Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
I recently installed them on the front of our 97 to provide a smoother ride, which they did. As to any sway/rock and roll improvement, cannot say they helped in those areas. We already had front and rear sway bars w/poly bushings and rear air bags. It is quite possible front air bags will provide you with significant improvement in rock and roll given the fact you do not have a front sway bar. I believe the most improvement however that we had for rock and roll was when we first had the rear air bags installed which was 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

I will say that what works on some rigs, does not necessarily work on others, a lot depends on the load, tires etc. Good luck.
David, you are absolutely correct. My rig drives pretty well as is, but my alignment tech commented that the ride height was a little low due to (what we both think is) slightly weak front springs and he thought that would cancel any benefit to increased caster adjustment.

I'm putting in the front air bags just to help the front springs, but was curious about what I might expect for improved handling, if any.

I do have a front sway bar. It's the original, but with new bushings. I do NOT have anything like the Davis TruTrac

I have a tag axle and tow a Dingy which helps eliminate most tail wag and some rear sway, I'm sure a new rear anti-sway bar and possibly air bags would help as well. Thanks for the reply.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkunk1 View Post
Which wrong side of the bed did you get up on?
Sorry for my constructive support. I would not spend $$ on air bags to solve your rock & roll.
Pkunk1, get back on your meds.

I'm not trying to solve a sway problem, I'm installing them for extra spring support. I simply asked if the air bags would affect sway. That only required a yes or no answer. .
Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
i have installed many front airbags on F53 chassis. Every one of my customers said the ride was smoother. Not one that I can remember ever said it helped with with sway. your answer(in my experience) is no.
I appreciate your answer, thanks.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Will adding the Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags to the front end help the rock and roll of a '97 F53, or not?
Quote:
I'm not trying to solve a sway problem, I'm installing them for extra spring support. I simply asked if the air bags would affect sway. That only required a yes or no answer. .
I'm so sorry, you seem to have confused me......somehow.
I think the correct answer cannot be answered with a yes or no. You could need some spring work.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm so sorry, you seem to have confused me......somehow.
I think the correct answer cannot be answered with a yes or no. You could need some spring work.
My apologies. I did, indeed, indicate that I had a sway (R&R) problem when none actually exists. I was trying to avoid discussions of alternative fixes and wound up sounding smart mouthed. I do apologize.

What I really have is a nasty dip at the end of my drive that makes the coach lurch left and right as I turn into the street. Since the front end is the first to make that transition, I was curious to know if the bags added any stiffness to prevent the body sway.

The comment about weak springs came about when I queried the tech about setting the caster a bit on the high side (as I hear that makes for better feel and control). His answer was that, while both the caster and the ride height were within spec, he would only increase the caster if the height were higher (instead of on the low side of spec).

I didn't, and still don't, know enough to question his logic.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My apologies. I did, indeed, indicate that I had a sway (R&R) problem when none actually exists. I was trying to avoid discussions of alternative fixes and wound up sounding smart mouthed. I do apologize.

What I really have is a nasty dip at the end of my drive that makes the coach lurch left and right as I turn into the street. Since the front end is the first to make that transition, I was curious to know if the bags added any stiffness to prevent the body sway.

The comment about weak springs came about when I queried the tech about setting the caster a bit on the high side (as I hear that makes for better feel and control). His answer was that, while both the caster and the ride height were within spec, he would only increase the caster if the height were higher (instead of on the low side of spec).

I didn't, and still don't, know enough to question his logic.
Accepted....The best way(idealy) to remedy your problem is to start with a spring rebuild. Proper ride height begins there. You don't mention shocks, but worn out shocks will not help the rock & roll either. Air bags are a cheap fix and properly inflated can help with the weak suspension. Have you weighed your axles to see where you stand?
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Accepted....The best way(idealy) to remedy your problem is to start with a spring rebuild. Proper ride height begins there. You don't mention shocks, but worn out shocks will not help the rock & roll either. Air bags are a cheap fix and properly inflated can help with the weak suspension. Have you weighed your axles to see where you stand?
I'm putting on the new Munroe Gas Magnum shocks tomorrow.
I've been using the rig for short trips, so loading has not been a problem, practically empty.
The rig looks level (front-to-back) and (side-to-side) so I don't think the springs are really that weak.
I think I'll go ahead with the air bags and then see where I stand.

I'll report the results (good or bad) when I return from my next trip (NC-IL-NY-NC) should be a good test.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have never understood why people say a spring rebuild is better than airbags. I have never worked on a high dollar motorhome that didn't have air suspension. Air rides much smoother than steel. The airbags on the front are usually only filled to about 25psi. the max is 100 psi. At 25psi the front comes up about 3 inches. This gives you a lot of room to play with.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Pkunk1, get back on your meds.

Installed ride-rites and just returned from a 3800 mile trip.

IMO: No, air bags do not help much on sway. Need a trac bar or additional sway bar to correct sway. Air bags help on ride height and dampening (smoothing) of the ride on roads with large expansion joints etc. Recommend air bags, but the chassis needs additional help to correct swaying. I have a 2000 F-53 chassis and will do the 'cheap handling fix" next. Thought about adding a trac bar, but they are fairly expensive.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote