Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Roadmaster Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #1

Fuel Gauge out, Monaco. Who has dealt with it?

I did a search, and came up empty handed.

Fuel gauge does not work on a Monaco Diplomat I am looking to purchase. I want to get an idea of what I will be out worst case scenario to fix it before I make an offer.

In a Chevy truck, I know it can set you back around 800 bucks (usually a sending unit). But I have no idea on a motor home.

Thank you to anyone that can shed some light, whether it may cost me a couple hundred, or over a grand to remedy. Again, looking for anyone that has been here, worst case scenario number to fix.

Should also mention, the home runs and drives fine. So pump works, guessing either sending unit, wire, or gauge is the culprit.

Eric
atc-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc-eric View Post
I did a search, and came up empty handed.

Fuel gauge does not work on a Monaco Diplomat I am looking to purchase. I want to get an idea of what I will be out worst case scenario to fix it before I make an offer.

In a Chevy truck, I know it can set you back around 800 bucks (usually a sending unit). But I have no idea on a motor home.

Thank you to anyone that can shed some light, whether it may cost me a couple hundred, or over a grand to remedy. Again, looking for anyone that has been here, worst case scenario number to fix.

Should also mention, the home runs and drives fine. So pump works, guessing either sending unit, wire, or gauge is the culprit.

Eric

Most likely it's the in tank sensor. It's made by Centroid. If you have to replace the sensor, they are in the $80-100 range.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Most likely it's the in tank sensor. It's made by Centroid. If you have to replace the sensor, they are in the $80-100 range.
Boy that would be fantastic. Thank you for the response.

Eric
Old 08-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
YC1

Welcome to the forum. What year is your unit? It is easy to access my sender. The forum members will have a diagram for the system.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just purchased a new to us 2003 Windsor and after what we thought was a thorough final inspection to identify any problems we found the fuel gauge not working when the dealer followed us to the gas station to provide us the promised half tank of fuel...following this thread as I haven't had a chance yet to determine my exact problem. Had the coach one week today!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Boy that would be fantastic. Thank you for the response.

Eric

Here is the web:

http://www.centroidproducts.com/

They will help you troubleshoot. They work completely by email and Joel is their tech. Very knowledgeable.

You will have to open the curb side compartment where the fuel tank fill is located. It may be secured by screws at the bottom edge. It will hinge up & you can see the sender. It's hockey puck shaped and secured to the top of the tank. Has 4 wires connected.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #7

Centroid was great on the phone, it came already calibrated and so i just stuck it in and all good now on my 2003 Endeavor oh yea...less than $100 delivered...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
thats pretty good - I was looking at the repair history for the previous owner of my new machine and he paid 137 just parts for a sending unit in 2009.

Ill also say that it looks like they put a gauge on about 1 month before - I guess in an attempt to fix it. cracked trim around the screw holes on dash .. no other history indicating obvious dash removal.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
thats pretty good - I was looking at the repair history for the previous owner of my new machine and he paid 137 just parts for a sending unit in 2009

Centroid won't sell to you direct if you live in a state where they have a dealer. I'm guessing your previous owner purchased through a dealer.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Centroid won't sell to you direct if you live in a state where they have a dealer. I'm guessing your previous owner purchased through a dealer.

I dont think the owner did the install. I was just offering that as a price reference - not sure where it was obtained from- sorry for confusion.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the welcome, and the responses.

I absolutely love how active this forum is. All the others I used to be a big part of have died off with the dawning of facebook.

The Monaco sold before I could make a move, so I no longer need information on a fuel gauge.

I cant believe how fast these homes sell. I have been hot on a number of them in the past month, and you just cant keep up with them.

Still on the hunt. But man Im getting tired of shopping.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Photo attached, if you look in the left corner of the fuel tank the white wires are your sending unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	137579  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Here is the web:

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

They will help you troubleshoot. They work completely by email and Joel is their tech. Very knowledgeable.

You will have to open the curb side compartment where the fuel tank fill is located. It may be secured by screws at the bottom edge. It will hinge up & you can see the sender. It's hockey puck shaped and secured to the top of the tank. Has 4 wires connected.
Steve, mine is not broken yet but thank you for the link! Going to add it to my files.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

I cant believe how fast these homes sell. I have been hot on a number of them in the past month, and you just cant keep up with them.

Still on the hunt. But man Im getting tired of shopping.
notice the date I registered? I didn't start looking then but close. Dont give up hope. You will eventually find exactly what you want.

Tags
fuel, monaco