Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Wix oil filter leaking after 1,100 miles.

Went to start our motor home, 2003 twenty nine foot R-Vision B-plus with a
Triton v-10 engine, and the oil filter began to leak oil. This filter had been on
the engine for 1,100 mile without any problems. Has any one had this same
problem with the Wix oil filter made for this engine? I have always used the
Wix filter # 51372 without any problems in the past.
chacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it was leaking just around the base and the gasket I'd snug it up a little more. My MH filter had a minor seep after the oil was changed and I just tightened it up a little more. I could still tighten it just using my hand. Obviously you are keeping an eye on it; I suppose if it continues I'd replace it. Wix is a good oil filter.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had a problem a few years ago with my GM 8.1L.

The only time I changed the oil myself. Used a WIX filter. Opened the box, took out the WIX filter and screwed it on to the engine block. On our next trip I pulled out and noticed, in the rearview monitor, what looked like a dripping oil streak on the road behind me. Got out and saw the filter was dripping. Drove about a 1/4 miles to a large diesel repair shop. They pulled the WIX filter and told me there was no gasket installed.

I thought the gasket was permanently affixed to the filter. I took the filter out of the box and the gasket must have remained in the box. I always put the old filter in the box for disposal. So my new gasket went to the trash. When I installed the new filter I even used my finger to wipe some oil on the filter gasket area. I never noticed that there was no gasket there.

You leak may be from no gasket installed.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
If tightening does not work and you are sure you have the right oil filter installed, another possibility is you may have two oil filter gaskets in place. Sometimes the old gasket sticks to the motor side and comes out of the old filter. Install new filter without catching this and you have two gaskets and a guaranteed leak problem.

Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Wix is among the best filters out there however even the best will have an occasionally misplaced gasket or one that got knocked off. Take care of it while it is still an issue that will cost less than the price of most pizza's to correct. I would have no problem with getting another Wix.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #6

Wix oil filter leaking after only 1,100 miles since installed.

I replaced the Wix oil filter with a Motorcraft (Ford) filter and that seems to
have solved the problem. I have started the engine two separate times since
installing the Motorcraft filter and no oil leak. Hopefully we are good to go again. Thanks for all the replies.
chacho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak