Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Changing the Eaton rear drive axle oil

I changed the oil in our Eaton rear drive axle yesterday. This is an Eaton 23,000 lb. axle used on many motor homes. The owner’s manual says it should be changed every 250,000 miles, or 36 months whichever occurs first. I repaired the axle flange oil seal a few weeks ago and some of the oil leaked out. I thought I would just change all the oil instead of topping off.

The first issue was finding gear oil that meets the proper specs. The owner’s manual says to use synthetic gear oil meeting MIL-L-2105D specifications. This specification has been updated to MIL-L-2105E. I researched several synthetic gear oils and decided to use Redline #57904 75W90 GL5 gear oil. This gear oil is recommended for API GL-5, GL-6, MT-1, MIL-L-2105E, SAE J2360 and Chrysler spec MS-9763. I’ve used Red Line before and had good results. The owner’s manual says it takes up to 15 quarts.
I found Red Line 57904 on Amazon in both 1 quart and 12 quart cases. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I raised the chassis all the way up on the air bags and then placed jack stands under the vertical braces next to the engine. The drain plug is a ½” square internal drive (see first picture). A half inch ratchet with a short extension fits it. The filler plug is a ½” external square, so I used a Crescent wrench. I used a large drain pan to catch the almost 4 gallons of gear oil. I removed the drain plug and left the filler plug in. This way you can test the air vent. You will hear it hissing as the oil drains. I let it drain overnight.

You need to clean the magnetic drain plug as it will have a fair amount of debris on it. The owner’s manual says to test the magnet and it should lift a 1½ lb weight. Reinsert it and torque to 35-50 ft. Lbs. Then remove the filler plug. Ours was very tight and it took both feet to loosen it. I had purchased an oil pump but didn’t use it. The filler hole is large enough so the Red Line oil bottles fit inside. You can only get about ¾ of the oil out of each bottle so you set one empty bottle aside and combine the remaining oil from three bottles into it. You repeat this until the differential is full. Ours took 14 quarts.

The manual is also very specific that you fill it up to the bottom of the filler, not just below. This is so the axle bearings get sufficient oil. The entire process takes only about an hour and could be quicker the second time around.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaton rear drain.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	220805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaton rear filler.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	220806  

vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Looks like My Eaton- Mine take's 25 pints- Have it changed at Speedco-- I use Shell Spirax and change it every 50,000 miles -- Not by the annual schedule.
Actually 3.5 Gallons Fills Mine.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, Shell Spirax S6 AXME is one of the few that meets the MIL-L-2105E specification. The problem is now that Speedco has been purchased by Loves Travel Stops the pricing has gone up.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote