Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #1

Which Choice - Sumo Springs or Anti-Sway Bar

I want to upgrade the driver handling of my 2015 Fleetwood Storm Class A. I've already installed a Reflex Steering Stabilizer. I am now considering adding either (1) Sumo Springs or (2), Roadmaster anti-sway bar (probably rear, or both front and rear). Given that many here have already improved the handling and drivability of their coach, which of these two alternatives do you believe will provided the greatest benefit to stability and driver handling?

Thank you in ad vance for your responses.

Imatraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First before any aftermarket, ensure tire oressure set by weight. And all stock steering and BBC suspension components are ok.

Steering stabilizer:
Wind situations and tire blowout safety.

CHF:
Inexpensive and easy way to tighten up the sway bar b.c action.

Rear Track Bar:
Resolves the well known F53 problem of the tail wagging the dog.

I've never understood why Ford or the coach builders di not include a rear sway bar on this chassis. It sorely needs one.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I've never understood why Ford or the coach builders di not include a rear sway bar on this chassis. It sorely needs one.
Did you mean track bar? F53's have a rear sway bar from the factory.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #4

I have both the track bar and the Sumo’s. I did the track bar first and I suggest the same every time the question comes up. To date it’s the best money I’ve spent on the suspension.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #5

Sumo springs will assist in stopping spring compression, on the side the MH is leaning towards, in a right to left sway. They will do nothing to prevent the opposite, high side, spring from extending or relaxing.

A more aggressive, thicker or CHF adjusted, anti sway bar will work as a torsion bar between both sides of the axle, both resisting spring compression on the leaning side and extending on the lifting side. Its job is to keep the chassis level with the axle.
It will do that without adding to the original springs resistance to compression during normal up and down movement.

You really need to figure out what your trying to limit or correct before you add enhancements. Solid blocks of steel will stop all movement, in every direction, but sure will be harsh.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Did you mean track bar? F53's have a rear sway bar from the factory.
Yes, sorry. I mistyped. Rear track bar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #7

This is my first RV. I’m mostly interested in enhancing driver comfort. That is, reducing constant steering wheel play and corrections and lean. Keeping coach generally straight without so much wheel adjustment. Have new shock absorbers and front end alignment. Coach just hit 10k miles.
Imatraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #8

Imatraveler-

First off, a belated welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Here are common problems and fixes; some you have already implemented:

Problem: Rolling
Fixes: 1) Cheap Handling Fix (free, link here); 2) Larger-diameter front and rear sway bars

Problem: Tail push when passed by trucks, and/or wind push
Fix: Rear track bar

Problem: Vague steering
Fixes: 1) Alignment; 2) Adequate front axle load (a front-to-rear loading issue); 3) Steering stabilizer

Problem: Undamped bouncing
Fix: New shock absorbers

Problem: Rough ride
Fixes: 1) Set tire pressures to match actual weights on wheels (requires four-corner weigh); 2) Load coach so springs and shock absorbers are active (think empty vs. full dump truck); 3) Different shock absorbers (Note: This does not fix the problem for some coaches, and it's hard to know in advance if it will); 4) Aftermarket suspensions, such as Kelderman and Liquid-Spring.

As you specifically mention "lean," try the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix). Many folks on iRV2 seem happy with the improvement it provides. Performing the CHF involves moving the connections between the frame and the factory-supplied sway bars such that the sway bars better resist movement. If I were to perform the CHF, I'd get the metal plates that iRV2 user "TeJay" sells (at a modest price) to improve the installation. You can contact "TeJay" by private message to ask about them. Instructions are here.

I would think that the CHF and a rear track bar would get you about as far as you can go without spending a lot of money. If the CHF doesn't work for you, I suggest adding front and rear sway bars- Roadmaster makes a nice set, but they aren't cheap.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:32 AM   #9

I added a steering stabilizer and a roadmaster rear sway bar to my 33ft F53 coach. These took care of 90% of the problems with truck push and rolling on turns. Will probably do the CHF on the front in an attempt to gain the next 10% since it is free.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

Steering stabilizer:
Wind situations and tire blowout safety.

CHF:
Inexpensive and easy way to tighten up the sway bar b.c action.

Rear Track Bar:
Resolves the well known F53 problem of the tail wagging the dog.

You already have the stabilizer. Try the last two before anything else. Biggest bang for the buck. Everything else afterward is incremental, and you may decide you don't need them.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #11

Both Sumos and Sway Bars will reduce body roll, the difference is Sway bars will not add spring rate if both tires move together. That is if you hit a bump that goes all the way across the road the sway bar does not resist only your leafs, the Sumos will resist with the leafs acting as helper spring as though you had more leafs installed.

A lot of people swear by Sumos, but the physics don't work for me, they are just a helper springs. If your springs are old or you're overloading them fine, if you want to reduce body roll then adjust your sway bars or get new thicker ones, that's what they are designed to do.

Both Sumos and sway bars will add some harshness as you are adding more spring rate to but sway bars will only add harshness on axle articulation vs all the time with the Sumos.

I did three things to my MH for tracking down the road better: Rear track bar, CHF (sway bar adjustment) and more toe in. All three helped equally in my opinion. Toe and CHF are free if you do it yourself, I would definitely look into this first.

Tags
sway bar