they used boy did they ever unless it is a SM/SJ rated. Call first thing and verify. No harm yet but I certainly would not drive any distance till I found out
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #4

If you have a catalytic converter then yes, they used the wrong stuff. If not, no harm that I can tell.

SAE 10W-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Not a problem. Oil formulated for diesels must meet more stringent specs then that formulated for gas engines.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #6

That diesel oil has zink in it, not as much as it did years ago, but still has some amount & the ol 460s need that zink to protect the cam lobes & lifters.
It is said, that the zink in the oil will attack the cat converters, what damage it will do I dont know.

I can tell you this much about which oil to use in the 460s.
The oil pump in a 460, it drives off of a shaft turned by the dizzy & cam. The pump is as hard to turn as any I've ever rotated with an electric drill when priming up an engine, so an oil like 10W30 10W40 should be used when its cold out. Summer time, you might can get by with a 20W40 or 50, which is way to thick of an oil to use, but if you do, let the engine get good & hot before you drive off so it wont be so hard on that hex shaft & dizzy trying to turn that oil pump.
The 460s I've worked on
Neil
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #7

i dont have a cat. converter and i stopped at the ford dealership and they said it is the right oil.if i drop the oil can i switch to mobile1 10w30 synthetic?
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
i dont have a cat. converter and i stopped at the ford dealership and they said it is the right oil.if i drop the oil can i switch to mobile1 10w30 synthetic?
You could, but whats the use in wasting that new oil in the engine. When its time to change again, switch to the Mobil 1.

That ol 460 needs that little bit of zink in that diesel oil, because it is not like the newer late model engines that have roller lifters rolling on the cam lobes.

You want to know something about a 460 big block Ford, go to 460 Ford Forum them boys over there know about a big block Ford.
Neil