Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Drive Axle end gasket replacement

Looking to change the gasket on my drive axle shaft (passenger side), which is a PITA but doable. I'm getting some seepage from the hub around shaft end cap.

I haven't checked the fluid level in the Differential yet, but my question is can I get by for a while before I change it if the level is still Okay (which would indicate not a lot of fluid seeping out) Picture shows the seepage, this is about 3000 miles worth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	207500  
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As long as the oil level is OK, you should be fine. You'll have to clean your wheels (and perhaps tires). Did you try re-torquing the nuts?
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Not yet.... been looking for a torque value online. Should be around 50 to 60 ft lbs I think

Any clue on that?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post
Looking to change the gasket on my drive axle shaft (passenger side), which is a PITA but doable.
You can use RTV silicone instead of gasket (like Permatex Blue). Just need to be sure both surfaces are oil free before applying. I would jack up the wheel so the oil level is below axle shaft mounting flange, then pull the axle out a foot or so, clean everything up and apply the RTV and reassemble. I have done lots this way.
Be sure to check the diff fluid level, and top off if needed, at the end of the job.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would tighten the nuts...what ever it takes to move slightly. Cut a couple rolls of toilet paper open and fill the space around the axle with it to catch any oil if it still leaks.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #6

That’s an easy job. Remove the bolts, take a small sledgehammer and hit the side of the axle to break the seal and pull out the axle shaft. Put a bowl under the axle shaft to catch any grease. Clean the gasket material and put a thin coat of rtv on both the drum and the axle, put on a paper gasket and install and torque the bolts.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If your axle shaft uses the "tapered dowel"s to align/lock the axles shaft in place, it can be hard to remove. Hitting the side of the axle flange will do nothing.

You need to remove all the flange retaining nuts and use a "large" sledge hammer to hit the center of the axle shaft (as if you are driving it in). That will cause the axle shaft to bounce and the dowels will pop out enough to remove them.

Tip: Leave the nuts threaded on so they are flush with the end of the studs - then if you miss your target with the sledge it's easier to fix the thread on the stud.

Also don't use a gasket and RTV. One or the other. You can use gasket sealer with a gasket - but not RTV silicone.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	207801  
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Also check your breather vent on the rear diff. If they block up they can create pressure and cause an oil leak.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Re-torqued and checked Dif fluid. Fluid came out as soon as I loosened the plug.

Checked the breather tube and cleaned it. It wasn't plugged.

I'll take my trip and keep and eye on it

Thanks guys
Old 06-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam2008 View Post
Fluid came out as soon as I loosened the plug.

Thanks guys
Sounds like it is overfilled. Normally the full level is at, or just below, the bottom of fill plug. If oil was hot when you checked it, that could explain why the level was high. Or maybe last mechanic to check/fill it had the coach on an angle. Or there could be water in the differential (water settles at bottom and raises oil level) but then your oil would probably look brown/milky.

A clogged breather can cause pressure to build up and leak out - but it would come out of the wheel seals, not the axle shaft gasket (unless of course the gasket was already shot/leaking some).
Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #11

Overfilled or not, its not going to leak out the axle gasket. There is always oil sitting against it.

For that matter, oil sits against the inner seal too. If you park on a slope, does oil run out of your wheel seals.

Overfilling a differential can cause the oil to push out the breather, but seals do, as the name implies, seal. They will not leak if submerged in oil.

Sent from my VS835 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
What came out was just a dribble, nothing to worry about, if anything its a testament to how little actually leaked out over several thousand miles since I bought it. A little oil can make a big mess sometimes.

It's all retorqued now so the true test will be this next trip. We're leaving Dallas on the 1st, first stop to visit my son and grandbabies at Ft. Benning then on to Fredrick MD, Dayton OH, Grand Rapids, then over the UP of Michigan to Oshkosh for a week of Airplane overload at EAA Airventure.

Tags
ace, gas, replace, replacement