Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

2007 HR Vacationer DP suspension

Looking for info on either Airlift or RideRite air bags for front only. Has anyone put these on? Did the bags make any difference?
I'm having trouble figuring out what fits on a Roadmaster RSR chassis with leaf springs.
I have already installed Roadmaster anti sway bars, front and rear, Bilstien shocks, Sumo Springs, and Steersafe. Everything has incrementally helped, but I'm wanting to try the bags in front to see if that would bring it where I want it.
The issue is that we are downsizing from a 40' American Eagle, and I've become accustomed to air ride suspension. I know I can never match the ride, but the short wheelbase is worth it to me for where we go boondocking.
Has anyone here installed air bags on this chassis?
Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #2

No but I found that new tires improved the ride.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have made the same improvements to my chassis and have thought about the airbags. I have decided that they are probably not worth the effort since IMHO all they would do is increase the way the front springs handle the load but will likely not improve the ride. After eight years of ownership I have come to the conclusion that my Vacationer is about as good as its going to get, which is a heck of a lot better than the way it was when it was new. Please remember that our chassis are a mixed bag of parts and that most of the components come from the old Workhorse gas chassis parts bins. Monaco then stuck the engine in the back and produced a low end entry level chassis.

You might want to locate a similar aged rig with a Workhorse chassis sitting at a dealership, crawl under it and take some measurements and photos and compare it to your RSR. If the measurements and front suspension layout is close, try ordering bags for the Workhorse as a starting point. I am interested to see what you come up with along with the results.

Bruce LaHargoue
'06 HR Vacationer 34PDD/Cummins ISB
Arnold, CA
Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #4

I was looking at one of these units to purchase It's a HR Vacationer 2008 the owners have only owned it a year, So I'm am a little suspicious of their motive for selling. Are they bad rides and hard to drive? I would like a unit I could drive 6 or 8000 miles a year.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
I was looking at one of these units to purchase It's a HR Vacationer 2008 the owners have only owned it a year, So I'm am a little suspicious of their motive for selling. Are they bad rides and hard to drive? I would like a unit I could drive 6 or 8000 miles a year.
Thats hard to answer. Other then on windy days I like the ride of our 08 vacationer. It is a 37 ft coach and I wonder how different a 34 ft vacationer would compare.
Being a spring chassis you will feel the road the same as a gas coach .
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

VALLAND...Maybe just go on a good long test drive. (on Interstate with the big trucks) Then....Make your own decision. Some people buy these buses and just don't like it, for wharever reason and sell out. Might be a great deal. BUT... I would make my decision! Thats my 4cents worth. MOMCAT
Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

roadmaster chassis

Bruce Blahargoue....I have the 2006 hr vacationer like you. Can you help me find a Rear trac bar for tha rsr toadmaster chassis? I have mine doing alot better, and I would really like to try that. Noticed the comparison you gave to the workhorse. Do you think that might work? Thanks for your help....Momcat
Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I hope I can help you out. I'm currently at my mountain house and will be returning to my rig tomorrow. I think I have the part info in the rig and will get back to you in the next couple of days.

Bruce
Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #9

I don't think a rear trac bar would help. A sway bar basically takes care of the same thing, although I am by no means an engineer.
I gave up on the front air bags, the ones that would fit a Workhoarse chassis are a discontinued item from Airlift, and Firestone, so they probably caused more damage and failure than anyone would let on.
With all the mods I did, and continue to do, the one thing that made a big difference is tire air pressure. ( and good tires)
It's talked about a lot on all pages and blogs. I just thought it was an obvious thing, and never really thought about it, or paid much attention.
I got a good tire pressure gauge, instead of a $2 piece of crap, and Lo and behold, my pressure was low, and all tires were different pressure.
I now run my tires at 100 lbs cold, and I put on a reliable tpms system. My coach now rides the way it should, and my mileage increased surprisingly.
I'm happy with 5 to 6 mpg, but my last few trips I'm averaging consistently over 10 mpg.
I'm always overloaded, which is why I've been trying to compensate with the suspension.
We travel with 6 GSD's that are over 110 pounds each, plus a couple hundred pounds of dog food, plus towing a jeep, plus we dry camp so we load up with lots of stuff and extra water.
Im happy with the coach now, and what was supposed to be a temporary transition from our 40' bus is now what my wife wants to keep.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #10

I've been watching this thread for my brother-in-law who has complained about the same things as you did. Glad you got it sorted out, and I'll tell him about air pressure.

6 Shepherds! OMG, we have one in a 40' Camelot and she seems to take up the entire coach!! {Wouldn't have it any other way, tho}
Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #11

K 9 Coach...My mileage and air pressure is fine. I just want to "tie" the rear end to the chassis so it will move in the same direction. Might save bushings etc. My opinion: when back goes to right front goes left.Maybe help, maybe not. Momcat
Old 04-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the delay. My receipt from Henderson's Lineup in Grants Pass, OR shows the Roadmaster rear Sway Bar kit as being part number 1259-108.

I hope this helps. I had it installed in 2010.

Bruce
Old 04-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Roadmaster trac bar

Bruce..Thank YOU very much. I am going to look this up right away. I will let youknow how it turns out. Thanks again! Tom,,,,,,Momcat
Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #14

Bruce..I looked up tne # you so kindly shared wiyh me and it is actually a rear sway bar. I was looking for a trac bar (panhard bar).Do you think I am looking for the wrong thing? I am wanting the rear diff. to move with the chassis down low. Thanks again for your help. Momcat

Tags
cat, suspension