Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can I use "Limited Slip" GL-5 oil in the differential?

I dumped out the oil from the rear end/diff of our Holiday Rambler 38PST - Roadmaster RR8R.

TO replace it, all that I have seen in the motorhome manual is to use GL-5 or MT-1 synthetic oil 75W90.

So, I was planning on replacing it with Valvoline 75W90 synthetic GL-5 "extreme High/Low Temperature Protection." The bottle also says "Limited Slip" on the front.

The fine print on the back goes on to say "Meets or exceeds the performance req'mts for US Mil Spec MIL-PRF-2105E, ... and API services GL-5 and MT-1.

It also says "Recommended for all standard and limited slip hypoid differentials...."

Even though it says "recommended for all standard AND limited slip diffs...", WHAT BOTHERS ME ARE THE WORDS "Limited Slip" and that the Mil Spec is MIL-PRF-2105E" instead if "2105D" that I've seen others specify for this vehicle.

Am I making too much out of the Limited Slip and Mil Spec 2105E?

Thanks for any inputs.
baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Lubricants designed to work in a "limited-slip" application are blended as such to be compatible with the clutch materials and/or clutch discs normally included as part of the "clutch pack" design of a limited slip differential setup. A standard differential does not have these lubrication requirements. Use of a standard lubricant in a limited slip application can result in loss of the limited slip capability over time....or worse. Don't want to do that. However, use of a lubricant compatible with limited slip in a standard differential is fine....just like the bottle says. The 'E' designation should merely tell you that the fluid meets a higher test standard/requirement than 'D', since it also meets the higher limited slip fluid requirement.

Hope this makes sense. If you are still aprehensive, a call to the Valvoline folks would help. If they are anything like the Mobil folks I have contacted in the past, they will be very responsive re your question.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Lubricants designed to work in a "limited-slip" application are blended as such to be compatible with the clutch materials and/or clutch discs normally included as part of the "clutch pack" design of a limited slip differential setup. A standard differential does not have these lubrication requirements. Use of a standard lubricant in a limited slip application can result in loss of the limited slip capability over time....or worse. Don't want to do that. However, use of a lubricant compatible with limited slip in a standard differential is fine....just like the bottle says. The 'E' designation should merely tell you that the fluid meets a higher test standard/requirement than 'D', since it also meets the higher limited slip fluid requirement.
Thanks Heap BigE. Good to know about using ltd slip oils in non-slip differentials.
Yep, I went on line to check the differences in the Mil Specs, and here's a quote from the Lubrizoil website (Untitled Page

• API Category GL-5 designates the type of service characteristic of gears, particularly hypoids in automotive axles under high-speed and/or low-speed, high-torque conditions. Lubricants qualified under U.S. Military specification MIL-L-2105D (formerly MIL-L-2015C), MIL-PRF-2105E and SAE J2360 satisfy the requirements of the API GL-5 service designation.
  • API Category MT-1 designates lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting API MT-1 provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil seal deterioration which is not provided by lubricants meeting only the requirements of API GL-4 and API GL-5.
  • MIL-PRF-2105E this specification released in 1995 combines the performance requirements of its predecessor (MIL-L-2105D) and API MT-1. MIL-PRF-2105E maintains all existing chemical/physical requirements, stationary axle test requirements, field test requirements and data review by the Lubricants Review Institute that were required under MIL-L-2105D. It also adds the stringent oil seal compatibility and thermal durability test requirements under API MT-1. MIL-PRF-2105E has been re-written as SAE Standard J2360.
  • SAE J2360 standard is a new global quality standard that defines a level of performance equivalent to that defined by MIL-PRF-2105E, a U.S. military standard for approval that was not available to oil blenders in all parts of the world. It includes all of the most recent axle and transmission testing requirements identified in API GL-5, API MT-1, and MIL-PRF-2105E including the need to demonstrate proof-of-performance through rigorous field testing.
baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

You are welcome, for sure. Re all those specs, etc., all I can say is ...whew! Sounds good to me! Take care....Heap
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

I used mobil 1 75w-90 limited slip gear oil in my 07 neptune last summer when i changed it. I called mobil and they said it would work great. So far after 5600 miles its working good. Hope it continues too.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote