Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

Which Grease?

I have a '16 Bounder on F53 chassis ('15 model year).
Which grease is needed to lube the chassis?
Is it just the front end that needs lubrication?

One another note. I have Power Gear hydraulic jacks that need lithium grease.
If I have one grease gun how do I switch from one grease to another?
I am thinking to buy 2 nozzles. One for chassis grease one for jack grease.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm familiar with chassis lubrication like king pins and tie rods. On those I have been using a synthetic lube. Either Amsoil or Mobil 1. Is it absolutely necessary?? No! but I figure for a few bucks more why not get the best.

Now when you say, "Power Gear Hydraulic Jacks" I really don't know what that is. If you need a lube to grease metal to metal parts like king pins and tie rods you are doing the same thing. Any synthetic grease will lube when it calls for a lithium grease.

I just did some reading on lubricants to see if I could give you some better advice. This is what i learned. If you need a certain kind of lube the synthetics will do the job and do it better. Costs a bit more but so what. If one of the synthetics will work as a lithium lube and a chassis lube your answer is use just one for your gun and grease both with it. What ever the difference will be minimal.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Lithium grease is just find for the chassis too. Get one and use it on everything. Only caviot, the chassis grease nčeds to be rated EP2.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
computerguy, here is a link to the Ford manual for your chassis.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2014.pdf
Page 82 shows the 9 lub points all up front.
Page 117 show the spec's for the grease.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks grtharris. I looked at that manual and the item indicated is a spray type grease. I am looking for the tube grease to grease fittings. Or I 'spose I am missing something

Tejay,
the jacks I am referring too are the automatic levelers. Power Gear is the brand (Lippert).
Here is from the leveler manual
"6. To maintain proper seal lubrication, grease the fitting on the bottom of each jack cylinder with Lithium grease every 20-30 uses"

I like the idea of only having to use one type grease. Just want to buy the right stuff. It's been a year and it's due. Have a 2200 mile trip from FL to IN for warranty work at the Fleetwood service center.

If one tube of synthetic works I will go with that. Mobil 1?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've got the Lippert brand levelers as well. I guess I'd better check the manual to see what's going on. Almost positive that any good synthetic will do the job.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
computerguy, It is at the top of the page , Premium Long-Life Grease
XG-1-E1
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
computerguy, It is at the top of the page , Premium Long-Life Grease
XG-1-E1
Well, I'll be!
You are so right. And to think I made a career out of reading the manual when others didn't want to. RTFM
Guess my eyes went to the first grease word I saw. Or it's actually time to retire. 208 work days is the plan
Thanks grtharris!