Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
03 Cayman Front Caliper Pin Service

Have removed front calipers to replace rotors. Upon checking the pins, the top pins on each side move freely. The bottom however are stiff. They have pink plastic inserts on them. All are greased. What is the proper procedure and grease to service these pins? All four calipers were replaced by servicing/selling dealer after they heated up. Replacing front rotors due to uneven stopping. I did do a search but did not find what I was looking for. Thanks for the reply in advance. Jake
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

I'm sure you already know this but uneven stopping, I think you mean puling left or right when braking is caused by sticking pistons first, and sticking calipers second. I'm willing to live with a little rattle if my calipers float freely. As for the pistons, you should be able to press them in pretty easily. If one side is harder to push then the other open the bleeder screw. If the piston moves easier, replace the flex line because it's pinched or collapsed inside.
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No problem with pistons, its the pins the caliper floats on that I am inquiring about. Breaking was fine except for the feel of high spots if you will. Jake
Old 12-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #4

Ahhhhh! That thump thump thump feeling in the brake pedal. Happy new rotors! If you don't already, use of a torque wrench when tightening the lug nut helps keep the rotors from warping due to uneven tension.

The last set of tires I had mounted I watched the front tires being torqued to spec. I got distracted waiting for the rears and the tech came up to me and said "you don't have to worry about those coming loose!" I've been doing business with the same tire shop for "awhile" so the tech was told to go and hammer the nuts loose and I torqued them myself.

So are you still worried about your slider pins?
Old 12-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I spoke with Alliant Coach today, they said the bottom pin does not move as freely as the top. They did give me instrictions on how to clean the pin bore. The bottom pin has 3 plastic sliders built into it. Have to find 3/4 drive torque wrench. Rotor bolts torque to 350 lbs! Ouch, wheel lug nuts to 450. Got some straining to do. Wow.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2Jake View Post
Rotor bolts torque to 350 lbs! Ouch, wheel lug nuts to 450. Got some straining to do. Wow.
Are those numbers in foot pounds or newton meters? The 5 (front) and 10 (rear) 9/16" studs on my antique Rockwood are only about 160 ft/lb torque.

You'll be happy with a 3/4" drive breaker bar, extensions, socket and torque wrench. They're much easier to use than a 1/2" drive set that turns the wrench and extension into a giant spring.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #7

Jake, do know if you have the newer style calipers? There was a recall on our coaches for the calipers around 2005, if I remember right, for dragging/sticking and overheating. I was having continuous problems with the brakes dragging and overheating burning up ABS sensor until I replaced the old style calipers. Now I flush the brake system every two years and haven't had any further problems with the brakes.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newer calipers, torque spec for hat bolts from truck shop, lug nuts from owners manual.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Sounds like you've got it all under control now. Just don't forget to re-check the torque on the rotor hardware after you've driven a couple of hundred miles.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service