Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

When can we expect a new engine in the F53?

There seem to be lots of rumors of "next generation" gas engines coming into the HD truck market in the next few years. Does anyone have any idea or prediction as to when some of these might trickle into the F53 (of some other) chassis?

Let's face it, the Ford 6.8L V10 is becoming kind of a dinosaur. It's got to be going on 20 years now with no major changes. A new-age gas engine putting out well north of 400hp and up near or past 600 lb/ft or torque sure would be a game changer. Am I dreaming?

Unfortunately, it seems that RVs are kind of a small voice but I'd have to think there is a lot of demand for mid-sized light trucks/delivery trucks that would benefit.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

400 and 600? Get a diesel.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #3

You ever heard...If it aint broke don't fix it?

Thats how I feel about it. Im in my 2nd F53 coach and ZERO problems ever with the Ford products. I service at my local Ford dealer twice a year in the $350-400 range with generator service and a multi point. My first service on my new 2019 coach was performed last week on 1-14-19. Was $608 and included a full alignment because I don't think its ever done from the factory and that way I don't end up ruining the new tires... did I mention that was with a full synthetic oil change.

You mentioned 400 hp its got 365... would you even notice?

I don't want a new engine. Even if it came out next year on the 2020 models we all know how first year they have to work out the bugs and with an RV I wouldn't buy the second year either so in reality you would be looking at least 2023 (if they came out next year) before I would feel safe purchasing a new platform. Ive owned a diesel in the past and I not going down that road again. I'll buy F53 again if its available when I change from this coach. Tried and true design with thousands on the road.

Now in the truck market thats a different story. If they make changes I still wouldn't buy the first 2 years. I owned a 5.0 V8 and an V6 ecoboost both in the F150 platform too Just sayin.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #4

Word is new Ford MH chassis announcement in March, most likely the new 7.3L gas engine and 10 speed transmission maybe for 2020 MY. Just rumors though, took a few years for the 6 speed to make it into the F53 after it had been in trucks first.

THe Windsor plant was supposed to be tooled up by Nov. for the new engine where they make the V10 now. Not sure if any new V10 are going to be made much longer.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #5

It might not show up in the F-53 chassis for about a year or 2 after they put it in the truck, however there claim of better mpg is just a claim, real world driving will show the true mpg...………………….

The HP and Torque is just a estimate so far, I have a link below this post that shows the Torque less than the V-10...……..

Brian Maxim, a vice president at AutoForecast Solutions, said in a telephone interview with AutoNews that the “7.0-liter, V8 engine would have more torque and be more fuel efficient than the 6.8-liter V10 engine now built in Windsor and used in Ford’s super-duty trucks, such as its F-250s.”

http://https://speedtwitch.com/repor...dohc-v8-motor/
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #6

So the V-10 will have more torque than the new V-8 7.0 as to the link below, my 3 valve V-10 with the Banks Power Pack system and 5 star tuning puts out just over 400 hp and 500 lbs of torque, I will keep my V-10..

Horsepower of Ford V-10 3 Valve
For the 2011 model year, the Ford V-10 engine features three valves per cylinder, a single overhead camshaft (SOHC) and has a displacement of 6.8 liters. Available in the Super Duty F-450 and F-550 chassis cabs, the gasoline V-10 engine will also find its way into medium-duty chassis cabs during the 2012 model year. Ford's 2011 6.8-liter V-10 engine is rated at 362 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 457 foot-pounds of torque at 3,250 rpm.

2020 Ford 7.0 V-8 powertrain
According to the latest rumors, the 2020 Ford F-350 will ride on a 7.0-liter V8. It means the 6.8-liter Triton V10 is gone. The 7.0-liter comes with an all-new 10-speed gearbox. This powerful engine returns 385 horsepower and 430 lb-ft of torque

http://https://2019besttrucks.com/ford/2020-ford-f-350/

The new V-8 might not be much better than the V-10, if it is it will only be by a little, time will tell and don't buy the 1st or 2nd year of a all new motor and trans, it will have issues just like when the V-10 1st came out..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
S
2020 Ford 7.0 V-8 powertrain
According to the latest rumors, the 2020 Ford F-350 will ride on a 7.0-liter V8. It means the 6.8-liter Triton V10 is gone. The 7.0-liter comes with an all-new 10-speed gearbox. This powerful engine returns 385 horsepower and 430 lb-ft of torque.
Yeah that website seems pretty sketchy, one of those new car robot aggregators I think. It seems to be a mash of other real articles.

385hp and 430lb-ft is the current spec for the 6.2 V8 in the Superduty. a 7.3L gas would easily surpass that I hope, and as far as I know no one knows the ratings for it yet outside of Ford.

There is talk it will be pushrod to keep size down but otherwise very modern (VVT, direct injection). Direct injection could help mpg allowing it to lean out more during cruise but I'm not holding my breath for significant improvement, more power and torque at same mpg would be fine with me.

