Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
erratic oil pressure gauge

We have a 05 HR Neptune with a 300 Cummins. We have experienced an erratic oil pressure gauge. On a 400 mile driving day the oil pressure gauge indicated 120 psi. We stopped and when engine was in idle the pressure returned to normal around 60. When we started again it peaked and then bounced between 60 and 120. Seems like a defective gauge or bad wire. Everything was running smoothly. We will call Cummins, but are wondering if anyone has experienced this problem?
rambler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler05 View Post
Seems like a defective gauge or bad wire.
More likely a bad oil pressure sending unit.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW One symptom of a bad gage is for it to Not go to zero when it should. My boost gage failed this way. Made it real simple to determine if it was a bad sensor or gage. Is there moisture, like rain, involved?

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We were returning to So. CA from AZ and we did have a few weeks of off and on rain. Not like CA though. It was dry and in the high 60's on the drive home.

Rambler 05
Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your input.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

have had erratic oil pressure readings and it was always the oil pressure sender. have replaced it twice in 14 years. get it from spartan for $40.00.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate all the response.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

You might first verify that the connection to the oil pressure sensor is clean and tight.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Feedback so far seems to be right on WRT troubleshooting. But what I picked up on was your reported readings. FWIW, my dash oil pressure meter's max-scale is 120, but when the engine is at running temp, the gauge never reads above 60. At idle, the gauge reading falls to approximately 10 (the gauge only has zero, 60 and 120 reading marks). I was alarmed at this low reading initially, so I broke out the Cummins Operation & Maintenance Manual and found:
- 10 is the minimum allowable at low idle
- 30 is the minimum allowable at rated speed
- 75 is the "regulated pressure".
I'm guessing that my 04 Dip Cummins ISC-315/330 is basically the same as yours, so your reading of 120 sounds like an erroneous reading from the git-go.

I'd be interested in hearing others offer comments on their observed meter's readings.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Indicated Oil Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
...so I broke out the Cummins Operation & Maintenance Manual and found:
- 10 is the minimum allowable at low idle
- 30 is the minimum allowable at rated speed
- 75 is the "regulated pressure".
I'm guessing that my 04 Dip Cummins ISC-315/330 is basically the same as yours, so your reading of 120 sounds like an erroneous reading from the git-go.

I'd be interested in hearing others offer comments on their observed meter's readings.
My ISC 330 engine oil pressure gauge appears to be solid and working predictably. Upon start-up while the engine is still cold, pressure will be somewhere around 30 PSI at idle, depending on initial ambient temperature. It then decreases as the engine temperature rises.

Once the engine is up to 180*, normal operating temperature, oil pressure at idle drops to around 10-13 PSI. At normal operating temperature the oil pressure is consistently at 60 PSI when the engine is in the normal 1,400 to 1,800 RPM operating range. It goes down a little when water temps start approaching 200* climbing hills in hot weather. But I've never seen it go below ~50 PSI under those conditions.

My gauge also has a coarse scale with tick marks at 0, 30, 60, 90, and 120 PSI so all of the above readings are necessarily approximate.

I'd be interested to hear what others have observed on their transmission oil temperature gauge while operating their coach. Mine does not move except during a "stall" test - i.e. putting it in Drive, depressing the brake pedal, and revving the engine. Even then it only goes up a little.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave:
"I'd be interested to hear what others have observed on their transmission oil temperature gauge while operating their coach"

My tranny temp meter-reading never reaches even 140. I got it higher one day as you did: kept the brakes on and went to high idle for some 10 minutes....at which time the tranny-temp meter got just above 140.

Once I tried the diagnostic mode on the Allison control panel, and (if I recall correctly), some of the diagnostics would not read back to me, citing an error code something like: "transmission too cold".
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Allison Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
Dave:
"I'd be interested to hear what others have observed on their transmission oil temperature gauge while operating their coach"

My tranny temp meter-reading never reaches even 140. I got it higher one day as you did: kept the brakes on and went to high idle for some 10 minutes....at which time the tranny-temp meter got just above 140.

Once I tried the diagnostic mode on the Allison control panel, and (if I recall correctly), some of the diagnostics would not read back to me, citing an error code something like: "transmission too cold".
Robi,

Interesting. Maybe this should be a different thread. But in the mean time - beyond checking the oil level via the control panel, I have not tried the diagnostic mode. That said, the oil level function works as advertised. If the oil is too cool or has not settled following a period of driving the coach, the transmission knows and relates that information to the control panel with the appropriate error code or count down (settling time).

That indicates that a temperature sensor/sending unit is functioning, which begs the question - are there different sending units that drive the dash gauge and the TCM (transmission control module)? In a nod to the original thread subject, engine oil pressure indications, the same question pertains. Are there different sending units for the dash gauge and ECM (engine control module)?

I'd really like to resolve this since we do a fair amount of mountain driving and I don't want to unnecessarily burden the transmission. I'm learning to manage engine water temps on long climbs by manually gearing down and keeping turbo boost at or below 25 PSI. It would be good to know how the transmission reacts to the various inputs.

Still, I hate to take it in to a shop without more concrete, quantifiable symptoms. Trouble shooting (trouble-guessing?) at $100+ per hour can get expensive.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #13

Dave, if the Allison Sump Temp Sensor has failed then you would get a trouble code #33 if you ran the keypad diagnostics. You need to run the keypad diagnostics.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #14

My coach has had the same erratic pressure readings as rambler5. The oil pressure has been checked and is correct. Need to find out and get corrected. Let me know if anyone gets the solution
Thanks
Whitofok is offline   Reply With Quote