Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #1

Wipers Died in Rain Storm... Ideas?

Hi Folks:

On my maiden voyage from Houston to Tucson, it rained on and off from Houston to Fort Stockton. I noticed that the wipers were very sensitive and that if the rain slowed at all the wipers were "grabby" on the windshield. I used the intermittent wipers and turned them on/off per usual. However, part way up the road the wipers stopped at about full extension from parked. I had no choice but to drive carefully to the next exit despite the rain. I checked the fuse (30 amp) and it was fine. The wiper motor was really hot and when I pushed on the blades manually they went to park despite the switch being turned to the off position. I assume the motor was trying to return the blades the entire time.

I am really perplexed by this issue. I search this and other forums and all I found was references to grounding issues and to use dielectric and silcon sealent on the motor plug. I pulled the plug apart and it seemed very clean and very dry.

Any ideas what could have caused this? I am worried to take it back on the road again until remedied.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads that may assist while waiting for someone to respond here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ford...earch=irv2.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I had the exact same problem as you, although I am on a different chassis. According to Freightliner and Winnebago, the wipers belong to Winnebago. I would assume yours are the same.

If you can see under the cowling, look at the linkages connecting the wiper arm to the wiper motor. Check the wiper transmission (the thingy that the wiper arm is mounted to). If the lever on the back of the transmission is parallel with the wiper linkage, it's probably jammed. It's like when a bicycle pedal if perfectly vertical. If you step on it from above, it can't decide to go forward or backward.

I had the problem because Winnebago used the wrong length wiper linkages. The fix was to replace them with adjustable ones so that the transmission levers never approached parallel. Once they were adjusted properly, I remounted the wiper arms properly.

On my coach, it was a design defect that the previous owner never fixed. I hope I'm wrong with yours.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

I Rain-X my windows, don't use my wipers all that much and with the positioning of the front windows the wind just drive the rain to the sides.......Great product
Old 12-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Doc.

If it turns out that your wiper motor need to be replaced, these folks can probably help you out.
Windshield Wiper Blades and Systems | DC Electric Motors | Wiper Motor Assembly | AM Equipment
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #6

Thanks folks. I took the rig in yesterday to a local shop. They will look at it on Thursday/Friday of this week.

I really appreciate the information from mrschwarz, this makes sense to me as the potential issue. The wipers seemed to stick only in certain position - I believe fully extended (as compared to park).

Will post back when the experts have diagnosed it. I did send them a note to let them know about the potential defect in the arm length.

Thanks again
Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Glad my misfortune helped someone else.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #8

Will post up my results to help others if possible. Cheers
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #9

Got a call from repair shop today. They say that it is the motor. They told me that when motor disconnected the blades move freely and that when the wipers are turned on the motor gets too hot. I guess I will go for a new motor and hope for the best.

Thanks all
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #10

enjoying your threads

I have the identical rig as you. I have had similar issues with the wipers. I was wondering how they work now? Can you give any descriptors on the motor type? Thanks
Luanddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanddavid View Post
I have the identical rig as you. I have had similar issues with the wipers. I was wondering how they work now? Can you give any descriptors on the motor type? Thanks
Hi,indeed I did get a new motor and installed myself. Very easy to do. I ended up getting the factor identical replacement, which is a Wexco D101. I tried the folks linked above and they do seem to have lower prices, but they asked me so many questions and wanted me to measure shaft diameters and such. I decided it was worth an extra $40 or so to just get the Wexco replacement and be done with it. I have not yet driven the rig in the rain, but turning them on dry, the definitely seem to have full power. The old motor looked like oil or grease may have leaked out of the drive unit, who knows.

Good luck.