Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial has 54k mi on it and is showing some unusual wear on the right front. (cupping)
I'm going to take it in for a chassis alignment soon. I had the tires (outside rears to fronts) rotated at about 35k mi.
The question is, what is the alignment procedure at Monaco when the MH is built? Has anyone had this done on their 8 bag chassis? What did it cost and how long did it take? Branson Motor Coach will do the alignment for $199 not including time needed to adjust the rear axle if needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Our 04 Imperial has 54k mi on it and is showing some unusual wear on the right front. (cupping)
I'm going to take it in for a chassis alignment soon. I had the tires (outside rears to fronts) rotated at about 35k mi.
The question is, what is the alignment procedure at Monaco when the MH is built? Has anyone had this done on their 8 bag chassis? What did it cost and how long did it take? Branson Motor Coach will do the alignment for $199 not including time needed to adjust the rear axle if needed.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The question is, what is the alignment procedure at Monaco when the MH is built? Has anyone had this done on their 8 bag chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Regardless of what you have done, Please have your "Ride Height Adjustment" checked. I've found out it is "one the most important things" that can be done for your roadmaster chassis's ride. Just having the height settings off or under an inch, the over-all long term effect can shorten the life of your tires, air-bags (from heat cracking), and driveshaft by wearing out the U-joint needle bearings at the rear axle. handling. Doc
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't know what the Monaco alignment procedure is. Apparently when my coach was built the alignment guy called in sick. I had the front end aligned at a local truck service shop when the coach was pretty new (about 4k miles). The coach wandered all over the road and would not track straight at all. It was off (mostly toe in) and the result was dramatic after the alignment. They charged me $89 for a front end alignment on a computer based alignment system. They did not think that the rear needed alignment.

I agree with Doc, ride height adjustment is very important and it made a huge improvement in ride quality. Mine was off about an inch or more front and back. improper ride height can have an adverse effect on suspension and drive train life as well.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

My 206 Diplomat with 33k miles had its first alignment at 10k miles because I saw some inner-tred wear on the front. Had it done again at 20k miles because of a lot more wear and cupping. Finally found an alignment shop at 30k miles that said the kingpins were bad. Monaco paid for the repairs

Kept bugging Monaco til they paid 1/2 for new front-tires too (they had 32k miles by then, so i was happy about the split). Difference was amazing.

I doubt it got an alignment off the assembly line.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi guys,
Had the aslignment done yesterday. They toe in was way off, probably due to driving on rough roads. The right front tire is worn too far to run many more miles so I'm going to get newbies on the front.
The ride hieght was too low by about an inch according to the shop and they had to modify the brackets in the rear to get it to regulate at the proper height. I measured the height at the upper and lower bag mounting plates like the book tells me to and came up with over 10"!!
The book states that the measurement is supposed to be 8 1/4 in front and 8 1/2 in the rear. When I go in for the tires next week I think I'll have the boss check it himself and see what happened. More next week when I take it back.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #7

My 2005 diplomat also had cupping on the right front tire. I took it to a truck allignment place and the adjusted the toe in and found everything else to be good. Then I rotated and balanced the tires and it seems to be driving better than ever now. Just a note about tire rotation. My tire place told me that the tires must remain in pairs. I was originally going to put the fronts on the inside rears but on his advice I kept the fronts together and moved them to the right rear as a set. The right rears are now the front. Next rotation will move the swap the left rears to the front. They were balanced using a small bag of glass beads that go into the tire bag and all. This works very well as it balances the entire rotating mass (axel, brake drum, wheel and tire) and continues to make adjustments as the tire wears.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Got the tires today and had them recheck the ride height. The mech said that the setting had "changed" from where he set it. He put it back in the right place and now we'll see what it does. He indicated that the valve may be shot. 4+ yrs and 55k I guess it can get a bit off if it wants.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He indicated that the valve may be shot. 4+ yrs and 55k I guess it can get a bit off if it wants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pusherpilot, are you planning on getting your front and rear ride height valve/assembly replaced.
Wonder if your valve was a part/s failure or just worn out from repeated useage.
To bad we don't have a single ride height POC at Roadmaster who really knows it all.
Seem to get several different views, but no single voice at Monaco on proper ride height requirements/adjustments. My owner's manual reads one thing, service rep's say another.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I think the culprit is the valve on the left rear. It listed to port when I got it back on its pad and now after having them re-do it it is level. The primary concern with ride height is the u-joints. We're going to Ohio soon and will take a daily check on the height along the way, if it's out of line we'll take it back in for correction. Whatever it takes.
This shop is very good with virtually all their business being tour buses, bus conversions and DPs. They are full service chassis certified for Spartan and Prevo. They are also NOT cheap, their shop rate is $120 per hr!! They do have one deal tho, a drive thru bus wash that they charge $65 to do a MH, extra for the roof. They can't do the big rotary brushes with a RV due to all the "stuff" hanging on to it. They charge $45 to run a tour bus thru it.
If you're in the area and need chassis service or are in a breakdown condition they can do the job. Just remember I said they weren't cheap!
www.bransonmotorcoach.com/
Old 08-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The primary concern with ride height is the u-joints. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pusherpilot, I know exactly what you mean. I had to replace one of my U-joints after only ten thousand miles. Found out during a Tranny lube change, I had a busted needle bearings at the rear axle drive shaft. That could have really gotten ugly out in the middle of no-where. Please make sure your U-joints are actually greased. DocUSAF
Old 08-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Our Safari Zanzi scrapped the U-Joints in Illinois after only 15k miles. The symptom was vibration under acceleration and when decelerating. It never broke but the guy at the shop said it was just a matter of time so when you get that feeling in the seat of your pants obey your instincts!!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Pusherpilot, you're exactly right....I know it was your u-joint needle bearings located near the axle. It was only a matter of time before you would have been broken down from a dropped drive shaft... Please check the grease at both u-joints and drive shaft...
Also make sure your ride height is correct. Mine was off 3/4 inch after 12,000 miles. Also you may want to dump those cheap monroe factory installed shocks. I'm putting on Koni all around ASAP... Can't afford to keep ridingaround tearing up the coach and ride with bad shocks.