Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

Can you adjust the steering box on our HR?

Our HR just went over 100K miles on it and we are wanting to get the front brakes checked to see what kind of shape they are in. While they are checking the brakes I also would like to have the steering box adjusted so that it is straight when we are going straight. Right now I am always leaning to the left with the steering wheel when driving straight. If the steering wheel is the face of a clock and 9.....3 is at level I am always at 8.....2. What do you folks think about my problem and my brakes? Thank You In Advance!
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #2

If you have a solid axle, a drag link adjustment will center the steering wheel, if its adjustable. Otherwise, with independent front suspension, a full alignment will fix it.

There should be inspection ports on the brakes to check lining thickness.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On most Monaco coaches you remove the plastic cover at the base of the steering column (by your knees), remove pinch bolt, lift steering wheel, center it and put it back down. Replace bolt and plastic.

15 minute job.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Hi MHUGHES,

Thanks for the info on the steering wheel centering. I have removed the plastic cover at the knees. But I don't see a pinch-bolt. From the back of the steering wheel how far down the steering column is the pinch-bolt? I was hoping to center the wheel this way. I will try to send pics but I have had trouble getting them to send on the forum. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

Steering Wheel Column

I am trying to send pics but irv2 wants the URL of my images. What does that mean?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
if you are saving your pictures to a website (like PhotoBucket) you would use the URL (the address for the photo), but if the photo is on your computer you can attach/copy it to your post using the "Manage Attachments" link located below in the "Additional Options" the window below where you are typing.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
After replacing my steering box I was not able to center the wheel due to a shaft slot issue. I removed the wheel and centered it that way. Only drawback is, the slightest movement of the wheel kicks the turn signal off. I have gotten use to it and just hold it down until I begin my turn.(only on left turns). I was unable to disconnect the shaft between the wheel and u-joint on top of steering box.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #8

I like to do a lot of the work on my coach, but I would take it to an alignment shop and just have it done correctly, steering is not something you want to just take a try at it project
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Centering your steering wheel/box

I am reading this forum and see two different problems, centering the steering wheel going down the road. And centering the wheel in the steering box

The wheel column/pinion must be centered with the section gear that connects the arm pivot shaft. To check this turn the wheel all the from lock to lock. Take note of the position of the wheel. The wheel should travel the same left and right. You can reposition the wheel on the steering shaft to make it centered. That will position the wheel in the center of the travel of the steering box.

Now adjusting the steering link to track the rv strait down the road. A good alignment shop should be able to get the job done if you don't feel comfortable with this.

Drive safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #10

Thank you all for the info that has been coming in about my steering wheel centering problem. I have decided to go with a pro alignment shop (big truck service) that handles larger chasse frames. They will also give me a front brake inspection because we now have 102K miles on our rv.

Happy Camping All
Old 03-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy9605 View Post
Thank you all for the info that has been coming in about my steering wheel centering problem. I have decided to go with a pro alignment shop (big truck service) that handles larger chasse frames. They will also give me a front brake inspection because we now have 102K miles on our rv.

Happy Camping All
Yea, good choice.
No way would I take my steering wheel off and recenter it unless there was some sort of parts change or gearbox repair that caused it to become un clocked.

Something in the system (unless the above had happened) has worn or been affected causing the alignment issue.

If you have a TRW steer gear, you may want that adjusted for free play while they are under there. At 100K+ miles, its due. Easily done and I assume with your level of coach, it's a TRW.
Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering