Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Winnebago Vista check valve for H20 heater

I'm 3 weeks into a summer long trip and my hot water does not flow. Tried variations of city water, pump etc.
Call water heater mfg and Winnebago. Consensus is it is a stuck check valve. I have been able to access check valves on previously own RV's, but can't find access to this one. Has anyone replaced this? Do I need to pull out the water heater? I can not find access under or around from inside or out on the RV.
Bfiliowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #2

Assuming your winterize bypass valve is in the right position, I would follow it back to the hot water outlet (top port) of the WH. That's where my check valve was. It looked just like an ordinary fitting, hiding in plain sight.
#coldshower

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

Check this link: The RV Doctor: RV Water Heater Check Valve - What For?

Sounds like it could be the at the water feed into the water heater.

Does the water flow, just not hot? I had this problem. Turned out to be open cold and hot water valves on the outdoor shower with the shower head shutoff valve engaged. Seems the hot and cold waters will mix making it harder for the water heater to heat the water.

Or are you not getting hot water flow at all?

Let me know if you can not find the check valve. I will go out and check mine and see if I can find it.

I am hoping you have figured it out. Feel free to message me.

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have the 2016 30-T and we have a2014 Vista 30-T. Depending on your layout I can access the top of the water tank by removing the narrow drawer to the right of the kitchen sink.

That's also my access to the bypass valve. To gain better access the 1/4" panel to the right and below the sink I'm sure can also be removed.

I can send some pics if you need them.

TeJay
Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Bfiliowich, what is the year of the your coach? I got 31 ft Vista from your profile.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
His coach is listed on post #4 above. He has the same coach as we do. I got it from another post of his on another thread. It's a WBGO Vista 2016 30-T which is 30' 11" or 31'. I just don't know which floor plan they have and he's not responded.

TeJay
Old 05-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfiliowich View Post
I'm 3 weeks into a summer long trip and my hot water does not flow. Tried variations of city water, pump etc.
Call water heater mfg and Winnebago. Consensus is it is a stuck check valve. I have been able to access check valves on previously own RV's, but can't find access to this one. Has anyone replaced this? Do I need to pull out the water heater? I can not find access under or around from inside or out on the RV.
There should be access to the back of the hot water heater as there is a 90 degree turn winterization valve on the water line going to the lower side of the hot water heater (cold side). If you can turn this 90 degrees and get good flow out of your hot water faucets but turn it back to normal and don't get good hot water flow then yes, its likely a stuck check valve.

The check valve is brass and threaded into the upper side of the hot water heater (hot side). It will have a plastic 90 with hot water PVC line attached threaded on to it. Once you get it out you may just be able to soak it in vinegar and de-gunk it and just reuse it. You will need some teflon tape to re-install to prevent leaks.

I can't tell exactly which model and year you have but on my Vista you get access to the back of the HWH and the associated winterization valves from removing a metal panel in the rear basement storage bay that is directly above the HWH. There will be access somehow.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

Check valve

My coach is a 2016 Winnebago Vista LX. 30'11".
I have been on the road for several weeks with the cold and hot both working. I have not changed any valves and the the cold fliows well with city water or on the pump. My hot stopped flowing. Heater is full and I get flow when I pull the toggle on the relief valve.
I'm guessing it is a faulty check valve. I have had that problem on a previous couch and it was easy to find and replace. I have looked under the coach and have looked all over inside the coach and cannot see a way to get at it other then pulling the heater from outside.
😊 when trouble shooting in the past on other issues on other coaches I have missed the obvious and have dug in much deeper then needed. I am hoping I'm missing a simple way to get access and someone out there found a simpler way.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Eureka!!

I have looked poked and prodded everywhere but there!
Just looked and you info was spot on and seems so obvious now.
Thank you.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:44 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bfilowich,

Your floor plan would also have be a help in locating the HWT.

And you found it WHERE??

TeJay
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #11

The floor plan and a call to Winnebago was no help. Someone responded to my request for ideas on it location via ivr2.
It was right where he said it would be behind a kitchen drawer that doesn't even look like a drawer.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bfilowich,

Post #4 above has my message to look behind the drawer next to the sink. You must have the same floor plan we have with the rear bedroom and table with two chairs.

I have to reach my by pass valve for when we winterize the coach and i have to take the drawer out to get to it.

Can't believe WBGO couldn't tell you.

TeJay
Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Bfilowich,

Post #4 above has my message to look behind the drawer next to the sink. You must have the same floor plan we have with the rear bedroom and table with two chairs.

I have to reach my by pass valve for when we winterize the coach and i have to take the drawer out to get to it.

Can't believe WBGO couldn't tell you.

TeJay
The guy at Winny did send me a detailed drawing of the water heater and much technical data, he just couldn't tell me where the access was. I appreciated you info as I was stumped. After pulling the drawer it was so obvious.
Isn't that often how these thing work.

Tags
heat, heater, winnebago