Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #1

Where to find used rim and tire?

We just picked up the Roadmaster Spare Tire carrier and are trying to source a used rim and tire as a spare for our coach. We have the 22.5 235/80 wheels/tires and was wondering if anyone knew where I might be able to find them - I don't want dry rotted tires, just something good enough to limp along until I can source a new one.

We've meet and read too many stories about people who blew a tire and were stuck for days trying to source a new one because roadside assistance didn't have one available or being gouged by them if they did have one. We put a lot of miles on our coach and go to a lot of remote areas so I don't want to be caught without the spare.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

You might give Ebay or Craigslist a try.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:57 AM   #3

Good luck. We looked for the same size wheel and tire for our 2013 Adventurer for several months before finally just getting the tire. We went to several Ford dealers without success. They all had them in the parts catalog for around $500.00 for a steel wheel and $800.00 for an aluminum one. However when we tried to order one it was a different story. There were none to be had in the supply chain.

We finally gave up and just bought a bare tire. You might want to Google RV salvage yards. There are a few in the southwest that may have some by now.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try "Colaw's" RV salvage near Springfield, MO. They have a web sight also.

TeJay
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weretherusso View Post

We just picked up the Roadmaster Spare Tire carrier and are trying to source a used rim and tire as a spare for our coach. We have the 22.5 235/80 wheels/tires and was wondering if anyone knew where I might be able to find them - I don't want dry rotted tires, just something good enough to limp along until I can source a new one.

We've meet and read too many stories about people who blew a tire and were stuck for days trying to source a new one because roadside assistance didn't have one available or being gouged by them if they did have one. We put a lot of miles on our coach and go to a lot of remote areas so I don't want to be caught without the spare.
Are you planning to buy just a generic steel wheel with a mounted tire that will fit on any of the three wheel positions, front, outside dual or inside dual?

Frankly it makes more sense to carry a spare rubber tire of your size and then let the roadside service person remove the bad tire and install the good tire to whatever wheel it happens to be on.

I carry a tire (no wheel) inside my cargo trailer but it is DOT dated back in 2005. It was one that came off when I had new tires installed in May 2010. It will get changed out when I purchase a new set of tires in 2017 and then take one of those older tires to use as a spare.

This rubber spare is used only to allow me to get to a location where a new tire can be purchased to replace the failed one. It is not to be used for continuous use.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I has Rickson wheel manufacturing make me a rim, I got the rim, matching tire, mounting/balanced, and shipped for $20 more than Ford wanted for just the rim that they could not find. Your could also look at truck salvage places (we have american truck salvage here in AZ), they have everything from class 4 - class 8 truck parts including rims and tires. Good luck with the search, oh and when I ordered my wheel/tire combo it took 4-6 weeks to get because they had to make it, but they bent over to help me out and get me the best deal on shipping and the tire.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I needed wider rims I went to a truck wrecking yard. Bought 4 Alcoa 9X22.5 aluminum and 2 9X22.5 steel wheels. Think I paid $150 each for the Alcoa's and $50 for the steel. Did have the have the Alcoa's polished though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've tried a few wreaking yards/truck tire places and come up short. I was able to find a 10 lug steel rim in the right width and able to find an 8 lug rim that was 8.25" wide rather than the 7.5 that is on the motorhome.

I'm assuming the 8.25 wouldnt work, even as something to get me off the road to place to replace the blown tire - or am I wrong and this would work fine?

I did find Accuride and Alcoa rims online for about $300-350 new and shipped. I'd prefer not to spend this and get a steel rim to work, but they are turning out near impossible to find.

Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #9

weretherusso, check for tire/wheel at a big rig tire shop, at a large truck stop. i'm interested in your take on the use of your Roadmaster rack-considering the same for our 2005 Beaver MH. Question if I can drop spare down and/or lift spare up due to combined weight of tire/wheel (120# for aluminum wheel, 115# for tire, total 235#!).
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #10

Thanks everyone, we got really lucky and found a new Ford rim. We just took our coach in for service and when we were hooking up the Jeep to leave, the GM came out to ask about the tire carrier. We told him about it and when we explained the difficulty of getting a tire/rim, he told us he had just what we were looking for. They had ordered this for a customer but it was scratched up during shipping so they had to get a new one. He gave us the wheel for free (has a 255 on it rather than the 235 we need) and just asked that when we swap the tire to return the one that was on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
weretherusso, check for tire/wheel at a big rig tire shop, at a large truck stop. i'm interested in your take on the use of your Roadmaster rack-considering the same for our 2005 Beaver MH. Question if I can drop spare down and/or lift spare up due to combined weight of tire/wheel (120# for aluminum wheel, 115# for tire, total 235#!).
Bill - the carrier is designed to swing down so you can roll the tire over, bolt it on and then swing the tire back to the locking position. They provide a bar to help do this and I had no problems. Will be doing a review/video of it on our site soon.