RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #1

Bilstein shocks

Ordered new Bilstein shocks from SDTRUCKSPRINGS.com for my 2002 HR Neptune diesel pusher. Had to wait for them as they were back ordered. Put fronts on and its a whole new Motorhome.
Had Monroes with 50,000 miles on them but fronts were really dead.
Best $400 I ever spent.

parkrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We installed 8 on our RR8S chassis a few years back and they did make a big difference since we also had to re-weld a couple of broken rear shock mounts.

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #3

Bilstein shocks

I put a set of 4 on my super C a couple of years ago. What a improvement! Like a different motorhome. They took care of a lot of sway and semi trucks no longer made the rig swerve when it passed. This was with just four shocks.

I have a new (to me) holiday rambler endeavor 40. I'm saving up to replace the eight shocks. I'm hoping that there will be a twice as good improvement with eight vs four upgrade! This coach with the eight airbag suspension ought to ride like on a cloud.

Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkrog View Post
Ordered new Bilstein shocks from SDTRUCKSPRINGS.com for my 2002 HR Neptune diesel pusher. Had to wait for them as they were back ordered. Put fronts on and its a whole new Motorhome.
Had Monroes with 50,000 miles on them but fronts were really dead.
Best $400 I ever spent.
parkrog
How did you know your shocks were bad? I have 05 safari with 53,000 on it, I think the shocks are bad, but no leaks, or rubbing on the shocks. I have read where some say the Bilstein didn't help..
LickingTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Blistering Shocks

My HR is 31 ft with 40k on it. Shocks were shot. Since yours is over 50k I know they are shot. If there is any leaking they are shot, only sure way to tell is remove them and then compress by hand. If
parkrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would be cautious installing Bilstein shocks on the front. Many Monaco and Newmar owners have reported a harsh ride with new Bilsteins on the front.
I installed new Bilsteins on the rear, but have held off doing the fronts.

One of our members (Vanwill) tried several different brands of shocks on his Dynasty and reported the least harsh ride with no shocks on the front. Yes, he actually removed the front shocks and test drove the coach. He finally ended up using inexpensive Monroe shocks on the front.

The Newmar folks are reporting good results with Koni shocks on the front, but they are twice the price of Bilsteins and most Monaco coaches need four front shocks.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkrog View Post
My HR is 31 ft with 40k on it. Shocks were shot. Since yours is over 50k I know they are shot. If there is any leaking they are shot, only sure way to tell is remove them and then compress by hand. If
Thank you for the info..
Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I would be cautious installing Bilstein shocks on the front. Many Monaco and Newmar owners have reported a harsh ride with new Bilsteins on the front.
I installed new Bilsteins on the rear, but have held off doing the fronts.

One of our members (Vanwill) tried several different brands of shocks on his Dynasty and reported the least harsh ride with no shocks on the front. Yes, he actually removed the front shocks and test drove the coach. He finally ended up using inexpensive Monroe shocks on the front.

The Newmar folks are reporting good results with Koni shocks on the front, but they are twice the price of Bilsteins and most Monaco coaches need four front shocks.
Thank you vito.a, I thought I read something about shocks problems on some motorhomes. Mine has two shocks on front. I could see a lot of problems putting 4 stiff shocks on front of a motorhome for a softer ride. I'm thinking about the super steer motion control for my rigs also. Some times going around a corner, or interring a fuel station, even going slow, sounds like my rigs is falling apart. I have safari 40 ft, it's not the best riding rig, I have ever owned.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

I have not seen it mentioned here and I have no personal experience with the shocks yet. My understanding is that if you have an 8 bag/shock road-master chassis and you are going with Bilstein shocks, you want the "comfort ride" series for the front for sure. I think these are specifically valved softer for the RR8 series chassis from what I have read.

Tags
shocks