Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
'04 era RR8 drag link

Have an '04 era RR8 chassis that am told needs a drag link... Anyone happen to have a part number then a location to find one? Monaco is out of their mind at $1700... Can't be of much more help as MH is 50 miles away at maint. facility... There was no apparent front end problems - tracked straight as an arrow - no play and SteerSafe is installed. Maint. was for other reasons. Should I suspect that maint. person has a car payment due?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would take the time to go an inspect and find out why they are recommending replacement.

Were you having any problems with steering >>> vibration, shimmy. How tight was steering in general, any loose play???? Was there any tire wear???

Hopefully someone can provide an alternate source???
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hal, the drag link has two replaceable tie rod ends. Why would the want to change the whole thing?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

Drag link with "non-replaceable" ends

If your drag link is like I think, it has one "regular" tie rod end which could be easily (and cheaply) replaced. But it is a "bent" drag link with a bend that accommodates additional wheel cut without the tire hitting it. One end has a tie rod end that is "staked" in place and is considered "non replaceable". That "fixed" end keeps the bend in the drag link oriented inward for tire clearance. Any competent machine shop should be able to cut through the staked areas to release the tie rod end, which is probably a readily available rod end. You will have to devise your own method for semi-permanently replacing the rod end so it will not rotate.

In the event that you do indeed replace the drag link assembly, I would like to get your old one. I'd like to try myself what I've proposed that you try.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the info guys... Will have it back here in it's barn @ Monday and should be able to tell what's up..
Old 11-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sorry Van, just as Harry says - it has 2 replaceable "ends" which when I find out who mfg. the unit should be available at most any truck parts place. With an "oversized" fork tool, anyone should be able to change them.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Sorry Van, just as Harry says - it has 2 replaceable "ends" which when I find out who mfg. the unit should be available at most any truck parts place. With an "oversized" fork tool, anyone should be able to change them.
Hal, does your drag link have a bend in it? If it does, all the ones I've seen or read about have two normal-looking rod ends. Both rod ends are threaded into the drag link. But one end has a series of "dimples" that deform the threads of the drag link so that the rod end cannot rotate, and it holds the bend in the correct orientation so that it provides additional wheel cut.

I have always thought that it would be possible to hold that drag link's bend in position by mechanical means without the staking that made removing that rod end so difficult. Perhaps there were finally some drag links made that way. Please let us know how this turns out.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Hal, does your drag link have a bend in it? If it does, all the ones I've seen or read about have two normal-looking rod ends. Both rod ends are threaded into the drag link. But one end has a series of "dimples" that deform the threads of the drag link so that the rod end cannot rotate, and it holds the bend in the correct orientation so that it provides additional wheel cut.

I have always thought that it would be possible to hold that drag link's bend in position by mechanical means without the staking that made removing that rod end so difficult. Perhaps there were finally some drag links made that way. Please let us know how this turns out.

Van,

Once the assembly was correctly indexed, could it be drilled and a heavy roll pin driven in?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

Maybe it could be locked with a nut?
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Van,

Once the assembly was correctly indexed, could it be drilled and a heavy roll pin driven in?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I think there are a number of ways to lock it other than staking. Yours is certainly a possibility.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The drag link should already have a clamp on it to prevent it from turning.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
The drag link should already have a clamp on it to prevent it from turning.
My sentiments exactly. I still don't understand why one end was made "non-replaceable".
Old 12-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the drag link on our 04 SIG. It had one adjustable end and one end swaged in position. Naturally, the fixed end is always the one that fails. I bought a new one from NW RVSupply for $700.

In hindsight, I should have looked for a good machine shop to replace the one end. I'm sure it could have been done for less than $400.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
My sentiments exactly. I still don't understand why one end was made "non-replaceable".
The drag link is bent to clear the wheel when making a hard turn. The swivel of the ball joints would let it rub the side of the tire if it wasn't held in the correct orientation.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote