RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #1

01 Monaco Dynasty Valve cover Bolts

We recently noticed two or three loose valve cover bolts on our 370 ISL Cummins. Upon closer inspection it looks like the threads are broken off in the head, and the remaining part of the bolt is just hovering in the valve cover. I intended to pull the cover, extract the threaded portion, and install new bolts (apparently the news ones are a stronger design). After the shock of 38 dollars for each bolt wore off, I dove in to the process only to realize that the cover has a beam across it that doesn't seem to allow you to remove the cover at all? Can this be? Any tips or tricks?

Afteryou362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afteryou362 View Post
We recently noticed two or three valve cover bolts on our 370 ISL Cummins. Upon closer inspection it looks like the threads are broken off in the head, and the remaining part of the bolt is just hovering in the valve cover. I intended to pull the cover, extract the threaded portion, and install new bolts (apparently the news ones are a stronger design). After the shock of 38 dollars for each bolt wore off, I dove in to the process only to realize that the cover has a beam across it that doesn't seem to allow you to remove the cover at all? Can this be? Any tips or tricks?
$38 bucks each?!?! Unless they have a special shoulder and or head, I think I would go to a Fasteners store and get some nice grade 8 bolts. Good luck with your repair!

99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #3

What is this "beam" your referring to? Possibly a fuel rail?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #4

Regular bolts will not fit it is a special design to make you buy from Cummins. I paid 27 ea for the I needed . Cover off the broken ends came out with fingers in
Reka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #5

The beam looks to be part of the framing/support for the front side of the closet. It's the area between the two hatches, and it sits less than half an inch above the valve cover in the front 6 inches.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
$38 bucks each?!?! Unless they have a special shoulder and or head, I think I would go to a Fasteners store and get some nice grade 8 bolts. Good luck with your repair!
I had the same thought... and they do have a special shoulder unfortunately. They are very proud of these bolts apparently.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Does the cross beam unbolt on the ends?
Is the valve cover leaking?

You can try using a small chisel to get the old bolts out without removing the cover. The chisel width should match the bolt diameter.
First use the small chisel straight on to make a small screwdriver type groove in the remaining bolt. Then tap at an angle to start it turning out.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #8

I've peeled back the heat barrier and it does not seem to have a place to unbolt. It's several inches wide and my concern is that wires are running through it. The valve cover is not leaking at the moment, thankfully. For now I've got 2 of the 5 bolts threading, one on each end. I tried to twist out the broken bolt ends with a screwdriver, with no luck. A chisel might get a better grip if I can find one long enough. At this point I'm just sitting back and doing as much research as I can before I make decision. I did put the broken bolts back in, thinking that if the broken end started to wind it's way out, the weight of the bolt might stop it from coming out.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #9

I've seen them here at work use an engraver back a broken off bolt out. Haven't tried it at home yet.

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, monaco, monaco dynasty, valve