Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When to Replace 24Klb Ford F53 Shocks

Does anyone know when Ford recommends replacing the original shocks on a F53 24,000lb chassis? Mine is a 2013 chassis with 28,600 miles.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
In all my years of working on and teaching about car/truck service I don't ever recall anybody ever mention a recommended time or mileage interval for shock change.

Here's how I'd approach an answer to your question. We have had our RV since August of 2014 (2013- 18,000 lb chassis) and have just over 20,000 miles. I already upgraded my shocks to Koni shocks when it had only 1,000 miles. So you might say that we have 20,000 miles on the Koni shocks. I will probably keep these until we get between 35,000 and 40,000 miles then go for an upgrade or improved shock just because the RV might outlive me. If there is a better shock out there at that time then why not upgrade. I enjoy driving it and want the best ride possible.

You have close to 30,000 miles and unless you see oil leaking or take a shock off to see how easily it compresses there's no way you'd know if they are good or bad. You are at this time putting about 10,000 miles on your RV. That's probably an average amount of miles per year if you are retired.

Since shock technology does change you might consider an upgrade sometime between 30,000 and 40,000 miles.

In most cases the stock shocks are not going to be the best necessarily. They will be a production compromise between quality, ride and cost. That's true with most vehicles when we talk about shocks or tires.

The tires provided are intended to give you the best ride (softer rubber) so that won't be the best as far as miles. That means if you have the money when you buy replacement tires you'll usually get a better tire which will give you a decent ride and more wear miles.

One other factor in this equation. The shocks do help/assist with SWAY and the effect of winds. When a gust of wind (from a semi or just wind) hits the side of your RV the two shocks on the wind side resist extension while the other two resist compression. This shock action directly effects your coaches SWAY and front to back movement.

To upgrade or not is really your choice.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

It's time to replace if your MH is porpoising or rolling a lot.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:09 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
On a car, you can push on the fender and see if it bobbs, Its hard to do this on a MH.

If I was going to guess, I'd say 5-7 years.

I've replaced shocks on two of my MHs in the past few years.

2001 Mirada - I replaced them 2 years ago . They were originals and were completely gone, no compression at all, just a steel rod moving up and down. Other than the CHF, this is the most significant improvement I did in handling

1999 Southwind - I just replaced these a month ago. They were also original with original Bilstiens in the front. They were worn badly, a little compression, but nothing like the new shocks.

I used Monroes on the Mirada, and KBYs on the Southwind.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 AM   #5

Pay attention when driving over a speed bump to check your shocks. If it bumps over and rebounds once, your probably OK.

If it rebounds twice, like mine, we need new shocks.

I have 40,000 miles and 17 years on mine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, f53, ford, replace, shocks