Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Where is the Speed Control Recall Fuse

Hi all - I came here to see if there was a common problem with the E350 speed control on my 1994 Ford chassis. Well, obviously there is based on all the posts I found.

I called Ford and the recall work has been done on my rig. And since my spped control does not work, my first test will be to see of the fuse popped on the devise they spliced in for the recall.

Here's a quick question from a fairly new RV owner - WHERE is this thing located?

Do I need to pull the doghouse to find it or is it under the hood or under the truck? Once I find it I'll probably have more questions but let's start with step one. THANKS!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The quick answer to your question is, its the wiring harness hanging off the master cylinder.
If we are talking about the same recall thingy it was for the pressure switch mounted on the brake master cylinder. Its function is to disengage the cruise control whenever you applied the brakes.The originals were prone to let brake fluid leak into the electrical switch and it ended up causing fires. Here is a page explaining the recall further:
Ford Cruise Control Deactivation Switch Recalls and History | The Center for Autosafety
As I remember reading about this, Ford's original and temporary fix was to install a fuse in the wiring harness leading to the switch. If the switch leaked, it would simply pop the fuse. They ended up redesigning the switch assembly and replaced subsequent recall vehicles with the new switch & harness but no fuse. So you may or may not have a fuse in the harness. If you can determine the part number for your new style switch assembly, they are pretty inexpensive on Amazon.com. That's where I bought the one for my F53 chassis.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #3

Nick B thanks for the reply. Can I find it under the hood or under the dog house?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Under the hood wire tied to it (master cylinder)or real close.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is a 99 V10 and the photos we have found on this forum does not look anything like ours.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just to let folks know. Our 2000 Rexhall Rexair on a Ford F-53 V10 chassis has the speed control deactivation switch located about 18 inches down from the master cylinder, unlike many of the photos found in various threads. Also, we placed a call to Ford recall number and when we gave them our VIN number we were told that all recalls had been satisfied on our rig. WRONG!!!! On our model and many others, there were actually two recalls -- one around 99/2000 and a subsequent recall on the first recall in 2009. The second recall added an additional pigtail to the part that was put on for the FIRST recall. So, we were still driving with a bomb under our hood!!! If you question this "fix" at all, go to a dealer and make sure the recall(s) have been completed.

Many thanks to Subford for all his help in getting this problem solved. Subford -- you the man!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you think this would apply to my 1996 460 fuel injected-F53?---Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
Do you think this would apply to my 1996 460 fuel injected-F53?---Vince
Hi Vince. Sorry for the belated response, but YES.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the reply--Ill check it out---Vince
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hey, thanks--I called the local Ford dealership today regarding this recall--they told me it had not been fixed--gonna do it tomorrow--no questions asked---Vince--one less worry
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vscoggin View Post
Hey, thanks--I called the local Ford dealership today regarding this recall--they told me it had not been fixed--gonna do it tomorrow--no questions asked---Vince--one less worry
Same here. My 1994 had the recall work done but we bought a 1999 in October and the recall was never done. I took mine in this morning and it was fixed in about an hour - no questions asked and no charge. One more thing off the long "to-do" list
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Recall

Had the recall done today for the speed control--took like, 5 minutes--did it in the parking lot of the Ford dealership--signed a paper --drove away --no hassel, no charge---Vince

Tags
fuse, recall