The new 10 speed could be really nice for engine braking with it being able to find better ratios for maximum engine vacuum.

I figure we will at least get an engine/transmission reveal in march for the superduty, but maybe we will see a new F53 announcement then too.

My bets on a new F53 chassis are new engine, transmission, thicker sway bars, rear track bar and maybe other suspension tweaks, and updated dash cluster/shifter.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
My bets on a new F53 chassis are new engine, transmission, thicker sway bars, rear track bar and maybe other suspension tweaks, and updated dash cluster/shifter.
Yeah, some suspension upgrades would be nice as well. Far too many folks seem to spend too much money and effort getting these to drive better. It seems particularly necessary on the longer wheel base chassis.

Also, with the HP ratings are we comparing apples to apples with the "new"rating method at lower RPM? Defenders of the current platform love to still claim the 362HP. The modern rating is 330. I understand it's the same output just taken at a lower RPM. I have to think the new rating of 385 would be a pretty substantial increase compared to 330.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I have to think the new rating of 385 would be a pretty substantial increase compared to 330.
Since the current 6.2 tune in the Superduty is 385hp I am going to guess 400+ easy for the new 7.3 "Godzilla".

There seems to be a lot of rumors that the Raptor will get a version of the engine too and it currently has the 450hp 510lb-ft high output ecoboost V6. I doubt they would go backwards there, So I would imagine a high output version of the 7.3L above that.

Of course they usually have pretty conservative tunes in the work truck/motorhome chassis for reliability/longevity.

Here are the hardhats the guys at the engine plant are wearing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1909_3028789dea6fc94ed153ad3eb3b234f83ff9cec1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	232554
Old 01-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Word is new Ford MH chassis announcement in March, most likely the new 7.3L gas engine and 10 speed transmission maybe for 2020 MY. Just rumors though, took a few years for the 6 speed to make it into the F53 after it had been in trucks first.

THe Windsor plant was supposed to be tooled up by Nov. for the new engine where they make the V10 now. Not sure if any new V10 are going to be made much longer.
Pretty much exactly what I have heard ! Canadian auto worker union official said almost a year ago, that the new engine was coming to Windsor and it will be a V8. Exact size is still up in the air, but definitely bigger than 7.0L.

I am wondering if they have slowed down the roll out for the new engine to coordinate with the new 10 speed automatic.

Don't forget, this engine/transmission combination will be used in everything from the F350 through the F750. If Ford is serious about staying in the Medium Duty truck business they need these components !

There is also a rumor of some upgrades to the current diesel.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Don't forget, this engine/transmission combination will be used in everything from the F350 through the F750. If Ford is serious about staying in the Medium Duty truck business they need these components !
Seems like 1-2 years ago there was some talk of Chevy/GM getting back into the gas RV/Med Truck market but it got scrapped for some reason. We can (and do) argue the whole gas v diesel thing until the end of time but there is definitely some market share to be had with a new-age, fuel efficient (relative to the large load, of course) offering.

I guess I should be excited to have at least 5-10 more years to work before I jump into a class A. Something tells me I'll have some pretty nice choices.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Seems like 1-2 years ago there was some talk of Chevy/GM getting back into the gas RV/Med Truck market but it got scrapped for some reason. We can (and do) argue the whole gas v diesel thing until the end of time but there is definitely some market share to be had with a new-age, fuel efficient (relative to the large load, of course) offering.

I guess I should be excited to have at least 5-10 more years to work before I jump into a class A. Something tells me I'll have some pretty nice choices.
I'm not quite sure of that. Chevrolet is back in the MED duty truck market with the 450/450/650 trucks available now. Whether or not the Motor HOme MFG's will take one of those chassis and use it for a MH is a different story. Tha is the same with the F53 chassis. Ford offers a diesel version of the same chassis but the Motor Home MFGs won't take it and make a FRED (Front Engine Diesel) out of it. Yes it may add about 15k to the price of MH but the MPG difference would be well worth it, so would the power.
But what do I know, I'm just a consumer that would buy it.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I'm not quite sure of that. Chevrolet is back in the MED duty truck market with the 450/450/650 trucks available now. Whether or not the Motor HOme MFG's will take one of those chassis and use it for a MH is a different story. Tha is the same with the F53 chassis. Ford offers a diesel version of the same chassis but the Motor Home MFGs won't take it and make a FRED (Front Engine Diesel) out of it. Yes it may add about 15k to the price of MH but the MPG difference would be well worth it, so would the power.
But what do I know, I'm just a consumer that would buy it.
Maybe it was that RV manufacturers were going to take the Chevy chassis and didn't. I just remember getting excited about the prospect of some competition and choice but it fell flat.

You are spot on about consumers not getting what we want. I always figure it's that the motor home market is just such a small segment. Of course, to us that are interested, it's huge but I think we are a pretty small voice in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:02 AM   #14

v10

They turbocharge a lot of small engines , it would be real nice if they would turbocharge the v10 from the factory
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, f53