Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Bilstein Shocks for my Diplomat

I'm trying to find the right Bilstein shocks for my 1999 model 38A Diplomat. I'm confused! Isn't my chassis the RR8R chassis, since mine is a rear mount radiator? On Bilstein's web site they don't reflect that option. The only chassis they show for 1999 Diplomat is RR8S and they show a different shock required for the RR8R and RR8S?
dwkerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Try this thread and see if it helps
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/bils...-pn-84099.html
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Source Engineering would like you to know;

"We have custom Bilstein shock absorbers, for every Monaco model, in stock."

For more information:

Jim Walls
VP Sales & Customer Service
Office 541-935-0308
www.rv-chassis.com

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Source Shocks

I recently ordered and installed the Bilstein shocks ordered from Jim at Source....Very impressed at the differance in ride. Made a trip from Northern Wisconsin to Florida. Jim was very helpful. I also ordered the new Source fan and will install when we stop for an extended time in December...JC
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Do you have the roadmaster 8 air bag chassis ? And on a scale of 1-10 what was the improvement over rough roads, pot holes etc.

I just purchased a Monaco Diplomat 2006 40 ft. Its wonderful on smooth rds but awfull stiff on rougher roads. (rides like a delivery truck) Rougher roads described as about half of Californias freeways.
Diplomat lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Smile Shocks you installed

This is my first post so appologize if you receive more than one

My question is, on a scale of 1-10 in your opinion, how much improvement over pot hole rough pavement etc was the improvement.

I have just recently purchased a Monaco Diplomat and have issues with the ride. Wonderful on smooth road but once on some what rough pavement it rides like a delivery truck. I have the Roadmaster 8 air bag chassis. Appreciate any imput.

Thanks
Diplomat lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

I have a 10 bag 10 shock Roadmaster "S" and weigh 46,000 lbs with a tag axle and there is nothing you can do to smooth out the expansion joints on I-5 in California. The best of the best have a hard time with those joints. They are scary. Everywhere else in the USA I am smoothest as glass except Calif. Some of the repair work on filling in potholes is worse than the original potholes. I travel to Calif a lot because I used to live there and my mother and sister still live there.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat lon View Post
I have just recently purchased a Monaco Diplomat and have issues with the ride. Wonderful on smooth road but once on some what rough pavement it rides like a delivery truck. I have the Roadmaster 8 air bag chassis. Appreciate any input.
Your first post is well done! Congratulations.

If you would like to improve the quality of your ride consider if you will a set of Comfort Ride Air Valves from Source Engineering and perhaps a set of Koni FSD shock absorbers.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

I hate to say this but no shock is going to help those Calif overpass expansion joints or the potholes. The reason is they are so abrupt when you hit them that the shock can't move that fast and that air control will not do anything. What you are feeling is the tires impacting the joint or pothole. It is not a matter of control or smoothness. For those of us that have driven Calif I-5 we all understand.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I hate to say this but no shock is going to help those Calif overpass expansion joints or the potholes. The reason is they are so abrupt when you hit them that the shock can't move that fast and that air control will not do anything. What you are feeling is the tires impacting the joint or pothole. It is not a matter of control or smoothness. For those of us that have driven Calif I-5 we all understand.
We have had an equivalent Interstate stretch, "The I84" that had such bad expansion joints that it would shake your fillings loose for miles on end! I know what you mean.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It's not only Interstate 5 you should try 80/880 or 680 or 580 or the 99.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkerch View Post
I'm trying to find the right Bilstein shocks for my 1999 model 38A Diplomat. I'm confused! Isn't my chassis the RR8R chassis, since mine is a rear mount radiator? On Bilstein's web site they don't reflect that option. The only chassis they show for 1999 Diplomat is RR8S and they show a different shock required for the RR8R and RR8S?
On my coach (rr8r) there is a plate on the frame if you look above the pass. side front wheel that has the Roadmaster info on there.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #13

Go to Source Engineering and they will tell you which Bilsteins you need on that 1999 Diplomat

RV-Chassis
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
correct i have the koni's and calif roads beat me up too
golfnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks