Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
60 MM Bilstien shocks from source engineering

Has any one installed source engineerings custom built 60 MM Bilstien shocks on a Monaco RR10S chassis. I have the original Monroe shocks and need to replace them.
RVDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like nobody wants to answer any questions about shocks.
I asked yesterday also about shocks, both had 60+views no replays.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/bilst...ml#post4887198

C&SL
05 Sig
Old 07-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Looks like nobody wants to answer any questions about shocks.
I asked yesterday also about shocks, both had 60+views no replays.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/bilst...ml#post4887198

C&SL
05 Sig
I replaced the shocks with the Source Bilstein shocks that came with the ride enhancement kit from Source Engineering. The original shocks were Monroe and pretty much shot at 15,000 miles. I did put a set of regular Bilstein shocks on for about a year before the rek. The regular Bilstein helped tremendously with porpoising but were slightly rougher. The Source Bilstein were IMO better in that they were not as rough as the regular Bilstein. However, the rek included new air bags and a ping tank and bigger air lines so that probably made a bigger difference than the shocks.

My info is not on the 10 bag chassis but will at least give you an idea on the Source shocks.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bilstine shocks

Thanks for the help. I will start with new shocks and go from there. If I decide to go with the ping tank I think I will take a trip from Titusville Florida to Oregon.
Thanks and God Bless
Wayne
RVDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDUKE View Post
Thanks for the help. I will start with new shocks and go from there. If I decide to go with the ping tank I think I will take a trip from Titusville Florida to Oregon.
Thanks and God Bless
Wayne
Not sure I helped any, but you're welcome. I have read where most everyone that has changed then did like the outcome. I hope it works out well for you. Safe travels and good bless as well.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the rear shocks on our coach (RR10S chassis) with Bilstein Comfort Valve shocks part number 24-187312. I purchased these from Amazon for $80.20 each.
Post # 26 explains how to change rear shocks:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/broke...-373734-2.html

I have not replaced the front shocks yet. I've heard good things about the Source Engineering shocks. I've also read rave reviews about the Koni shocks. The Newmar folks are saying they make a huge difference in ride quality on the front axle. The Koni's are double the price of Bilstein's.

Found this thread on Roadmaster Chassis shocks. It has details on the difference in the Bilstein and Koni design. There is also a quote from Diplomat Don (now Dutchstar Don) on the difference in Bilstein and Koni shocks. Don said the Koni FSD shocks reduced about 90% of the jarring on bumps. You should also read the second to last post by Steve S. He says the ride improvement after switching to Koni FSD shocks is "absolutely incredible".
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
P38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDUKE View Post
Has any one installed source engineerings custom built 60 MM Bilstien shocks on a Monaco RR10S chassis. I have the original Monroe shocks and need to replace them.
I have replaced my Monroe's to the 60 MM on a RR8S. Awesome shocks. Four up front and four 40 MM In the rear. Nice ride and I hope to get the ride enhancement kit also. Pricy but I believe worth it.
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I'm about to change shocks in the front of my ten bag S Series chassis. The original Bilsteins seem to be good but the bushings are not. When swapping tires around a few days ago there was a good sized gap in the bushings with the tires off the ground. Probably not worth the effort of just changing bushings on a 12 year old shock, we'll see. I'll probably go with the Koni FSD.

Rear air bags are looking ratty so I guess that will be the next project before one blows while travelling and perhaps rear shocks. Also height control solenoid "O" rings which are leaking profusely.

I'm wondering what the ratio of maintenance hours vs. use hours works out to?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just found this post from 2010, post #1 along with the entire thread has some great information on the Monaco installed Bilstein shocks.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mona...ion-87162.html
Old 08-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the link. That is a long but informative thread.
One of the upper shock bushings on our coach deteriorated and fell out. Then the shock pounded the upper mounting stud until it sheared.
The new Bilsteins have a steel liner inside the large rubber bushing.

I installed new Bilsteins on the rear, but am strongly leaning towards Koni for the front.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #11

I put the Koni's last year all the way around! Wow, what difference.
Gregs4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs2007Dip View Post
What did they replace?
Old 09-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #13

Bilstiens!
Gregs4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs2007Dip View Post

Just did my original shocks conversion to Koni's on my Beaver before a 2week trip and the difference is incredible! Smoother, quieter and more stable.. no porpoising and amazing overall. Only regret is not doing it a couple years ago!
Wdowell4029 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, shocks