Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #1

What type of oil?

I have a 2002 f53 class a what type oil goes in rear end and about how much to refill want to change it out ,thank you
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The book says we have either a Dana 80 or a Dana 135.

One way to tell the difference is look at the axle tubes between the differential and the wheels. If the tubes are round, its a Dana 80. If they are square, its a Dana 135..

I'll bet you have a 135..

ARE YOU SITTING DOWN ???

The 80 takes 4 qts. The 135 takes 12 quarts of 75W-140 synthetic.. Best price I found was Walmart at $12 a quart.

I checked the level in mine last spring and its OK.. Maybe next summer, I'll drain it, run it through a coffee filter, and re-use it..

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Ford used 3 different sizes of rear axles depending on the chassis weight rating. Mine's a DANA 80 and uses 4 quarts. I'm running 80-140 synthetic. The DANA 80 does not have a removable third member so to drain the oil the rear cover has to be removed. There is a procedure to reinstall it using silicone sealant.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Ford used 3 different sizes of rear axles depending on the chassis weight rating. Mine's a DANA 80 and uses 4 quarts. I'm running 80-140 synthetic. The DANA 80 does not have a removable third member so to drain the oil the rear cover has to be removed. There is a procedure to reinstall it using silicone sealant.
Rear end oil never goes bad. Unless you have a problem don't waste your time and money .
Just asked my heavy truck and rv mechanic about changing it out, he said unless a leak or other problem dont do it.
[emoji16]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
Rear end oil never goes bad. Unless you have a problem don't waste your time and money .
Just asked my heavy truck and rv mechanic about changing it out, he said unless a leak or other problem dont do it.
[emoji16]
Ok thank you for all your help
Old 11-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 1999 F-53 and the differential did have an issue. With less than 10,000 miles on a trip from AR to ME I began to hear the rumbling sound from worn ring and pinion gears. We had it checked when we got to ME and was told to drive it back to AR and have a shop replace it under warranty.

It was during that fiasco I heard the phrase, "The synthetic gear lubricant was good for life." That was the first time I even realized that Ford used a synthetic gear lube.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #7

AS a former heavy truck and equipment mechanic sine 1969 I don't believe in a "lifetime" fluid. I changed the gear oil in my 1999 F53 and it did take over 11 quarts to refill it. The oil did have some debris from wear but just a normal amount.
One of the reasons I changed it was the fact the differential breather hose had cracked about 3/4 of the way thru on the fitting in the diff. This made an easy point in which moisture and dirt could get inside the diff.
When I looked at the old gear oil it was not the clear honey colored fluid that I would normally see with synthetic gear oil. It looked more like standard gear oil with the cloudy appearance and had the strong odor of mineral oil also. The Valvoline synthetic I put in did not have the strong odor and was clear.
Since I bought our MH almost 2 years ago I have no clue what was done to it by previous owners or what may have happened to it.

What length of time do the factories consider a "lifetime"? Probably not 20 years.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
AS a former heavy truck and equipment mechanic sine 1969 I don't believe in a "lifetime" fluid. I changed the gear oil in my 1999 F53 and it did take over 11 quarts to refill it. The oil did have some debris from wear but just a normal amount.
One of the reasons I changed it was the fact the differential breather hose had cracked about 3/4 of the way thru on the fitting in the diff. This made an easy point in which moisture and dirt could get inside the diff.
When I looked at the old gear oil it was not the clear honey colored fluid that I would normally see with synthetic gear oil. It looked more like standard gear oil with the cloudy appearance and had the strong odor of mineral oil also. The Valvoline synthetic I put in did not have the strong odor and was clear.
Since I bought our MH almost 2 years ago I have no clue what was done to it by previous owners or what may have happened to it.

What length of time do the factories consider a "lifetime"? Probably not 20 years.
I agree I don't believe any OIL is LIFETIME
IMHO it is peace of mind for me
My MH is 5 years now 45,000 miles
Even if it the fluid stills looks good I will replace it.
I already replaced all Hoses - Trans Filter and Fluid - Coolant - Brake Fluid
Our vacation time for my family is too important to me to cheap out on replacing or performing service work.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #9

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/need-...ml#post3531434
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #10

Just checked mine is the dana 135 has square tubes also has drain plug in bottom
Old 11-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a comment or two concerning the phrase, "Life time." We are dealing with folks who think or believe what they do based on what they have done and read in the past. Little of what most folks believe is based on FACTS. It's mostly based on what they were told by DAD or friends or close relatives.

That belief system is very, very strong. Ask Mobil how strong that system is?? Back in the mid 70's when Mobil came out with the first full synthetics Mobil 1 they advertised 25,000 between oil changes. That was back when everybody was recommending 3,000 mile oil changes. Not a man in his right mind would ever try to get 25,000 mile out of an oil change. eventually Mobil backed off that idea because they realized just how strong those beliefs were and they couldn't change it.

Back in the mid 80's I went into an Auto Zone to get some 10W-30 oil and they didn't have any. I asked why since they had been out for several years. Their answer was, "Nobody is asking for it." So if nobody asks for it then it's not good??? Silly assumption but that's true. If nobody uses it then it can't be good. Well multi viscosity oils do work.

I'm reminded of my students who always told me, "You can't store a wet cell battery on a concrete floor because it will suck the juice out of it overnight. "

There may have been a time in past history when that comment did have some validity but the facts concerning it today do not support it. My students didn't believe me based on what they were told not what they learned.

If a manufacturer says an oil is good for the life of the vehicle then it must mean something. I'd assume they did testing on it and therefore it should work. They do have to stand behind their statement. At least I'd believe they would have to.

Now they are pushing 7,000 oil changes for engines. Eventually the old will die or change and the younger will believe that technology does change and sometimes it even improves things.

Final comment is this: Yes I will use synthetic oils longer. I'll probably change the gear oil and not wait to find out what the lifetime really is.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post

I changed mine at 50K because the book said to. Like you I found mine all black looking. I think I may know why now though. I believe Ford pre-lubes the bearings with grease (book says to do this too) even though the bearings are lubed with oil. I think the grease just breaks down from the oil and then mixes which changes the nice honey color you describe as new fluid to the nasty looking black fluid we drained out.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew1 View Post
Just checked mine is the dana 135 has square tubes also has drain plug in bottom

The Spicer/Dana 135 uses fluid that you won’t find in a box store. They have an Approved Lubricant Supplier list (February 2016), which is one of their downloadable documents. I did mine last summer and went with the 80W140 because we will be traveling in the west in the next couple of years. It meets the Spicer/Dana SHEAS 429. If you want to stick with the original 75W90 oil, it needs to meet SHAES 256 Rev. C.

None of the fluids you will find in Autozone, Walmart, etc. meet these requirements so you use at your own risk. Also, Spicer/Dana also has a Lubrication Manual (LM072012 May 2015) that provides the maintenance schedule including fluid changes, and the fluid is not “lifetime “.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IT does pick up water, do NOT ask me how, but my Nissan had strong evidence at 22-years/ 100k miles when changed... surprised me..